• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller by VoIP or Ventrilo?

Stainless

SOC-12
I know there is Traveller by e-mail (anyone care to inform me on how you break into that?), but has anyone tried playing using voice over IP (VoIP) or a similar system (e.g., Ventrilo)?

http://www.ventrilo.com/

I use Ventrilo on a regular basis for group online flying (Forgotten Battles WWII combat sim) and it works very well. Granted, someone has to buy some server space, but it's relatively cheap. It strikes me that it would be the closest thing to meeting face-to-face.

There's a game running on these boards right now. You'd be most welcome. 3 full time players + ref and some occasionals at the mo.

Now would be a good time to join if you wanna check it out.

Check out the Adventurers board for more details.

LARP is the keyword....

Current State of Play for where we're at.

Executive Summary for the story so far....

PM the ref, Kafka47, if you like what you see.

I'm a player, my character is an adventure sportswoman called Panthera...

Thanks for the info. Klaus. I'll look into it, but I quite like the face-to-face type of play. Perhaps I'll look into GRIP Traveller as a compromise.

Originally posted by Stainless:
Thanks for the info. Klaus. I'll look into it, but I quite like the face-to-face type of play. Perhaps I'll look into GRIP Traveller as a compromise.
Yeah, GRIP (and other client-server tabletop software similar to it) is real time gaming. It's conducted via a chat interface, really not much different than getting 6 players in an AOL chat room, etc.

Of course, GRIP has a full suite of tools like dice roller, custom character sheets, and the ability to use macros (via a CSML scripting language), as well as battlemaps, the ability to send sound files and JPEGS from the GM to the players, etc etc. Face-to-face gaming is the best, but if that's not possible.... then a "virtual tabletop" like GRIP is the closest thing you can get to real-time gaming with your friends.

And yes, GRIP supposedly has support for VoiceIP software, but it seems to have gone with RogelWilco, an obsolete Voice software. We never tried that in our GRIP campaign, since the majority of our players really didn't care for voice-gaming.

Thanks for the info. A pitty the Terra Incognita CT campaign is in the wrong time zone for me (sorry I'm not going to get up at 3 am to play!). I've now posted an advertisement on the GRiP boards, so who knows?!

There has been some "lurkers" on the GRiP Boards from the UK/Europe that have GRiP, so hopefully they will be starting a game soon.
Mal has run a session in the morning PST, which was more time friendly to his european players...

Originally posted by Stainless:
Thanks for the endorsement Klaus! But, Stainless there is no reason why you cannot do both. The adventure on the Boards does chew up some commitment, as ideally, I would like one a day but quite prepared for once a week, just make a dozy so that others are not left hanging for you next move.

Back