• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TA6 Against Gravity is Now Available

hunter

Ancient - Absent Friend
Traveller's Aide #6, Against Gravity is now available. This is the second 'vehicle' issue done by Thomas Jones-Low and follows along similar lines as TA3-On the Ground. Inside you will find specs and write-ups for over 30 grav vehicles, as well as some new vehicle design tips and additions.

If you already have a subscription you will be able to download the latest issue from the eLibrary.

TA6 - Against Gravity

Hunter

Hi Hunter, just had a quick look, need to dig into it deeper after some sleep but it looks very cool.

I do have one question, I thought the screen version was supposed to be single column not dual? Or is the alternate typesetting of the two versions getting to be too big a chore? I did see the print version is nice and clean of the edge graphics as it should be though.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Hi Hunter, just had a quick look, need to dig into it deeper after some sleep but it looks very cool.

I do have one question, I thought the screen version was supposed to be single column not dual? Or is the alternate typesetting of the two versions getting to be too big a chore? I did see the print version is nice and clean of the edge graphics as it should be though.
This one was not well suited to running as a single column. Rather than keep tinkering with it, I wanted to get it at least available before the end of August. I'll keep tinkering with the layout and see if I can work up a better screen version.

Hunter

Originally posted by hunter:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by far-trader:

This one was not well suited to running as a single column. Rather than keep tinkering with it, I wanted to get it at least available before the end of August. I'll keep tinkering with the layout and see if I can work up a better screen version.

Hunter
</font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, I could see that. Most of it is fine as is, just the first few intro pages would do I think. The vehicle pages are probably best just as they are, like you say.

Love my first glance. Lotta fun stuff and the double-decker grav bus graphic is very cool

Originally posted by hunter:
Traveller's Aide #6, Against Gravity is now available.
<snip>
Hunter
Oh wow! It's incredibly nice. Great art, great cover, nice layout.

Beautiful job!

I rave, and rave, and rave. Thanks so much to all who worked on it!

Hurray. I go on vacation and they publish my next book. Excellent. I'm very happy. And I hope all of you are as well.

Originally posted by far-trader:
Lotta fun stuff and the double-decker grav bus graphic is very cool
I hadn't been meaning to get TA6, but I couldn't resist a double decker grav bus...

Originally posted by Morte:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by far-trader:
Lotta fun stuff and the double-decker grav bus graphic is very cool
I hadn't been meaning to get TA6, but I couldn't resist a double decker grav bus... </font>[/QUOTE]Whoo Hoo! Score a sale for me :D

Now I really hope you like it based on that one bit of off the cuff remark.

(note to all future TA authors, guaranteed sale to Morte if you inlcude a double decker grav bus)

file_21.gif

I subscribed to the Traveller's Aide series starting at issue 1. With the redesign of the site I cannot find where I can download issue 6. I keep ending up at the online store.

Alan

Got one question with TA6 (which Im glad I got - really useful issue)

Medical computer/1 - is there a product that has what these do? Or do I pick a standard model 1 computer and load it with skill program for T/Med.
Is it a basic/Expert etc..as I think I cant find any stats for them in there...

Same with the Autopilot/0 unit - its doesnt match any of the autopilots in the THB so am I missing a tech difference from a standard autopilot or something else?

Thanks
Tim

Hrmm. Checking now.

Use the following for both the autopilots and the medical computers.

Basic/9, 100 parallel CPU, hardwired, Low Basic logic, Limited Verbal command, Medical/5. 4.05vl, Cr8,000, 0.09 EP.

You can replace the Medical/5 with any other skill to get an effective level-0 skill from the computer.

The two listed computers, and the computers on Page 4 are all broken because I used a different set of computer construction rules, which were from the last playtest draft. The rules obviously changed.

Great, thanks for the info

Is that sort of a general rule for a computer like this - whatever the number is (say Autopilot, flight etc) that I just build something for that level of skill?

Tim

Originally posted by myrmidon:
Great, thanks for the info

Is that sort of a general rule for a computer like this - whatever the number is (say Autopilot, flight etc) that I just build something for that level of skill?

Tim
There is no easy way to descibe building a computer with the next level of skill. The Int bonus from the base computer, logic system, and interface, which can be combined in different ways to achieve the same effect. And for skills not based on Int, adding other software options (like a library or protocl program) can change the hardware requirements as well.

The computer construction system seems best suited to building robotic brains, an not so much for building simple computers.

Let me work on this for a while, and I'll see if I can come up with a consistent set of computers.

Ah sorry I was more asking if it says Medical Comp 1, then Im looking at designing a machine
that gives an overall T/Med skill 1 rather than running a single skill point of medical or some abstract level of power (like the Basic 1/2/3 system).

Ive toyed quite heavily with robot brains for some nasty battle dress (over acquisitive players wanting to steal battle dress got frightened when the battle dress got up on its own).

I might tweak some ideas of my own if I get time and see what comes out. I was pretty much on the ideas that you ran out - Hardwired, reasonable tech skill point systems....

Lack of ability to increase wisdom was a bit of a block - which for whats basically a database seemed a BIT strange but logical for a robot. However I added the Data storage rules to give a learning computer
(I guess spam adapting software and verbal recog are a reasonable real world attempt to use this so I felt it was reasonable for a machine to have a record of previous diagnoses etc to hand) so thats th emodel I went for - and can then list 'X run time' and max out the xps for a sensible range. Pick 3 points along the xp bracket and keep adding skill point as PP available goes up....

Tim

p. 29 & 49 Armored Truck. Flavor text and illustration both have a pintle mount for this vehicle but it's missing from the stat blocks.

Casey

Originally posted by Casey:
p. 29 & 49 Armored Truck. Flavor text and illustration both have a pintle mount for this vehicle but it's missing from the stat blocks.
You're right it's missing. It's not an expensive addition however: 215vl, Cr1400

Arrgh. Yes, also true. I'll see if I can get Hunter and/or Martin to fix this problem.

Back