• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TL9 Cargo Handler/Forklift

R_Kane

SOC-12
TL9 Cargo Handler/Forklift

Intention : Design an inexpensive forklift-type vehicle capable of lifting and moving 4-dTon (5,400 vl) cargo containers weighing up to 24 tons (48,000 lbs)

Notes: I originally made the Control systems 200 vl to simulate a roomy cab for the operator. Since this type of vehicle doesn’t have Cargo space per se, I added in any excess vl (34.6 vl) into the control systems volume.

The “tow” represents a cargo container.

Questions: Does this design seem correct? Does it seem kind of small for the amount of weight it can lift and the size of the containers it moves?

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> VL UNITS EP COST
Chassis +600 600
Control Systems -234.6 586.5
DT, Tracked (2) -270 30 -30 375
Batteries, TL9 -32 320 +32 80
Pressurized Interior -30 30 -0.75 750
Climate Control -6 6 -0.06 300
Lights (3) -0.6 3 -0.03 15
Radio, 2-way -0.3 -0.02 50
Lifting Arms/Forks -26.5 53 -0.53 5300
Tow (5,400)
</pre>[/QUOTE]Total Cost: CR8,056.5 ; CR6445.2 with 20% design discount
Excess EP: 0.61
Batteries supply 32 EP/Hour for 10 hours
Total Thrust generated: 150 TH
Speed: 15 mph (25 kph)
Lifting Arms: STR 53, DEX 1
Normal lift rating: 51,200 lbs (23,000 kg)
Max. lift rating: 76,800 lbs (74,900 kg)

If I can ever find the worksheet, I'll post the Cargo Disc, the most massively useful thing since the towel...

Basically it's a disc (I'll bet you never saw THAT coming!) about a meter in diameter and 10cm thick, with a small control pad and power interface on a heavy cable. It carries about 8 hours worth of L-Hyd for a small fuel cell to power a one ton grav module. The top and bottom are a heavy grid suitable for attaching lift straps, etc. Gang up as many as you need and lift away!

They're also useful as 'trailers' behind air/rafts (the control cable is very heavy), add sandbags for a quick float-platform that enemy guards can fall from dramatically when shot, the truly warped can even 'surf' them, steering by weight-shifting.

The just plain twisted will of course weld a pintle mount and something nasty and destructive to it (a 40mm HVSB cannon comes readily to mind), they can drag this around during infantry engagements, reverse the field on the disc (ramming it securely to the ground for recoil absorbtion), put a few rounds into the enemy's grav tank or pill-box, switch back to float mode and move on...
file_23.gif

Without Pak Protectors your pens will leak and stain the ballistic-cloth Ghillie armor festooning it...

I have driven forklifts from 4K to 55K. The 55K forklift is designed to handle ISO cargo containers used in shipping. The ISOs are about 10' x 10" x 20', or very close to a normal 4DTon cargo container. A 55K forklift weighs about 70,000 lbs, is the size of a small house, 8' dia tires. The operators eye level is about 11' off the deck. Basic dimmensions are 12' wide, 28' bumber to mast, 15' to the top of the cab, 12' forks, 20' mast. These dimmensions are approximate. When driving this beast, you feel like that if you bumb a small car, you will not notice as you turn it into a pancake. It will travel up to about 15MPH, or creep as slow as you like.

Hope this helps.

It was my feeling as well that this is undersized. But using the Vehicle Design rules, what would be added to increase the chassis to an appropriate size?

As designed now, the lifting arms (forks) and Drivetrain are large enough (according to the Design rules) to lift and move a load this size.

Unless I just add in a bunch of chassis vl designated "Misc" to pad it out to larger size, I'm not sure how to properly model this.

Maybe it is just a function of TL9 materials and devices that they are so powerful and yet so small.

<shrugs>

Any ideas are welcomed.

Originally posted by R_Kane:
It was my feeling as well that this is undersized. But using the Vehicle Design rules, what would be added to increase the chassis to an appropriate size?

As designed now, the lifting arms (forks) and Drivetrain are large enough (according to the Design rules) to lift and move a load this size.

Unless I just add in a bunch of chassis vl designated "Misc" to pad it out to larger size, I'm not sure how to properly model this.

Maybe it is just a function of TL9 materials and devices that they are so powerful and yet so small.

<shrugs>

Any ideas are welcomed.
One thing that will be needed is enough mass to counterweight that shipping container full of lead. It's real embarrassing to try to lift a container and have the forklift tip over.

Originally posted by Zutroi:
If I can ever find the worksheet, I'll post the Cargo Disc
I believe that the repetitive adverts for them on the vids in the TAS lounges refer to them as 'Moving Men' and they are sold in packs of four large 1t ones and four small 0.2t ones.

OK, based on feedback, I've made some changes to my design.

I upped the vehicle's size to 5,000vl,and calculated the chassis cost, control systems and drivetrain for 10,500vl (5,000vl for vehicle and 5,500 for "tow" (4 dton cargo container).

Pressurized Interior and Climate control are based on the size of the vehicle itself (5,000 vl).

Any additional feedback or comments?

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> VL UNITS EP COST
Chassis +5000 10500
Control Systems -2100 5250
DT, Tracked (2) -472.5 52.5 -52.5 656.25
Batteries, TL9 -60 600 +60 150
Pressurized Interior -250 250 -6.25 6250
Climate Control -50 50 -0.5 2500
Lights (3) -0.6 3 -0.03 15
Radio, 2-way -0.3 -0.02 50
Lifting Arms/Forks -26.5 53 -0.53 5300
cargo/counterweights -1990.1
</pre>[/QUOTE]Total Cost: Cr30,671.25; Cr24,537 with 20% design discount
Excess EP: 0.17
Batteries supply 60 EP/Hour for 10 hours
Total Thrust generated: 262.5 TH
Speed: 15 mph (25 kph)
Lifting Arms: STR 53, DEX 1
Normal lift rating: 51,200 lbs (23,000 kg)
Max. lift rating: 76,800 lbs (74,900 kg)

Originally posted by R_Kane:
I guess the dearth of comments means the latest version passes muster...so I'll go with it
file_21.gif
Optimistic fool ;)

Usually that's the case but for myself I will plead distraction. I meant to check it out, take it for a test drive and all, but forgot about it altogether. Sorry :(

Still, like you said no ones been complaining so it must be good.

Back