• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 questions

Is T5 still being worked on? Any idea when it will be published?

Will any of the more complex game systems be made simpler, or have some more shortcuts? In other words, how will it help new (and less experienced) players into the traveller universe?

What are the main goals in the creation of T5 anyway? Rewrite and update? Consolidation?

Will the game use any elements of current rule systems?

I just picked up the CT books, and I'm having a little difficulty getting everything squared away. It's a big setting with many open rules, and the way it's all organized isn't what I'm used to.

I like the setting, but I'm not sure if I have the time to setup all the little variables and work out all the nuances of speculative trade. That's partially why I want to convert the base rules to the Savage Worlds system, whilst retaining much of what makes it Traveller. But, to do that I need to understand the original rules.

- Anthony

Originally posted by RocketTurtle:
I like the setting, but I'm not sure if I have the time to setup all the little variables and work out all the nuances of speculative trade.
The main nuance of speculative trade is: the rules are broken!

Basically, trade between certain worlds will almost always be profitable, and there is little reason for your players to go anywhere else. If they want, they can just travel backwards and forwards, stacking up the cash until their greed is sated.

At that point, they will go and buy a hugely powerful ship and commit atrocities with it...

OK, that was a fairly harsh criticism of a game that I have enjoyed and played for something over half my lifetime.

You have to be a little bit careful when you set your game up. Don't just drop your players in a patch of space without any goals other than getting stinking rich. Don't just let them trade backwards and forwards between worlds without having to deal with serious scenarios. Be careful that it's not too easy for them just to head off the edge of the mapped universe everytime they make an enemy.

In other words, set your game up properly.

For what it is worth, there is a much better trading system in GURPS Traveller's Far Trader book.

As an aside: are you using the "official" (Imperium) setting, or a homebrew?

Alan

I'm trying to stay close to official. Although I will make some small changes. For the most part, I'm still trying to understand the whole setting, so modifications will come after I do that.

But, I have simplicity on the mind. The behind the scenes systems are all pretty complex and even if I could, time constraints dictate that I can't use them. I've been using the new Savage Worlds system in place of CT to save time instead learning a new system and it's worked well (Check out the test rules at: www.peginc.com)

From what you suggest, I guess I should go back to traditional campaign based gaming. Use the concept of spec trade, cargoes, charters, etc... as jumping blocks into more focused adventures. I can use the rule systems to make the contract seem plausible and harmless, only to spring some adventure on them.

I would like to give my players some freedom, though. What they really enjoyed about our first session was the fact that they had a sector map (of the Linkworlds cluster adventure) and could decide where they wanted to go. Perhaps freedom within the adventure?

The behind the scenes systems are all pretty complex and even if I could, time constraints dictate that I can't use them.
Hmm. Well, I rarely if ever use Book 6 World generation. Book 3 is adequate for most purposes, especially ones you feel confident enough to tweak the results. So, the most complex system can be ignored.

I generally ignore Robots, 'cos toasters aren't terribly interesting. I don't design ships much often either, but I can. Standard ships work for most purposes, unless you are planning on doing lots of space combat.

So, the only desperately exciting bit is the trade rules.

This might all sound a bit limiting, but what I am actually trying to say is that you can just sit down and start playing without much of a grasp of most of the "behind the scenes systems".

In fact, of course, you can actually just play the game with the first three books. For years, that is _exactly_ what everyone did, and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

From what you suggest, I guess I should go back to traditional campaign based gaming. Use the concept of spec trade, cargoes, charters, etc... as jumping blocks into more focused adventures. I can use the rule systems to make the contract seem plausible and harmless, only to spring some adventure on them.
Well, yes.

Every cargo, and every charter, and every other thing your player characters do is a potential adventure. Unfortunately, winging it isn't easy. This means that you need to have some kind of idea of what the PCs are going to be trying to do, and where they are going to be, to give you some ability to prepare adventures for them.

I would like to give my players some freedom, though. What they really enjoyed about our first session was the fact that they had a sector map (of the Linkworlds cluster adventure) and could decide where they wanted to go. Perhaps freedom within the adventure?
Sure, but it helps to have some kind of incentive to encourage your players to stick around their "home" area. Strongly developed friendly NPCs are probably a good way of doing this.

In fact, that is probably what I am getting at. It can be difficult to balance adequate characterisation against the sheer scale of the setting. The freedom to "go anywhere" can undermine your game. There are ways around it.

Good luck.

Alan

Well I have another question, how do I calculate all those payments and expenses quickly?

Things such as ship creditor payments and the like are things I can use to keep my players on their toes, and make them go after seemingly shady deals that lead to adventure.

I'm not even sure of the profit margin on passenger travel.

Will T5 include simpler calculations for those of us who don't go into such detail?

Well I have another question, how do I calculate all those payments and expenses quickly?
Will T5 include simpler calculations for those of us who don't go into such detail?
For quick calculation: well, I'm not sure there is a "quick" way to do it. On the other hand, I'm not sure that it should be necessary to do the calculation more than once.

For any merchant game, somebody, usually the players under the GM's supervision, will actually have to do a little bit of "accounting". Income goes here. Expenses go there. The difference between them is... Not hugely exciting, but as long as you don't spend too much time on it, tolerable.

Will T5 have simpler calculations? I have no idea. However, I doubt it. The historic tendency in Traveller rules has been towards increasingly complex systems, rather than streamlining.

No, I am not entirely impressed by this.

Alan

Back