• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T20 and d20

Ruland

SOC-5
After following the discussions under the pervious thread, where various game
systems were discussed, one question comes to my mind:
Is T20 as a d20-game an end unto itself (i. e. made by committed d20 designers for d20
enthusiasts as target audience), or is it primarily a ploy to get the attention of these D&D geeks
for the Traveller universe (and other product lines presenting it)?
As a d20 enthusiast I would only buy the T20 book in case of the first variant.

Speaking as a play-tester, from what I can see the T20 game is meant to be a playable d20 game that is meant to be an end unto itself.

There are many versions of Traveller, but the only one in print as of this moment is GURPS, and T20 is in no wise connected to GURPS and it is not an aim of T20 to get people to play GURPS (horribile dictu!).

I like Traveller, I like d20 too, and if T20 was bad Traveller, I wouldn't play it, and if it were a bad game or a bad d20 adaptation, I wouldn't play it either, I'd play my older Traveller stuff instead.

It looks to me that T20 will be completely self-contained and will have a full line of support products that will allow you to play T20 without using any other Traveller material at all. It contains some neat rules that might be very interesting in other d20 campaigns, and has a vehicle design system that should work in any modern or sci-fi game.

As for the question as to whether it is a means to get d20 players/D&D players to play in the Traveller universe. Well, no more than Star Wars d20 is a nefarious plot to get people to play in the Star Wars universe. The Traveller universe is a well-developed game universe and it is a fun place to adventure.

Originally posted by DrSkull:

I like Traveller, I like d20 too, and if T20 was bad Traveller, I wouldn't play it, and if it were a bad game or a bad d20 adaptation, I wouldn't play it either, I'd play my older Traveller stuff instead.
Well said Dave, as a fellow playtester, and a fan of original traveller and of D&D3e and the new D20 system i couldn;t have put it better myself.

Originally posted by DrSkull:
Speaking as a play-tester, from what I can see the T20 game is meant to be a playable d20 game that is meant to be an end unto itself.

There are many versions of Traveller, but the only one in print as of this moment is GURPS, and T20 is in no wise connected to GURPS and it is not an aim of T20 to get people to play GURPS (horribile dictu!).

snip

As for the question as to whether it is a means to get d20 players/D&D players to play in the Traveller universe. Well, no more than Star Wars d20 is a nefarious plot to get people to play in the Star Wars universe. The Traveller universe is a well-developed game universe and it is a fun place to adventure.
With all respect to Dr. Skull's point of view, T20 is not JUST a d20 game as an end to itself. It is both a near-standalone D20 (you need a 3E PH, or some other d20 core rulebook by TSR which we aren't allowed to mention by name ... SW or WoT come to mind) and a supplement for CT-era play in the 1000-1050 period, focussed on the Gateway domain.

It seems to my playtest group as a playable (if slightly epic) ruleset, well tied into its millieu, again, in an epic manner. It supports the most common modes of traveller play, with travelleresque (and often CT and/or MT adaptable) rules in a modular format. Certain players find the problem being that by 12th level, the difficulties seem a tad low... but that was 6months+ play, covering over 1 year in play, and the lowest starting level was 4th.

D20 players will find many familiar systems. CT Players will find some familiar systems, and some that have been tweaked. USP's can be taken out of T20 design sequences (easier than from Bk 2, as T20 USES USP factors). Trade and commerce is based upon a much improved variant of Bk 2 T&C, with concessions to Bk7 realities and even to Hard Times Specie currency.

It will make it easier to convert D20 players to CT, and CT players to D20, as well as being a stand-alone with supplement useability for other editions of Traveller. :eek:
omega.gif

Thanks for the clarifications. I believe now to have a clearer picture of what to expect of T20, and my anticipation level has risen in a very positive way!

Back