• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Survival Margin

E

EvilDrGanymede

So, I'm re-reading Survival Margin for the first time since it came out, about 2/3rds of the way through the TNS reports of the collapse of the Imperium. And I'm loving every minute of it.

But I can't help but wonder... we've got a very detailed account of everything that happened since Strephon's clone got shot, til Virus was unleashed. The entire MT era is laid bare in great detail...

So why was this book released at the end of the MT line?! It's like you're getting all the useful metaplot info for the game when the line is finished!

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:

"So why was this book released at the *end* of the MT line?! It's like you're getting all the useful metaplot info for the game when the line is finished!"

Dr. Thomas,

I'm glad to read you're enjoying SM so much. It is my favorite RPG supplement, regardless of system, genre or topic.

Why was 'Survival Margin' released at the end of MT's run? Because the entire implausible Rebellion Era needed to be wrapped up and set aside in order for TNE to be released. Simply put, the wreckage and rubble needed to be cleared. SM is the 'tip', the 'dumpster', that MT was swept up into before being trucked off to the Traveller landfill.

You mention how the last MT 'product', SM, finally pulls all the bits of the Rebellion Era together, how the whole story is finally laid bare. Why wasn't it done earlier? Would you be surprised to learn that all of it was finally published at the end because *none* of it was known at the beginning! Incrediable as it seems, they kicked off the Rebellion without any idea of where it would go or what it would do. Most of the information presented in SM simply didn't exist when MT was launched!

The intention was good; replace a static setting; the 1000 year-old Imperium, with more dynamic one, one that would contain more adventure and campaign possibilities. As good as the idea was, the execution of that idea was, to put it charitably, extremely poor. Contrary to any method of story telling, they actually *began* the Rebellion with no idea of how it could or should end. As any writer can tell you, you always start with the ending and then work your way backwards from there.

Because the story of the Rebellion wasn't decided upon *before* it was begun, the Rebellion soon became little more than a collection of loose ends. The story rolled on and on towards no goal, towards no ending. The CT setting may have been one static order, but the MT setting was one of static *disorder*. Fleets died, worlds died, subsectors died, but nothing *changed*.

It was only towards the end of MT's`run that attempts were made to correct this central error. An unfolding plot or story arc finally began to appear. Beforehand, the MT story only contained those pieces that were neccessary to create the endless Rebellion; the carefully balanced factions, the wildly silly Alien Incursions, and so forth. In 'Arrival Vengence' and 'Assignment: Vigilante' we finally see people begin to look beyond the Rebellion, to begin to plan for what might come after the Rebellion ends. Before that, none of the charecters in MT's story had been shown looking ahead, they all lived for the eternal Rebellion.

When MT first revealed the Assassination, Strephon *was* killed and not his clone. Strephon was not away visiting Long Bow on a secret mission because Long Bow did not exist. Originally, the 'Real Strephon Faction' was created to provide yet another middling sized player in the Rebellion, a coreward Daibei as it were. The idea that the 'Real Strephon' was the *real* Strephon; as revealed in 'AV', came much later. It was *not* part of what little there was in the way of an MT story. That bit, and plenty of others, were added well after the fact.

That is why 'SM' came at the end of MT's run. The form, the framework, the behind-the-scenes information of the Rebellion that 'SM' provides didn't actually exist until the end of MT's run. MT's creators carefully set up the astrographic, sociological, and political requirements of an enternal Rebellion, a Rebellion in which no one faction could gain the upper hand. Then, having deliberately set up the conditions for static *disorder*, they sat back to see what 'may happen', even though they had stacked the deck against anything being able to happen! They completely forgot that a story needs someone to tell it.

To badly misquote and misapply a great man's words, MT was "a tale told by an idiot; full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". The 'Survival Margin' was an extremely belated, and altogether successful, attempt to bring some form to the MT story prior to its burial. 'SM' is an eulogy, for the Third Imperium and MT, and that's what makes it so powerful.

Sincerely,
Larsen

SM certainly does rock. I like Strephon's snarky diary comments too... it would have been interesting to see Lucan and Dulinor's diaries for another perspective though. I can't help but think of Lucan as a 'Caligula' type (what with ordering that High Sylean should only be used in audiences with him, shooting the IRIS representative who comes to check his claim to the throne, etc etc).

Though I was perplexed by something - Dulinor claimed the throne by right of assassination... but then Lucan claimed it by right of succession. So who was actually theoretically right (not that it mattered in practise!)? Surely the Barracks Emperors period must have set some precedent for who actually legally could claim the throne - the assassin or the descendant. Or were the assassins just more thorough in wiping out the whole family in the earlier era?

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
The 'Survival Margin' was an extremely belated, and altogether successful, attempt to bring some form to the MT story prior to its burial. 'SM' is an eulogy, for the Third Imperium and MT, and that's what makes it so powerful.

Sincerely,
Larsen
I do think you have the crux of it here. SM is not quite my favorite (Hard Times is that), however it does tie up all the loose ends into a reasonably coherent whole. Re-reading it recently was what made me remember that overall TNE was a good version of Traveller.

DGP and it's fanzine nature - as Loren puts it, they never quit thier day jobs - produced some great stuff and some wretched stuff. Much of the silliness of the rebellion comes from the fact that they didn't think things through before writing them. Instead they were fans who were let run the game. I have yet to see that produce an overall good effect in an RPG line.

Now we wait for MJD to produce the heir to SM - 1248. I hope it lives up to it's predecessor.

William

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:

<huge snip>

. . .'SM' is an eulogy, for the Third Imperium and MT, and that's what makes it so powerful.

Sincerely,
Larsen
Larsen,

Thanks for summarizing all that into a capsule. I'd known varying bits and pieces now for a while, but never knew that Arrvial Vengenace was where Strephon became real, etc.

Sincerely,

Chris O.

This may be heading into MT territory, but what exactly happened in Arrival Vengeance? That was an MT book as well as a ship, right?

Get a copy of AV if you can: it's an excellent read and a real milestone in the MT plotline. Much of this you've doubtless encountered in re-reading SM, but essentially the Arrival Vengeance is an old Azhanti Lightning class cruiser secretly dispatched by Norris to ascertain the intentions of the various Rebellion factions. We get some great insights on Daibei, Margaret's domain, the periphery of Lucan's Imperium and especially Strephon's holdings.

As far as who had the more legitimate claim to the Iridium throne, Lucan or Dulinor, (and avoiding the obvious moralism "neither") I'd say the decision lay with the Moot. Ironically, Dulinor didn't build up ANY discernible support before or after his murder of Strephon (weird for such a populist) and Lucan shut the Moot down as soon as an enquiry into Varian's death was called. I understand several members fled to Margaret's Domain, but we still don't get a formal acclaimation for her let alone any other candidate. Mind you, until AV/SM I might've put her forward as a strong contender for the throne.

Let me just add my praise for SM to the rest: that book was a pleasure to read even if you never intended to play MT or TNE. I especially loved the multi-media format and use of maps.

Megadittos here, too. SM is a great read, a referee's guide to MegaTraveller, a place to find answers of a kind, and a good wrap-up (or condensation) for the Rebellion. The TNS listings dramatically move history inexorably towards its numbing conclusion, while the diary entries inject enough humanity to make it hurt exquisitely.

Of course, the prose pieces are all written by David Nilsen; you can see the same personality and ironic humor in each different piece. They're not bad, but they all seem to convey the same slant, so to speak. It gets kind of irritating to read something written by Dulinor and instead see Mr. Nilsen dressed up like an Archduke (and surely he is an Archduke). And those later op-ed pieces sound preachy. But that-all sounds too harsh, it's not really as bad as that.

You've got a good point about the character of the DN journal entries. I think they were a terrific inclusion and generally well written, but Nilsen did fail to psychologically differentiate his characters: they all shared the same wry penchant for word-play and "things that make you go hmmmmm" musings. Still, the entries on the whole were great and made for some of the most psychologically poignant "moments" in the Rebellion story: Strephon's "Dulinor, you blind murdering bastard, get out of the way and let me at him!" has stuck in my head for years.

Yes! That, and Dulinor's final lament.

I just wonder what Lucan's thoughts were. Of course, he was a madman -- definitely a Caligula -- but probably an egomaniac, so where IS his journal?

Varian's journal would probably be very interesting, too.

I agree completely: it'd be great to see Lucan's perspective on the whole Rebellion. You can ALMOST understand his perspective at several points and you have to wonder how he would've justified his actions to himself. For example, did he really think Varian would've been a disaster as emperor and acted accordingly? Did he disband the Moot because he felt the red tape would've dragged out the war? Did he know Strephon was alive and well? Even if he was just an sociopathic autocrat, his journals would've made fascinating reading. We know NOTHING about the man and are left with the lights going out as Dulinor concludes he IS, in fact, a demon: an observation that goes undisputed...

Something about the Rebellion/Civil War reminds me of World War I... each side expecting a quick victory/the other side to capitulate early, but the war goes on and on, and nastier and nastier weapons are used.

Except that WWI didn't end with a doomsday weapon (unless you use the argument that it didn't really end til 1945....)

First, Larsen perfectly presented the "real life" MT evolution.

Second, I have come to look at Lucan a tad more sympathetically. I new view him as a man who has just suffered the severe shock of having his entire family murdered. Realizing that he is now one step from the throne he is unable to not take advantage of the sudden opportunity and kills his brother.

I see him as a "normal" person who faces overwhelming tragedy and then commits a horrible act. The two events send his sanity spinning and he is never able to stop his decent into madness. Had other things happened, he might have even ended up being an effective emperor.

He is, in a way, a MacBeth. But his Lady MacBeth is internal.

BTW, I also find the veneration of Varian amusing. While a useful and convenient martyr, no one knows what type of person he really was. He was, after all, Lucan's identical twin brother, and there is no guarantee that he would have been any better than Lucan.

Originally posted by daryen:
Second, I have come to look at Lucan a tad more sympathetically. I new view him as a man who has just suffered the severe shock of having his entire family murdered. Realizing that he is now one step from the throne he is unable to not take advantage of the sudden opportunity and kills his brother.
Well, I view him as an utter nutbag, but each to his own ;) :D

Had other things happened, he might have even
ended up being an effective emperor.
I'm still not sure why he even has a 'legal' claim to the throne. As I asked earlier (unless I missed an answer) - what takes precedence - right of assassination or right of inheritance? Though it's not that I'd expect him to just sit by and let Dulinor take the throne anyway...

BTW, I also find the veneration of Varian amusing. While a useful and convenient martyr, no one knows what type of person he really was. He was, after all, Lucan's identical twin brother, and there is no guarantee that he would have been any better than Lucan.
Well, given we have a double of Strephon being killed, how do we know that LUCAN wasn't the one being shot by VARIAN, who went on to pretend to be his brother?

Legal Claim?

Pah. Much as current international law is conveniently flexible, the laws covering imperial succession are easily modifiable to new situations.

Control of the Navy was the basis of power in the last imperium. Strephons attempts to decentralise government replaced the Navys personal loyalty to the 3I with loyalty to their direct local superiors.

As such the dissolution of the imperium in a situation without a smooth transition of power was inevitable.

---------------------

Also, it could be that the personalities of the characters in SM are similar because the characters are the result of very similar upbringings - The top nobles are all the products of a few schools on Capitol. They all know each other, went to the same parties togeather, hunted peasants togeather, have the same inbred weak chin - its all very aristocratic.

Originally posted by Arsulon:
I agree completely: it'd be great to see Lucan's perspective on the whole Rebellion. ... We know NOTHING about the man ...
We do know his fleet orders, and we can probably assume it's true that a leader's cruelty makes his subordinates cruel, too.

His fleet was huge and well-equipped. Yet it was recalled and then scattered between all fronts, in a brute-force bid to rule all. Diplomatic problems were 'solved' by force. The Black War seems to have been mainly Lucan's job.

I think there's good evidence that he was usually in a fit of raging fury. Reminds me of Strephon saying Lucan was never spanked as a child...

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:
Though I was perplexed by something - Dulinor claimed the throne by right of assassination... but then Lucan claimed it by right of succession. So who was actually theoretically right (not that it mattered in practise!)? Surely the Barracks Emperors period must have set some precedent for who actually legally could claim the throne - the assassin or the descendant. Or were the assassins just more thorough in wiping out the whole family in the earlier era?
Lucan, a direct blood relative of the former emperor, has the strongest legal claim. Had Dulinor been able to eliminate Lucan or hold Capital (or, preferably, both) his claim would have taken precedence, but he failed in both, so his claims amounts to essentially nil (in a legal sense). Technically, the Moot still needs to confirm the Emperor, but the records of the Barracks Emperors period suggests this is more a formality than an actual requirement, despite Duke Simlr of Usra's claims to the contrary. So, Lucan is the rightful emperor and everyone who doesn't support his faction, regardless of the validity of their reasons, is, by the letter of the law, a traitor. Thanks for coming and have a nice day.
omega.gif

Also, while I'm here, not to toot my own horn unnecessarily, but COTI has just posted an Overview of the Rebellion Period (1116-1130) written by none other than yours truly. I tried to detail the highlights of both the in-milieu story and the metagame design-process, and offer reasons why the Rebellion is a fun period to play in without glossing over its flaws. Dave Nilsen & Survival Margin get a mention, as does the esteemed Mr. Whipsnade (though I notice by slight editorial gaffe that I refer to him by two different names
). Anyhow, please read it and praise it and tell all your friends about it -- it'll validate my existence ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

I guess the issue of legitimacy and acclaimation of the Moot depends on your perspective: you could argue that the Barracks period represented an abberation because the Iridium Throne was treated as a plaything to be tossed between whomever had the largest fleet. Arbellatra vindicates the legitimacy of the Moot's role in confirming the emperor by working closely, and sucessfully, with that organization to get the Imperium on its feet again.

To obey Lucan or not to obey Lucan? Here we're getting on the sticky ground of what constitutes a legal order and what does not. Surely the Imperium's armed forces had military codes of conduct similar enough to our own to ensure any clearly illegal order MUST NOT be obeyed. The problem for dissenting officers is that the Moot wasn't in the position to provide any counter-leadership by declaring Lucan illegitimate and forming an interim regency council.

Next after Lucan, by blood, would seem to be Margaret. Dulinor's claim is tenuous at best and severely complicated by his buggering off the second Iphegenia and the Aslan ambassador hit the floor.

It never actually seemed that clear to me what Dulinor had in mind for the Imperium either. How would he have been any 'better' than Strephon? What vision did he have for the Imperium? (I'd imagine it wasn't his intent to see it crashing down around his ears like it did)

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:

"It never actually seemed that clear to me what Dulinor had in mind for the Imperium either. How would he have been any 'better' than Strephon? What vision did he have for the Imperium?"

Dr. Thomas,

As you noted, the clues are few but he seems to have envisioned a more 'interventionist' Imperium, one that would begin to require certain minimums of education, sophonts rights, and so forth among it's member worlds. There are references to Dulinor enacting a draft throughout his Domain as a way of spreading technical education and exposing draftees to other cultures. It seems he wanted to spread knowledge and let a little air into the very parochial lives of most Imperial citizens.

Later in the war, Dulinor's dirty tricks squad is 'forced' to overthrow a world's gov't in favor of one that will support the war effort more readily. The give and take between Dulinor and his spy chief (the name escapes me, he's the historian who later leaves Dulinor and spends his time on the run until Virus hits, sort of Dulinor's Lt. Windhook.) alludes to Dulinor's Federation overthrowing gov'ts before but for 'good' reasons (perhaps vaguely similar to Norris' Representative Reforms?) Dulinor has a hissy fit when he learns of a president's assassination, rather odd considering his action in the Throne Room.

Speaking of Lt. Windhook, we never hear of him again, which leads me to believe that Lucan's boys caught up with him. Windhook was dynamite in the hands of any faction leader, hecan't have merely gone to ground (unless it was six feet under ground).

Sincerely,
Larsen

Back