• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Timeline discrepancy.

Hey folks,

Whilst working on some dates using numerology in a TNE adventure today (don't ask) I noticed an error in dates. The TNE rulebook put the year 1201 as Solomani 5717. This would make 1117 Imperial equal 5633. However, the MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia lists 1117 Imperial as 5635 Solomani. Wierd, huh?

Any idea which is correct?

Shane
(numerology is nothing, it took us five realtime hours to get bus tickets and get on a bus last session!)

Rember that the imperial year is baced around the orbit of Capital around Core and an imperial year is 360 days +holiday (361 days) long where the solomani year is 365.25 days long and is baced atound the terren orbit of Sol theirfore there will be some decreapincys in the dating systoms given our year hear on earth is 4.25 days longer.

Originally posted by Shane Mclean:
Hey folks,

Whilst working on some dates using numerology in a TNE adventure today (don't ask) I noticed an error in dates. The TNE rulebook put the year 1201 as Solomani 5717. This would make 1117 Imperial equal 5633. However, the MegaTraveller Imperial Encyclopedia lists 1117 Imperial as 5635 Solomani. Wierd, huh?

A quick comparison shows:
(terms standardized to Imperial Year, Solomani Year)

CT Supplement 8: Library Data (A-M) p. 10
Imperial Year 0 ; Solomani Year 4521 AD
Imperial Year 1107 ; Solomani Year 5628 AD
by extrapolation:
Imperial Year 1117 ; Solomani Year 5638 AD
Imperial Year 1201 ; Solomani Year 5722 AD

MT Imperial Encyclopedia pp. 6-7
Imperial Year 0 ; Solomani Year 4518 AD
Imperial Year 1107 ; Solomani Year 5625 AD
Imperial Year 1117 ; Solomani Year 5635 AD
by extrapolation:
Imperial Year 1201 ; Solomani Year 5719 AD

T4 core book p. 9
note: only Solomani years are given here and a corrected possible errata fix (originally has 5367 AD changed to 5637 and assumed to equal Imperial Year 1116 based on the Farfuture website) is used
Imperial Year 0 ; Solomani Year 4521 AD
by extrapolation:
Imperial Year 1201 ; Solomani Year 5722 AD

GT core book 2nd Edition pp. 18-19
Imperial Year 0 ; Solomani Year 4524 AD (this may be an error?)
by extrapolation:
Imperial Year 1201 ; Solomani Year 5725 (5722 AD?)

TNE rule book p. 9
Imperial Year 0 ; Solomani Year 4518 AD
Imperial Year 1107 ; Solomani Year 5625 AD *
Imperial Year 1117 ; Solomani Year 5635 AD
Imperial Year 1201 ; Solomani Year 5717 AD

* extrapolation from 1110 Imperial = 5628 AD

IMO, Imperial Year 1201 should be Solomani Year 5719 AD since TNE follows MT in this regard. If CT and T4 are followed then it should be Solomani Year 5722 AD. Regardless 5717 seems to be an error.

HTH,
Casey

You may find this reference of assistance:
http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/culture/reference/calend.html

It contains a summary of canonical data on the various calendars of Charted Space, including the Imperial calendar.

"The first calendar we will look at is the Imperial calendar itself: this calendar is based on a year of 365 days. Each day is subdivided into 24 hours, each of which is divided into 60 minutes, and each of those is divided into 60 seconds. The days are numbered sequentially from 1 to 365. There is a semi-formal subdivision called a 'week', consisting of seven days; the days are named 'Oneday', 'Twoday', 'Threeday', 'Fourday', 'Fiveday', 'Sixday', and 'Sevenday'; these are normally elided into 'Wonday', 'Tuday', 'Thriday', 'Forday', 'Fiday', 'Sixday', and 'Senday'. There are exactly 52 'weeks' in a year; day 001 is not part of any week, and is traditionally a holiday, called "Holiday". Day 002 of any year always falls on the first Wonday. Dates are normally written in the form '001-1105'; the number before the hyphen is the day number; the number after is the year number. 001-0000 is the date of the founding of the Third Imperium by Cleon Zhunastu, and corresponds to the Gregorian calendar date January 1, 4521."

The Solomani Calendar is based as follows:

"Solomani Calendar
The Solomani dating system is a close match in terms of sol and anno lengths to the Imperial and Sylean systems. The sol is equivalent to the day, and divided similarly; the anno is generally 365 sols. However, the Solomani calendar is still closely tied to astronomical phenomena on Terra, and, as the Terran anno is not exactly 365 Terran sols, some adjustment to the calendar is needed. There is a complex rule that adds an extra (intercalary) sol to the calendar in 97 out of every 400 annos. The anno is divided into 12 'months' of varying but roughly equal lengths; each month has a name and a fixed number of sols. The month names, in order from the beginning of the year, and the number of sols in each, are: 'January' (31), 'February' (28), 'March' (31), 'April' (30), 'May' (31), 'June' (30), 'July' (31), 'August' (31), 'September' (30), 'October' (31), 'November' (30), 'December' (31). The extra sol, when needed, is added to February. Sols are counted sequentially from 1 in each month. There are several common forms for writing dates, some of which are potentially ambiguous. The two most common unambiguous forms are 'January 1, 5641' and '1 Jan 5641'; the year is the last number, and the month name may be abbreviated to its first three letters. 1 Jan 0001 is held to be the traditional date for the religious initiation of a significant religious figure on Terra. The Solomani date 1 Jan 5421 corresponds with the Imperial date 001-0000."

I thought it would clarify the discrepancy issues with some OTU information.

I hope this helps,
Flynn

Originally posted by Shane Mclean:

It is impossible to reconcile all the available canonical information. A while ago Constantine Thomas and I spent a lot of painstaking work figuring out the correspondence between the Imperial and the Solomani calendars. What I did was start with one canonical date from Solomani and extrapolate back and forth. We then assumed that all Imperial dates were correct and that any discrepancies in Solomani dates were errors. Constantine wrote a conversion program (I never did get a copy of it, BTW, Consty). Maybe he will do us the favor of putting it up somewhere? Maybe QuickLink will agree to put it up?

Anyway, Jon Zeigler has been using the result for calculating the dates used in GT books. I realize that this is not binding on Hunter & Co. but perhaps they will want to coordinate with GT anyway? I mean, what can it hurt?

Anyway, according to what Constantine and I worked out, 001-1120 is equivalent to April 14, 5640 A.D. So 1201 should correspond to 5721 (actually, overlap 5720 and 5721).

One note: A long time ago Marc Miller told Jon that 4000 A.D. (-522 Imperial) is NOT a leap year. We took that into account when we worked out the calendar. You'll need to keep that in mind for dates prior to Mar 1 4000 A.D.

(For those of you who have GT:Nobles: There is a rather fatal error in the library data entry about the Revised Gregorian Calendar on p. 95; there is a 'not' missing.)

Hans

Back