• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Thermal tracker

Todg

SOC-13
The thermal tracker is a simple device that allows the detection and tracking of heat signatures. Introduced at TL 8, the device uses hightly sensitive, scanning IR sensors to locate warm objects - typically animals and people. For these targets, the device has an operation range of about 300m. In it's most vasic form, the thermal tracker is about the size of a flashlight and indicated heat sources with audible and/or visible displays.
1611-2.jpg

More sophistocated versions may be smaller, and generally feature highly discriminatory sensors that can filter out unwanted signals. Some include other sensing technologies such as olfactory analogs.

The device is aimed at an area, and if a target is present, a tone and/or visible cue notifies the user. Thermal trackers may be mounted on weapons or other equipment for hands free operation.

Mass: 250g
Length: 15 cm
Price: Cr 75

Reference: http://www.aimshot.com/heatseeker.html

I was expecting a unit that has a semicircular grid that shows contacts as red dots moving closer along with a beeping noise that gets faster/more frequent with increased proximity and number of contacts. But that, IIRC what they called it in Aliens, was a motion tracker... (another good item, and one for which a 'typical example' is already present in fiction!).

This is a good item. There should be an omni or scanning version of this for installations at your basecamp (and settings to ignore things within say 5m as being people in the camp).

I knew a guy who worked with the Park Service and the State of New Mexico as a cave geologist. He had opportunities to use a state of the art thermal system. It was designed to assist in monitoring of game from helicopter.

It displayed on a small crt. They could set it to any temperature range&#151a narrow band to isolate only one species, or a wider range with intensity indicating increments. He used it to locate undiscovered caves for documentation and protection (many caves suffer vandalism).

Twenty years ago it was something over $100,000 :eek: I imagine today it would be much less expensive but still not cheap.

I bought one of these units, and it is amazing how useful it is for certain tasks. Great for 'hide and seek'. It is easy to find someone. You can find someone whose lost in the woods, find downed game, find where someone is hiding, gind a hot spot in a wall, etc.

All from something that fits in a pocket and costs less than $200. It just seems like something cheap and simple that would be useful for a PC to have.

Just think, assuming that aliens have a thermal signature, if they'd had one of these on the Nostromo it would have made for a much shorter movie.

Originally posted by Corejob:
I bought one of these units, and it is amazing how useful it is for certain tasks. Great for 'hide and seek'. It is easy to find someone. You can find someone whose lost in the woods, find downed game, find where someone is hiding, gind a hot spot in a wall, etc.
A bit pricey, but handy for paintball potentially. ;)

Work at night only? What about during hot sun, etc?

Just think, assuming that aliens have a thermal signature, if they'd had one of these on the Nostromo it would have made for a much shorter movie.
Having a good sergeant and some concept of reasonable operational procedures would have made a big difference too... ;)

Originally posted by kaladorn:
Work at night only? What about during hot sun, etc?
Haven't tried it when it's really hot outside and objects have had a chance to heat up. I live in Western Oregon. It rains 180 days a year (and suicide is legal). It does work during the day.

Originally posted by Corejob:
Haven't tried it when it's really hot outside and objects have had a chance to heat up. I live in Western Oregon. It rains 180 days a year (and suicide is legal). It does work during the day.
Oregon's a beautiful state, but like BC (and Vancouver especially) would make it seem sensible to have suicide as legal... "ARgh! RAINING AGAIN! WHere's MA GUN?!!!" ;)

I'd not be surprised if in the Mojave or the like it didn't work well during the day. And of course, it wouldn't work well against homeotherms (or is that non-homeotherms?) whose body temp tracked their surroundings (reptilians).

Still, you are right, cool kit. But the trick is to let the PCs get dependent on them, then introduce them to the thing that can get past it...

<Yes, I am evil...>

Back