• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Time for more Herasy!

100dT volume is minimum size to install jump drives they say. k.....

does not seem to need to be solid matter, or empty cargo holds would prevent jumps............

so a series of long struts, holding up the delicate jump grid, should allow a 50dT craft to initiate a jump field as long as the volume of space encloses 100dT of space, yes?

cant think of an application at that scale but say you have a 1000dT jump ferry. Rather than wasting space on volume expensive docking bays, a spiderweb of struts and cables hold out the jump grid, and the vessles to be ferried simply move to within the area enclosed, attach a "grounding" tether to the ferry and away we go....
hmmmm.....

might just be silly enough to be feasable.. :rolleyes:

I'm going to have a look at this with MT rules.

You may have come up with something. Why go with jump ferries? How about an inflatable "jump balloon" containing a lathanum grid, drop tanks for additional fuel and Robert's your male relative of choice.

Silly, maybe. Feasible, quite possibly. I'll be back.

Originally posted by shadowdragon:
cant think of an application at that scale but say you have a 1000dT jump ferry. Rather than wasting space on volume expensive docking bays, a spiderweb of struts and cables hold out the jump grid, and the vessles to be ferried simply move to within the area enclosed, attach a "grounding" tether to the ferry and away we go....
Congratulations - you reinvented the battle rider jump-tender... ;)

CT Supplement 9 Fighting Ships includes a 5000t jump transport that has a jump mesh it can wrap around unusually shaped cargos.

TNE allowed for small craft to have jump engines.

And finally there is the jump torpedo
file_23.gif

heretic, Heretic, HERETIC!

:D

small h heresey for the CTS9 note since it's really not too bad,

capital H Heresey for the TNE note since I'm convinced it's corrigendum in need of errata,

SCREAMING BLOODY CAPITAL HERESEY FOR EVEN THINKING THE VILE THOUGHT...

file_21.gif

Originally posted by Colonel Johnnie Reb:
Is this ship not greater than 100 dtons?
:confused:

Forgive me, but which ship are we talking about? The battle rider? The jump-tender? shadowdragon's 1 Kdton jump ferry? I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Should I mention the jump drive equipped Battle Dress then :confused:
file_22.gif
file_23.gif
A week stuck in an immobilized suit with nothing but two inches of metal between you and mind-bending nothingness?

You go first.

The idea could certainly work at the "jump theory" level.

Now design it.

You are asking a 50-ton hull to pretend to be a 100-ton hull for jump purposes. That means (to me at least) that it needs to be equipped with Jump drives and fuel as if it were a 100-ton hull.

It isn't really a small craft, and so can't take advantage of small craft dodges. As such any CT or T20 ship built on this assumption is going to be a sardine can, if it works at all. The ship design systems that don't call for a 20 ton minimum bridge will be better.

Strictly an IMTU thing, but for me the 'delicate web' concept for 'expanding' a sub-100 tonne vessel doesn't work...

Why does a (MT design) ship need a minimum hull armor equivalent to a foot of steel, when the LEM had a hull 'armor' equal to 2 layers of heavy-duty kitchen foil?

Jump Stresses!

Since 'standard' designs for small craft have to be capable of riding on the hull of a jumping vessel, they have to be as strong as the jump-capable starship.

Of course, now I need to explain away that bulk-transport with the jump-cables...

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
The idea could certainly work at the "jump theory" level.

Now design it.
We kicked this around under CT rules a few years ago over on Yahoo!

ct-starships: Jump Shuttle

(Start with the "Jump Question" thread and then follow the "Jump Shuttle" thread... we were looking for a way to build an add-on J-drive for a Modular Cutter and/or standard Heavy Fighter...)

This might give you some ideas...

the point i liked, as it is neither cheap nor space saving, is that it would allow for rapid gathering and after jump deployment of vessels... imagine jumping in system with 10-30 sdb's all fired up and ready to fight, no launch time to leave the tender/ferry, able to fire missiles as soon as targeting lock occurrs etc.....

just me twistin da rules, don min me 'tall
file_22.gif

Originally posted by Greg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Should I mention the jump drive equipped Battle Dress then :confused:
file_22.gif
file_23.gif
A week stuck in an immobilized suit with nothing but two inches of metal between you and mind-bending nothingness?

You go first.
</font>[/QUOTE]Slow drug + antidote ;)
file_22.gif
file_23.gif

And there will be the suit's A.I. to talk to, plus lots of VR software.

Back