• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Strap in and Hold on: IMTU:IISS Scout Paygrades

Meteoric Assault

Marquis de Sharkbait
Admin Award
Screen%20Shot%202015-10-17%20at%2012.50.04%20PM_zpsbb46nam1.png

Still working on rank insignia ... not trying to make it to military I think scouts/administrators in command/executive capacities have a rank insignia... as for the Senior Scout, Asst. Team Leader, Team Leader, Asst. Section Leader, Section Leader, Master Scout! Squadron Leader through Scout Chief

Personally I thought some of the Book6 pay grades and titles were not in the spirit of my interpretation of the scout service... "Communications, Science, Exploration, and Covert Activities"... Kinda like the Post office, CIA, and NASA rolled into one.

Just as a concept I see the Master Scout as that guy or Girl who is: Gunny Highway(discipline, grit and experience) +Malcom Reynolds (Pluck and people skills)+Giaus Baltar (Scientific Prodigy).

Last edited:
This is clearly IYTU, but didn't the Scouts make sort of a big deal about NOT having ranks.

This is clearly IYTU, but didn't the Scouts make sort of a big deal about NOT having ranks.

I think I made the case as to why "I" feel the structure is needed and then there was book 6 and that take ....I am just sharing the IMTU, its not like anyone has to purchase anything if people like what I make they can use it, if they don't then I face the criticism and questions.

Let the flogging begin.....

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-17%20at%206.03.08%20PM_zpscrs1ptmn.png

Last edited:
I think I made the case as to why "I" feel the structure is needed and then there was book 6 and that take ....I am just sharing the IMTU, its not like anyone has to purchase anything if people like what I make they can use it, if they don't then I face the criticism and questions.
Yeah, I read this topic before I saw the discussion on the Scout Accademy (that addressed my basic comment).

I like your artwork, but I am more Book 1 IMTU than Book 4-6.
So I'll just cheer from the sidelines. :)

Personally in IMTU the TC Scouts ditch the NCO ranks entirely, but the ranked exec/admin stuff is great fun. Why eliminate the hilarity of Scouts outsmarting their own bureaucracy?

Be practically a rite of passage or even a form of training in the individualistic 'get er done' ethos of the service.

Hmmm, though, now that I think of it, how would Scouts show accomplishment and count coup without the rank and medals?

Ahh, I got it. Mission patches.

For difficult, strenuous, dangerous, important and/or endurance missions, the Scouts would make a mission patch. This would be a combination of the NASA mission patch, unofficial military/intel unit patches, and plane nose art.

Unofficially recognized or awarded, the mission patches would tell the story of the mission, sometimes having the mission member names around it like an Apollo patch, sometimes profane or lewd, sometimes heartbreaking as it records fellow member losses.

The Scouts would put these all on their mission jacket, typically a standard issue survival jacket.

They still have their official dress uniform for ceremonies and impressing the inspectors or nobles that need to be assured the Scout Service can clean up well, but the mission jacket is the internally recognized 'dress jacket', often lovingly protected or left at base for safekeeping.

When scouts gather, or perhaps at the start of a mission during intros to the team, they wear the mission jacket. Provides a fast assessment of what the other scouts have done, a natural talking point, and is often a more effective resume then the official record.

Surviving mission leaders typically 'approve' the mission patch, but any of the members can design it. Usually done after the mission, as most missions are 'routine' and not considered worthy of patches.

Most scouts will have only one X-boat patch with a number indicating years and typically an image playing up either the relaxation of the x-boat posting, or going stir crazy.

Assuming the mission jacket survives the wearer's demise, they are often treasured heirlooms and represent the sum total of the scout's career, official and detached duty.

Personally in IMTU the TC Scouts ditch the NCO ranks entirely, but the ranked exec/admin stuff is great fun. Why eliminate the hilarity of Scouts outsmarting their own bureaucracy?

Be practically a rite of passage or even a form of training in the individualistic 'get er done' ethos of the service.

Hmmm, though, now that I think of it, how would Scouts show accomplishment and count coup without the rank and medals?

Ahh, I got it. Mission patches.

For difficult, strenuous, dangerous, important and/or endurance missions, the Scouts would make a mission patch. This would be a combination of the NASA mission patch, unofficial military/intel unit patches, and plane nose art.

Unofficially recognized or awarded, the mission patches would tell the story of the mission, sometimes having the mission member names around it like an Apollo patch, sometimes profane or lewd, sometimes heartbreaking as it records fellow member losses.

The Scouts would put these all on their mission jacket, typically a standard issue survival jacket.

They still have their official dress uniform for ceremonies and impressing the inspectors or nobles that need to be assured the Scout Service can clean up well, but the mission jacket is the internally recognized 'dress jacket', often lovingly protected or left at base for safekeeping.

When scouts gather, or perhaps at the start of a mission during intros to the team, they wear the mission jacket. Provides a fast assessment of what the other scouts have done, a natural talking point, and is often a more effective resume then the official record.

Surviving mission leaders typically 'approve' the mission patch, but any of the members can design it. Usually done after the mission, as most missions are 'routine' and not considered worthy of patches.

Most scouts will have only one X-boat patch with a number indicating years and typically an image playing up either the relaxation of the x-boat posting, or going stir crazy.

Assuming the mission jacket survives the wearer's demise, they are often treasured heirlooms and represent the sum total of the scout's career, official and detached duty.

I really enjoyed your post... I Like the notions of mission patches crew/ship.

Last edited:
My non-OTU scout service simply marks seniority where the rest of the Concordat's services wear ranks.

Actual authority in the Concordat Scout and Mail Service is entirely positional, tho' some positions (world, system and concordat level directors) require a certain seniority. (4/5/6 terms, respectively, for populations of 5+; 2 terms for populations under 5 but over 1

Ya I just made that up. Chalk it up to MA doing all that graphic work and realizing the Scouts just wouldn't go for all that, but harkering back to a more exploratory cultural meme.

Enjoy. And I expect FULL credit if it becomes a Traveller standard.

And drinks.

Dangit, dangit, DANGIT!!!

And I want to make my own ATU where the Navy does its own scouting!!!

This MUST be incorporated...!!

Somehow!

The Navy probably does have some scout-like ships, but heavily modded to include massive RADINT (Radiation Intelligence), ELINT (ELectronic Intelligence), and OPTINT (Optical Intelligence) surveillance and detection gear, to detect enemy ships, bases, and suchlike. Said surveillance/scout ships would likely be long on manoeuvre drives (all the better to avoid incoming attacks by outrunning them), short on jump drives (not much room for them given the other fittings), be stealthed to heck, and be VERY low-profile indeed, with the mission of getting in, sneaking about, seeing what's there, and scooting back out again, all the time whilst unseen. Not exactly the IISS's role, but similar in many ways. How's that? Help any? :D

Back