• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Havacola Incident

tjoneslo

SOC-14 1K
Staff member
Admin Award
Administrator
Count
This is a patron encounter/short adventure, which requires the players have a ship and are engaged in cargo carrying at least part of the time.

The characters have docked on a moderate to high population world (pop: 7+), when they come across a contract for shipping from a local manufacturing firm. The company is willing to pay an outrageous bonus for shipping a large cargo, but they want exclusive, quick and quiet shipping. Further research will reveal the firm as the local manufacturer of HavaCola, the cargo is "cola concentrate", and it is to be delivered to a few (two to five) near by moderate to high population worlds (pop: 7+). Any further digging should reveal rumors the firm has connections to organized crime, pirates, and every other unsavory character the players have heard of and a few more. No actual links can be found, but rampant rumors.

If the players accept the cargo, instead of standard delivery, the cargo containers are delivered directly to the ship. Acommpanying the cargo is a cadre of security forces, dressed in dark suits buldging with body armor, ear piece communicators and about half carrying the latest in military gauss rifles. The security forces are disinclined to talk to the ship's crew, except the minimum required to make sure the cargo is loaded properly. The cargo continers have very high end computerized seals and environmental montoring systems. All the paperwork, shipping documents, customs declerations, HAZMAT forms, and environmental impact statements are included and complete.

This procedure is repeated at each stop where the cargo is unloaded. Unmarked trucks and several dozen armed dark suited men arrive at the ship to verify the cargo is undamanged and the cargo containers have not been tampered with. The correct number of containers is offloaded, paperworks signed, i's dotted, t's crossed, and so on.

Roll 1d
1,2: All is as represented, the containers have soda concentrate. HavaCola is doing a multi-world rollout of a new "Mapleberry" flavor with the usual varities (regular, diet, lite, jolt, mega-jolt, laser beam). There was a screwup in the request for security, so an unneeded level of security was ordered.

3,4: The containers actually contain a highly toxic residure of the HavaCola manufacturing process. The stuff is being shipped out to several bottling plants where it can be dumped (slowly) into the waste water system.

5,6: The continaners have a 10 year supply of the HavaCola secret ingredient. Usually this stuff is diluted to a homeopathic concentration and no one is sure what a large volume of pure special will do.

I came up with this as a one session adventure for the Dragonstar campaign I'm currently running. Nothing actually happended when the players encountered the contract, but every time I bring up another HavaCola hauling contract, they back away like it was a radioactive rabid wombat.

I've found that mentioning odd details, like including a HAZMAT form which says the material being shipped is as safe as water, or there are many rumors the company you are about to do business with is associated with pirates, sets off certain alarm bells with players.

Hi.

How about some corporate intrique?

The silly thought I have, is that, since the company of players fears the HavaCola combine as being the "villains", why not have their white hat opposition, "CaustiCola" contact them for some industrial espionage? Perhaps some of the concentrated secret stuff could be pinched, reverse engineered, proven to be either:

1)psychologically addictive 2)psionically enhancing 3)psionically suppressing 4)psionically awakening 5)carcinogenic 6)fattening.

Maybe the CaustiCola group is the REAL Illuminatti, and just has great PR. Maybe they are spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) about HavaCola, to cut in on market share.

Cry HavaCola, and loose the Dogs of War.

Fun Stuff. Wish I could play it.

sojourner

This came from a panic attack, where every has shown up for the game and I still have no idea what to run. The trade cards draw...canned soft drinks! This is the result.

Or what if there are rumors making CaustiCola villains, as well. And they send black ops teams to intercept the shipment.

The PCs are caught in the middle of the Cola Wars. Fun.
file_23.gif

I've slotted this one to the file folder marked "Emergency Use Only", and titled it "HavaCola, Have Another!" -- by tjoneslo.

Other titles in this folder:

"There's nothing wrong, honest!"
(Subtitled: Nothing ever happens on MY watch.")
"Does it LOOK like I know what I'm doing?"
(Subtitled: "A Jack of all trades is a master of none.")
"Cargo, schmargo! As long as we make a profit!"
(Subtitled: "Transport of [Insert Cargo Code Here] through the extrality zone is strictly prohibited!")
"Incoming rounds have the Right-of-Way."
(Subtitled: "The universal sign of peace is an open grave.")

and

"Hi diddly ho, Captain! How are you doodly-doing?"
(Subtitled: "Ensign Flanders must die, Die, DIE!")

-KR-

Originally posted by Soldiurnare:
[QB] Hi.

How about some corporate intrique?

The silly thought I have, is that, since the company of players fears the HavaCola combine as being the "villains", why not have their white hat opposition, "CaustiCola" contact them for some industrial espionage? Perhaps some of the concentrated secret stuff could be pinched, reverse engineered, proven to be either:

1)psychologically addictive 2)psionically enhancing 3)psionically suppressing 4)psionically awakening 5)carcinogenic 6)fattening.

Maybe the CaustiCola group is the REAL Illuminatti, and just has great PR. Maybe they are spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) about HavaCola, to cut in on market share.

Cry HavaCola, and loose the Dogs of War.
omega.gif

Perhaps Pirates have discovered that the cargo is instead Medicine/Anigathics or Heavy water type valuable product.

Back