• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T20 Lite Comments and Problems

Nightshade

SOC-12
Peer of the Realm
Page 14 "Trained Only" explaination: the word "can" needs to be changed to "can not".

Whitespace : there isn't a lot of it until you get to the last few pages. Maybe this should be filled with "This is Traveller" flavor text in a sidebar in or something exciting if you are not going to fill it with rules info. Because this is supposed to be "teaser" information isn't it?

Character sheet: I would have included the 3rd page too.

I've been looking through the T20 Light preview and being the gearhead I am went straight for the ships. There appears to be an error on the page about the Scout/Courier (p.46) I was at first confused as to why it would state that you would need a bigger power plant if weapons were installed when the stats show it has an extra 2 EP. I checked the design and it seems the EP in the Stat Block are in error (if they are the same for T20 as they are in HG). The Scout should have only 2 EP instead of 4. My math is as follows:

Assuming T20 is using HG:

A 6 ton TL9 power plant costing Mcr18. That checks, PP cost is Mcr3/ton

Now at TL9 PP tons equal 3x Plant Number (Pn)
so that means this is a USP 2 Power Plant
EP=0.01(100tons)x2 = 2EP.

The note on Technology on page 7 does not mention tech levels 11-15 and makes it look like any tech level over 10 is Ancient Technology.

Originally posted by Nightshade:
Page 14 "Trained Only" explaination: the word "can" needs to be changed to "can not".
Actually the sentence should read:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">If the skill is not marked "TRAINED ONLY" then it can be used untrained (with a rank of 0). </pre>[/QUOTE]

Page 10.

CLASS FEATUERS
The right-hand tab for the list of feats is too far to the right, causing "Chief Steward" and "Zero-G/Low Gravity Adaptation" to wrap around to the next line (looks ugly).

NARROW ESCAPE
The sentence
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">"The Merchant will roll 1d20 and add +1 for every 5 or more Merchant class levels he has
attained against a DC of 17"</pre>[/QUOTE]should read:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">"The Merchant will roll 1d20 and add +1 for every 5 Merchant class levels he has
attained (+1 for levels 1-5, +2 for levels 6-10, etc.) against a DC of 17."</pre>[/QUOTE]

I just noticed something, on page 13 in the DC chart under Nearly Impossible the example is incomplete...

more later...

I note on page 38 the description of First Aid kit states:

"A TL0, a first aid kit...is better than nothing."

However the table below the paragraph shows that using a TL0 first aid kit increases the Medical DC of the task by +2. So it apparently is worse than nothing, not better. Of course, this makes some sense to me (No, no, not the leeches this time; They're just not bleeding him enough to get the bad blood out - hand me that large knife on your left) but the first sentence of the description should probably change. Unless I misinterpreting it.

Also - just because I like to nitpick - I'd like to state that I like the new cover illustration (better than the original one) but it still shows the main characters firing what appear to be handguns shooting rays of energy, which I can only assume is a laser pistol (or star wars blasters). But neither character has an external power pack and power connection to his weapon, which is clearly part of traveller canon and stated on page 35 of the Lite rules. Of course, having written this paragraph I now feel like a a$$hole for being so anal as to even notice this fact (I'm sure I'm not the only one though), but what the hey - you wanted feedback. And it's not like most rpg illustrations match their source material either, so I don't feel particularly upset.

Page 11; Mustering out or retiring.
"An additional benefit is gained if the character held rank 04 or 05, and two for 05."
Delete "...or 05,.."

Originally posted by Vorlanth:
Also - just because I like to nitpick - I'd like to state that I like the new cover illustration (better than the original one) but it still shows the main characters firing what appear to be handguns shooting rays of energy, which I can only assume is a laser pistol (or star wars blasters). But neither character has an external power pack and power connection to his weapon, which is clearly part of traveller canon and stated on page 35 of the Lite rules. Of course, having written this paragraph I now feel like a a$$hole for being so anal as to even notice this fact (I'm sure I'm not the only one though), but what the hey - you wanted feedback. And it's not like most rpg illustrations match their source material either, so I don't feel particularly upset.
Maybe it's some Ancients technology. Disintegrators are available at TL16
Know wonder someone is trying to stop them.

However the table below the paragraph shows that using a TL0 first aid kit increases the Medical DC of the task by +2. So it apparently is worse than nothing, not better. Of course, this makes some sense to me (No, no, not the leeches this time; They're just not bleeding him enough to get the bad blood out - hand me that large knife on your left) but the first sentence of the description should probably change. Unless I misinterpreting it.

It is true that the TL0 kit adds +2 to the DC, but "No Tools", which I would pretty much interpret as nothing, adds +10 to the DC. Hence leeches and old rags: better than nothing. Which will make healing a bitch, but hey, Traveller has always been nasty like that. :D

By the way I love the Lifeblood rule, for the above reason. D20's weakness has always been the fact that the rules allow you to shrug in the face of a loaded weapon past a certain level. Not any more!
toast.gif

Originally posted by Vorlanth:
I note on page 38 the description of First Aid kit states:

"A TL0, a first aid kit...is better than nothing."

Yeah, I thought that too and it stopped me in my tracks until, like Pale Horseman, I noticed the +10 DC for No Tools!

Reloading of weapons.
Some weapon descriptions on page 35 (Body Pistol, Autopistol, Carbine, Rifle and SMG) state that reloading takes one combat round. These references should be deleted as they contradict page 30, Move Actions, Reload.

On page 7 the note on Tech Levels makes it sound like any tech level over 10 is Ancients' tech.

The references to "class features" in the section on the mechant class should be "class feats" d20 products do not usually refer to "class features" they refer to "class feats" and that makes it confusing.

The constant use of "he or she" should be eliminated. Simply use "she" like Wizards of the Coast does or use "he."

How does one roll for a commision using t20 lite? I don't see it in the character generation example.

And what is the roll to see if you can reinlist?

Originally posted by Nightshade:
How does one roll for a commision using t20 lite? I don't see it in the character generation example.

And what is the roll to see if you can reinlist?
There are only promotions in the Merchant class.

The re-enlistment roll is an unmodified DC 4 check. Page 11, top right.

Back