• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller's Guidebook?!?!

E

EvilDrGanymede

Ok, I've heard mention of a T20 Players Guide. There's a "Traveller's Guidbook" (which surely is a typo for "Guidebook") in the Catalog section here, but no further info.

I gather that this is going to be a trimmed down T20 that contains everything one needs to be a player, right? Does that include full chargen rules - ie. will it be fully OGL, will it still require a D20 corebook to make characters?

Basically, tell me all about it. What's going to be in it, roughly??

Hello

As for as I know there will be a Traveller Guidebook for players

This topic has been discuss before.
Go to the below URL
T20-Revisions Required

FROM MJD June 05, 2003
Consumer sighted... Marketing solution ready... prepare for launch...

The 2003/4 salvo (other than Travellers' Aide) will include: Gateway Domain (July/Aug), Starfall (Sept/Oct) and the Players Book (Nov/Dec) (these are provisional aim points)

2004 will begin with the second cluster book (the Imperial Trade Cluster) and continue with, well, other stuff.

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:
Ok, I've heard mention of a T20 Players Guide. There's a "Traveller's Guidbook" (which surely is a typo for "Guidebook") in the Catalog section here, but no further info.

I gather that this is going to be a trimmed down T20 that contains everything one needs to be a player, right? Does that include full chargen rules - ie. will it be fully OGL, will it still require a D20 corebook to make characters?

Basically, tell me all about it. What's going to be in it, roughly??
It will be OGL but not d20. It will contain the rules missing from the THB such as character creation and applying experience.

The book will contain the original classes and races from the THB, plus a number of new classes. The basic combat rules and an expanded equipment list are also included in the book.

As a matter of fact, I just got the final draft from Martin and will be arranging for a wider playtest and bug finding mission here shortly.

Hunter

Originally posted by hunter:
It will be OGL but not d20. It will contain the rules missing from the THB such as character creation and applying experience.
This is good. Will you be changing anything from the T20 book in the conversion to OGL, like how skills and feats are used and what the lists are?

And it sounds like this is rather going to replace the T20 book... or are you planning to do T20 GM book that has all the other stuff (world building, ship building, etc)?

Originally posted by Anduirnal:
:eek: What does it mean, "it will not be d20" ?
Is it still d20 compatible ?
It simply means it won't have the d20 logo on the back of the book (making it an OGL book) since it has information in it (like full chargen and combat rules I believe) that allow it to be used without access to a d20 corebook.

www.wizards.com/d20 for the official info on d20 and OGL

Casey

Originally posted by Casey:
]It simply means it won't have the d20 logo on the back of the book (making it an OGL book) since it has information in it (like full chargen and combat rules I believe) that allow it to be used without access to a d20 corebook.
Basically, to have the D20 logo on it a book must conform to the D20 'contract' and therefore cannot have any character creation rules in 9and a few other things). All the D20 open content also falls under the OGL (Open Gaming Licence), so if you use the OGL but leave off the D20 logo you can use whatever you want.

The D20 contract was created to enable wizards to keep a requirement for one of thier core books to be used with every d20 product, but the OGL loophole kinda slipped under thier radar I think...

Shane

Originally posted by Shane Mclean:
The D20 contract was created to enable wizards to keep a requirement for one of thier core books to be used with every d20 product, but the OGL loophole kinda slipped under thier radar I think...
[/QB]
I don't think so - they were the ones that put it there in the first place. I think they reckoned that if a book had the d20 logo on it, then it'd be vastly more popular than one that was OGL because it had the 'brand recognition' thing going for it.

Fact is, OGL isn't all that different to d20 in practise anyway, so I think people ended up seeing the two as pretty much the same thing.

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:

Fact is, OGL isn't all that different to d20 in practise anyway, so I think people ended up seeing the two as pretty much the same thing.
A OGL game *can* be quite different than standard d20 since it doesn't have to conform to the d20 SRD at all (another possible reason to go OGL instead of d20). Everquest, Mutants & Masterminds, Godlike, the Action! System (which isn't even d20 at all IIRC being based on Fuzion), etc.

But yeah I can see how it'd be easy to confuse the two if you know about OGL and that it's somehow related to d20. I think WotC is banking on people not realizing there's more out there than just d20 and that OGL can mean
"full d20 game without a WotC core book".

From what I understand for example the CT/MT rules could be released under the OGL (or at least whatever parts were deemed open content).

Casey

The book will contain the original classes and races from the THB, plus a number of new classes. The basic combat rules and an expanded equipment list are also included in the book.

As a matter of fact, I just got the final draft from Martin and will be arranging for a wider playtest and bug finding mission here shortly.

Hunter [/QB]
Well my lot have already playtested the original Draft Hunter, and are just waiting for the second draft from MJD, but what we saw looks good so far

I am wondering about this :
1) T20 second printing is yet unheard of.
2) T20 Players Guide is said to be near completion.

Could it be that there won't be any T20 second printing, but only the T20 Players Guide, if later this year.

Just wondering.

Originally posted by Anduirnal:
I am wondering about this :
1) T20 second printing is yet unheard of.
2) T20 Players Guide is said to be near completion.

Could it be that there won't be any T20 second printing, but only the T20 Players Guide, if later this year.

Just wondering.
You might want to read Hunter's latest rant. T20 2nd printing is indeed on its way:

The Traveller's Handbook has been in the hands of the printer (a rather LARGE and well known printer that shall remain nameless at the moment) since early July. On July 18th we were told that the reprint would be finished and shipping to distributors on Aug 15. A bit longer than I had hoped, but acceptable.
The T20 Players guide is almost done being written which is very different from 'at the printers' or 'almost done with production.' There is an awful lot that happens to a book after the actual words are done and it all takes time :D

Hey Hunter! What is the update from the printer in regards to the TH? I hope it is good news, cause after reading your posted er,..."rants", I feared either a stroke or an angry late night visit to the printer's house! ;)

Your website is doing a great job in further interesting those I've directed toward the game, but my copy of the Handbook is starting to look a little like my old starship...and I don't think a new coat of paint is going to help, either!

Is this going to change anything with the update to 3.5 for the D&D books? I think there was something on the Wizards page that said that everything from now on will have to conform to that SRD. Maybe that's just for D&D...

Scout

To my knowledge, publishers still have the option of using either SRD. As to which one publishers will cater to, that depends on the whims of the market.

In the case of T20, Hunter has already posted that he's not interested in "keeping up with the Joneses" and updating T20 to the Revised SRD, at least at this time. Considering that the primary differences that could be incorporated lie in feats, combat and environment, I don't think it's a difficult task for a Referee with an afternoon free to integrate.

In fact, I'd wager it'd make a great little article for COTI, if someone wanted to run that suggestion past the Powers That Be. ;)

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Traveller's Handbook, T20 Ref Screen, and other News

any chance that we could get actual release dates?

Back