• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Timelines and Techlevels

Is there anything that shows how the max tech level has improved during the timeline of the 3rd Imperium? The max tech level in the 1200's was 15. What was it in year 0?

The reason that I'm curious about this is that I'm thinking about doing a campaign set in the Spinward Marches in the year 300. Offhand, I would say that the max tech level would be between 11 or 12.

If you're talking canon, I know I used to have a fairly detailed timeline with major tech breakthroughs and TL progression but all I can find now is a short table from the MT Referee's Companion. It shows the Third Imperium being TL 12 circa -150 (that's year minus 150 Imperial) and TL 13 circa 300 (your era) no doubt driven in part by the Vargr Campaigns (210 to 348). How this translates to the boonies (the Domain of Deneb wasn't "established" till 589) is up to you I guess. Sounds like fun, I always liked the TL range right around 10-12 myself as both GM and player.

Thanks, I'll have to break out my MT box and have a look. I too like the lower tech. Also, the Marches were pretty wide open to exploration at that time. The Zhodani would be very mysterious and threatening as well.

T20 which is set around 1000 sees the Imperium just beginning to implement TL15 techology into the military. The civilian sector is still a max TL14 for the most part.

Hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter (edited 19 March 2002).]

Uh,
isn't the military usually a few years behind civilian in the implementation of new technologies?

look at how long it has taken (the military) to protect itself from hackers compared to the corporation?

having worked (been in two services and the unversity system) there is a perceptable 'lag' between what's offer to the market and how long before our upgrades...

at least in SOME aspects of technology, ofcourse civies don't get the newest anti-missle system developed, but the 1 GHTz pc was out on the market nearly a year before we got the upgrade as example.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mshensley:
Is there anything that shows how the max tech level has improved during the timeline of the 3rd Imperium? The max tech level in the 1200's was 15. What was it in year 0?

The reason that I'm curious about this is that I'm thinking about doing a campaign set in the Spinward Marches in the year 300. Offhand, I would say that the max tech level would be between 11 or 12.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd agree with someone else's post, I'd say year 300 is about TL 13 for the maximum. T4 set the max TL for year zero at 12 if memory serves.

BTW, not to quibble, but I remember the Regency in year 1200 having a couple TL 16 worlds, Mora being one, and I think maybe one world almost at 17. Also, Darrian in 1200 is almost up to it's pre flare glory and pretty much back to 16 (kind of sort of anyway) in year 1200, if memory serves me right. Finally, I remember a few worlds in Margaret's Domain circa year 1120 being TL 16. I know, I'm nitpicking.

Me

------------------
It is not I who am crazy, it's I who am mad!

'Nurd_boy- Uh, isn't the military usually a few years behind civilian in the implementation of new technologies?'

Actually the military is behind less than you think, it's just that the stuff the military is using isn't always acknowledged. I'm willing to bet a great number of advancements in computers, at least initially, were driven by the military.

As for the relative TL Military vs Civilian I expect it runs all the way from well advanced for special units to well past for small, interior base, GIs. In fact I remember a year or two ago, a couple of USN base clerks (I think) looking for some very old (pre 386 IIRC) IBM parts to keep their antiquated inventory system (or some such) from falling apart. They were buying it out of pocket too as I recall (or hoping for the donation of the parts), something about requisitions being a major pain (I can only imagine).

Re Cleon's ramblings
wink.gif
I had forgotten about the Darrian's little experiment with their sun. I can't find my library data right now and can't remember when it happened but I think they were pretty high TL prior to that. Anybody recall the date?

[This message has been edited by far-trader (edited 20 March 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ranger:
According to AM8 it was -924 Imperial. Darrian TL was 14 at the time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Their TL was 16 with some TL 17 prototypes.

Hans

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nurd_boy:
Uh,
isn't the military usually a few years behind civilian in the implementation of new technologies?

look at how long it has taken (the military) to protect itself from hackers compared to the corporation?

having worked (been in two services and the unversity system) there is a perceptable 'lag' between what's offer to the market and how long before our upgrades...

at least in SOME aspects of technology, ofcourse civies don't get the newest anti-missle system developed, but the 1 GHTz pc was out on the market nearly a year before we got the upgrade as example.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not neccessarily, look at the USSR during the second world war. It essentially went from the 19th century into a position in which it could defeat the most advanced military power on the planet (Nazi Germany), hold fast and occupy half of Europe and develop atomic weapons in less than 10 years. Now, don't get me wrong this was at enormous cost. But, who says the 3I is very different than the USSR?

[Hint: Turn the 3i map on its side, and it starts to look familar]

Given that the Darrians had experimental antimatter and stuff, I would say that they were hitting the TL17 mark when the Maghiz struck.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elliot:
Given that the Darrians had experimental antimatter and stuff, I would say that they were hitting the TL17 mark when the Maghiz struck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not mention the golden rule of GDW, once you reach TL 15 or F. You get F#%@! Look at the Imperium, Sabyrsis or any other race that pushes ahead. Or even the Ancients must die.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kafka47:
Not mention the golden rule of GDW, once you reach TL 15 or F. You get F#%@! Look at the Imperium, Sabyrsis or any other race that pushes ahead. Or even the Ancients must die.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure that Grandfather just does not like people being to close?
Peter V.

[This message has been edited by PVernon (edited 25 March 2002).]

As the mad Imperial scientist Enli Al-Hazred wrote in the Technonomicon, upon the discovery of Gradfather's alternate universe:

'That which is not dead shall eternal lie,
and even with strange eons even death may die'

Is Yaskoydray the Great Cthulhu by another name?

snip
Is Yaskoydray the Great Cthulhu by another name?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Grandfather left survivors.

Simon Jester

ps: Besides, Cthulhu is a whole 'nother game system. They don't even use 2d6 to determine character stats.

------------------
Good. Fast. Cheap.
Pick two.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Jester:
Besides, Cthulhu is a whole 'nother game system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, but that's part of the beauty of T20. WOTC is coming out with a Cthulhu D20 game that you could use to do crossover scenarios.

Just think of the fun that you can have with that! Maybe there are things that live in jumpspace. Maybe a water world inhabited by Deep Ones who worship some giant tentacled beast. Hmm... I wonder if FGMP-15 can hurt Cthulhu? Nah, nuke him from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
wink.gif

Technonomicon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The book of the names of the nerds?

smile.gif

------------------
I am increasingly of the opinion that RPGs are by the nature of their creation subjective phenomenon. due to the interaction between game designers, game masters, and game players all definitions, rules, settings, and adventures are mutable in acordance with the uncertainty principle as expounded by Heisenburg. This is of course merely my point of view.

David Shayne

Back