• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Trade and Commerce/Copyright questions

Anton

SOC-11
Hi,

I'm running the Linkworlds adventure for my T20 group. I made the mistake in the first proper session of not working out in advance what cargos, passengers and speculative goods were available for the Grendelsbane crew - so a lot of dice rolling and table-checking later, I decided in future to do all that stuff in between sessions :)

I also decided to automate...

What I plan on doing is:

a) Come up with an Excel spreadsheet to take care of the starship book-keeping; and

b) Come up with a way of generating random cargos, passengers and trade goods.

The spreadsheet is the easy bit, and before I write it I was just wondering if anyone had already done something similar (no point re-inventing the wheel).

It would basically be a sheet of five data blocks, one per week plus one for 'month end'.
Income would be divided into 'legal' - passengers (single & double occupancy) for high, middle & low passage; the various categories of cargo; speculative goods. And 'illegal' - smuggling profits.

Expenditure would be for fuel, maintenance, annual refit, crew wages, life support, landing fees, and fees (and bribes!) and local taxes.

Am I missing anything?

The 'monthly' part would then subtract the mortgage payment, and a 10% Imperial tax on profit (IMTU).

The random cargo /spec. goods/ passenger bit will be trickier, but one of my players is a perl-script junkie and he reckons he could write an app quite easily.

What we're looking at doing is having a front end that will let you type in either the UWPs of the origin and destination worlds (or, now that I have Gal24 with the T20 Gateway domain, the trade codes), and any Broker, Steward, or Recruiting skills involved and will output randomly generated cargos, spec. goods and passenger lists.

Would there be any interest in this?

If I was to make them available on a website, and apart from including the standard copyright notices, would there be any problem with copyright? (None that I can see with the spreadsheet, but the cargo application would be using the T20 tables as it's source).

Hope this makes some kind of sense!

Anton

I would also be very interested.

I know I have encountered serveral similar applications in the past, but that is no reason not to continue with yours, especially given the different slants that each person puts on their version.

A quick search showed a couple of other spreadsheets for doing this, but the only one that seemed to still be available was the T4-based Traveller Trading Spreadsheet from the Missouri Traveller Archive - http://traveller.mu.org/archive/T4/TTSFL97.zip

I looked at it quickly and the full version (linked above) appears to be pretty impressive, but I am not certain it does exactly the same things you are taking about doing.

Originally posted by BrennanHawkwood:

A quick search showed a couple of other spreadsheets for doing this, but the only one that seemed to still be available was the T4-based Traveller Trading Spreadsheet from the Missouri Traveller Archive - http://traveller.mu.org/archive/T4/TTSFL97.zip

I looked at it quickly and the full version (linked above) appears to be pretty impressive, but I am not certain it does exactly the same things you are taking about doing.
I looked at it some more and TTSFL97 seems to be broken...at least on my machine. Could be explained by my using Excel 2002 and TTSFL97 being buildt in Excel 97 but I'm not sure.

I couldn't get that spreadsheet to work either...

I think from reading the Welcome tab that there's an Access database missing?

My spreadsheet would be much simpler (read: less functionality!) - this one though was essentially going to do the work of my two proposed apps.

[Edit: changed to specify the correct missing database].

Why don't you people want than program that run by itself. I donot have than excel speadsheet program on my machine.

Well, for me, the simplest solution for a 'financial'-type application is to use Excel.

The perl-script application, though (the one that will generate cargos, etc.), once compiled, will run on most systems, as far as I know.

Nobody's answered the copyright question, though? Is there any problem there, do people think?

Anton

Originally posted by Anton:
Nobody's answered the copyright question, though? Is there any problem there, do people think?
Anton,

IANAL, but I think if you keep it fan-based, provide the standard QuikLink disclaimers, then it's probably fine.

I'm a non practicing lawyer, but the following is not to be considered legal advice that would constitute an attorney client relationship. (how's that for official sounding?) The lists and tables are copyrighted, which means that in general you can't use them in another work without permission (there are exceptions, such as quotes for reviews, academic works, etc., and I don't know, but doubt, that one exists for gaming). However, there might be an open game content license here (probably not, but I haven't looked at the pdf b/c my computer is too slow to waste my life on 72 page pdfs). So, you're left with licensing (which is too much of a legal pain for them to do in this case, probably), or infringing on their copyright with a notice that the material you are using is someone else's copyright. Then, you assume that they are not going to pursue you because you are (a) a fan and (b) your work actually promotes sales. That's your baby, probably, and it's the way most fan material works. No other person can infringe on their copyright because the work is still identified as theirs. They have no reason to pursue you, so the legal issue is kind of ignored by all parties. Unless, of course, they tried to go after you, but I don't believe a copyright has to be defended like a trademark, so it's highly doubtful anything would happen. Consult with your own lawyer, of course, 'cause I'm not claiming to be either an expert or your attorney, and note that I stated that I haven't actually reviewed the specific documents.

Furthermore,
Hunter or someone official might come in and say that in this one very specific instance, provided that it is exactly as you say, and that if you include the disclaimers, it is not the sort of thing that the company would normally pursue, but that this is just his personal impression and that the company can do whatever it darn well pleases legally. That would give you the idea that you're in safe territory without the company's compromising any of its legal rights. Of course, Tukera lines would probably bust Hunter down to a ticket agent on Liar's Oath if he worked for them and did something like that . . . .

Let me talk with Marc this week and I'll give you a definative Ya or Nay on it.

Hunter

Actually, it looks like it's pretty well covered by the fair use guidelines, which I just found on the site. There's actually a company policy! My congratulations to Marc, FFE, Quick Link, and especially your IP attorneys. That's rare, and it's good lawyering.

Originally posted by Falkayn:
Anton,

If you're looking for somewhere to host the spreadsheet, I'd be happy to do it.
Thanks Falkayn,

I have a website where it'll be going but feel free to mirror it. I'll let you know when it goes up, but to be honest the spreadsheet won't be anything special - more handy than anything.

Anton

Originally posted by hunter:
Follow the terms from the Fair Use Guidelines and you are good to go.

Hunter
Thanks Hunter,

Going to hunt them down now...

I suppose this means I better actually produce the thing now ;)

Anton

Back