• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller T20 on Fantasy Grounds

jlac

SOC-6
On the Fantasy Grounds game calendar (found in the community section of FantasyGrounds.com) there is a Traveller T20 game forming. So far, only two people have signed up. If any of you are Fantasy Grounds users and want to give it a try, the campaign name is Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Impossible Mission Force. The description is "Running errands for the IISS during the Solomani Rim War," and the ruleset listed is "Traveller T20 / Reaver's Deep."

For those of you not familiar with Fantasy Grounds, its basically a virtual tabletop for playing PnP roleplaying games over the internet. I've only played fantasy campaigns with it, but there are a couple of great d20 Modern rulesets available, and apparently someone has built a Traveller T20 ruleset as well. It works pretty well for gaming if its tough to find a live game in your area.

Anyways, I hope some more people sign up...I am eager to try Traveller T20 any way that I can.

Sounds interesting... Kudos to the person who did the build!
Did they make it publically available?

EDIT: It's Mr. Bhoins Klooge game

If you read the campaign description, it isn't run using Fantasy Grounds. It is just posted there to get the game in front of more people.

Lets see, it is run Wednesday evenings, using Klooge. I wonder who is running that campaign.

Edit: Oops Missed Tom's edit.

I do have a player's license for Fantasy Grounds. (In fact we have two.) I personally don't like the mechanics of Fantasy Grounds enough to write T20 for it. Though I do play Shadowrun using it.

Besides I would not ask someone to pay for software to see if they really want to play in my campaign. So if I were going to run a campaign, which I coincidentally do, I wouldn't expect someone to pay to play. (Though I will accept Daz Gift certificates, hey I am addicted.
) So I would only run campaigns using software where the Player version is either free, (ScreenMonkey or GRiP) or the software allows the GM to provide floating licenses for the players. (Klooge, and I have 7 licenses. Battlegrounds does as well, but the software isn't stable yet and I don't have any licenses for that.)

I am also a realist and know that in RPG campaigns that people leave and others join. Buying licenses to give other people, while a nice idea, is hardly a financially sound idea.

Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
I do have a player's license for Fantasy Grounds... I do play Shadowrun using it.
You must be a player in the game then... they solved the dice dilema I take it...

I am also a realist and know that in RPG campaigns that people leave and others join. Buying licenses to give other people, while a nice idea, is hardly a financially sound idea.
It sure takes a dedicated Ref to buy that many licenses :eek:

Fantasy Grounds is also concerned about "lite" license people connecting and getting full version of the ruleset...

Originally posted by Berg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
I do have a player's license for Fantasy Grounds... I do play Shadowrun using it.
You must be a player in the game then... they solved the dice dilema I take it...

It sure takes a dedicated Ref to buy that many licenses :eek:

Fantasy Grounds is also concerned about "lite" license people connecting and getting full version of the ruleset...
</font>[/QUOTE]Fantasy Grounds is too rules lite. You manually solve the dice situation. But since you have to pick up the dice and roll them anyway.

It was $100 for the Master/Client and 6 additional licenses. Considering I paid $65 for Grip including shipping, or some such nonsense, I considered it a bargain.

Considering I paid $65 for Grip including shipping, or some such nonsense, I considered it a bargain.
:eek: A boxed editon just sold on E-bay for $15 US...

Seems like alot of prople have tweaked the xml to make "builds" for other games. Not sure of the quality, but they're doing it.

Originally posted by Berg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BetterThanLife:
Considering I paid $65 for Grip including shipping, or some such nonsense, I considered it a bargain.
:eek: A boxed editon just sold on E-bay for $15 US...

Seems like alot of prople have tweaked the xml to make "builds" for other games. Not sure of the quality, but they're doing it.
</font>
Oh they have tweeked the XML. (Compared to GRiP and kLoOge a nightmare undertaking.) But there is no facility for automating the character sheets beyond dropping modifiers into a box before you roll the dice. Second issue, and this is a copyright issue in some cases. Everything the GM loads into his machine goes into the player's machines. (Icons, maps, pics, etc.) For example scanning in Adventure 1 The Kinunir, (or getting it in the Traveller edition) the players get all of the maps, and any icons you have loaded.) It is transferred to their machine when they log on or when you load the map for the first time. So if I scan in a map for use, it comes under fair use, but if I distribute said map, it is no longer fair use. (Yes you can screen capture Klooge or Grip for a similar effect but not the same effect and the GM isn't distributing it, the player is ripping it.) Though as I recall Icons get transferred for Grip maps don't.

Back