• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T^20: The Yawning

Having looked over the discussions about T^20 on the various fora (and fauna), I have a bold prediction about the port to D20 for Traveller: net effect will be close to zero. New players will be slim pickings, and the old-timers like me (since 1978) will be just collectors, at best.

Kinda like the vaporware T5....

Wally.

Well, you obviously haven't looked around much. There are threads on several different sites with some active discussions going on. People seem enthusiastic about T20. I think the product will sell well. It won't move Star Wars out of the number one slot for SF RPGs, but T20 has a sizable audience for it. There is a gaping hole in the market. SW has no starship combat system. Star Trek is gone for a while. Dune is never gonna happen. Alternity went away. There is really no competition for T20.

Wow T5 is vaporware? Have you talked to Marc since the list time I did Wally?

(I won't bother to respond to the rest of the statements, since you appear to have your mind already made up without seeing anything of the system)

Hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter (edited 18 May 2001).]

And a warm welcome back to all of you as well.

All due respect to Cap'n Marc, until T5 shows up at Medieval Starship (the store with GDW's old sign), it's vaporware.

As for T^20, we disagree, and are unlikely to resolve this in a forum. We'll know when it hits the market.

Wally.

Agreed, only time will tell how T20 will do. But I fail to see the logic in predicting the failure of it based on the few available details on the actual product itself. If the D20 system and material for it are already selling well (and they definately are), why would T20 fail to sell well, unless really badly done?

Hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter (edited 18 May 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PinkSplice:
Having looked over the discussions about T^20 on the various fora (and fauna), I have a bold prediction about the port to D20 for Traveller: net effect will be close to zero. New players will be slim pickings, and the old-timers like me (since 1978) will be just collectors, at best.

Kinda like the vaporware T5....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say the opposite. I see a lot of grognards predicting doom and the end of the world, but I also see a lot of excitement. d20 Traveller fills a niche (Hard SF) in that d20 Star Wars doesn't.

After doing more reading on other threads, it's quite apparent that D20 SW is quite vulnerable to being displaced as the primary D20 SF game. The rush job WotC did producing the game has people very disappointed and screaming for a 2nd edition already.

T20 is going to do just fine.

Back