• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Strephon's age

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
I seem to recall a TNS feed from Steve Jackson games saying that Strephon finally died. Am I misremembering? Was it Strephon, or Norris, or someone else?

At any rate, who was it, and how old was he?

Help!

Don't think its either of them - the 1123 newsfeeds have the Holiday address of Strephon and he mentions Norris, so I don't think he's dead, either.

EDIT - You may be thinking of Admiral Hutara, Dulinor's brother.

Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi

43rd Emperor of the Third Imperium
Born: 1049 Coronation: 1071

Eldest son of Emperor Paulo III (981-1071).
Married: Iolanthe (b: 1052, m:)
Descended by: Ciencia Iphegenia (b: 1089)

---

Notice that both Duke Norris and Le Empereur have the same middle name? In this case, I take it that the middle name is a maternal-side family name, much like a maiden name used in MANY countries today (except the USA). So no wonder Duke Norris is a big fanboy of The Emperor..... they must be cousins. ;)

Does anyone know if a canon source actually mentions that Archduke Norris and Emperor Strephon are related by blood-line somehow?

Nah, Strephon is good. From what I remember LKW saying, SJG is contracturally bound to not kill Strephon, except due to old age. And in 1123 he is only 74.

The last noble death I remember from TNS is Duchess Delphine from Mora, which may be were your Norris confusion came from.

It was a bulletin forwarded to me a couple of years ago, perhaps. But I didn't see it in SJGs archives. Ah well.

74. He's good for at least a couple more decades.

Yes, Strephon and Norris are cousins. There is a reference to this in the MTJ interview or in Survival Margin (can't get to those two to check which).

Originally posted by Aramis:
Yes, Strephon and Norris are cousins. There is a reference to this in the MTJ interview or in Survival Margin (can't get to those two to check which).
Ahh, then that finally confirms my hunch all along!

I am wondering... first cousins? Distant cousins? Developmental research has shown that first cousins (of the same generation) tend to develop close bonds, especially if allowed the opportunity to be childhood playmates at an early age.

That would explain why Duke Norris had shown unwavering support for his own cousin.

Originally posted by Aramis:
Yes, Strephon and Norris are cousins.
Their mothers belong to the same noble family. I don't think their exact relationship is explained anywhere, but they probably belong to different generations.

There is a reference to this in the MTJ interview or in Survival Margin (can't get to those two to check which).
That reference must have escaped my attention. I hope it doesn't contradict anything Jon and Loren established in Nobles. Can you track down the reference?

Hans

Back