• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starburst for Extreme Heroism

One of my players rolled and got a Starburst for Extreme Heroism (SEH) in his first term in the Navy. His assignment was battle. My question is what kind of action would merit a SEH?

Funny thing is that he was not allowed to reenlist. Dice can be fickle things.

SEH is the highest award for valour the Imperium dishes out, equivalent to a Congressional Medal of Honor or the Victoria Cross. Most of the recipients of the CMH and VC got it posthumously. That should give you some idea how insanely brave the character's actions had to be. Usually there's an element of "saving a bunch of other folks" or "turning the tide of an action" involved. A rating entering a heavily irradiated compartment (and facing almost Certain Death) to fix the maneuver drive on a vessel to allow it to reenter the battle and turn the tide might qualify, or an officer who repelled a marine boarding action, leading a vastly outnumbered band of miscellaneous cooks and stewards and getting wounded several times, but continuing to resist.

Not all SEHs would be awarded for successful actions either. It's the utter disregard for personal safety that's the key. I think the most heavily decorated patrol in the SAS ever were Bravo Two Zero who mostly got captured or killed in Iraq (last time round).

Originally posted by Slowflow:
One of my players rolled and got a Starburst for Extreme Heroism (SEH) in his first term in the Navy. His assignment was battle. My question is what kind of action would merit a SEH?

Lo Slowflow,

In MegaTraveller the SEH is awarded if the PC roles 6 or more above the required survival role. Now this is just one possible way to explain the SEH. During combat action's the PC's ship has taken serious damage in the engineering spaces that caused the reactor or other critical system to begin a chain of event that will totally destroy or cripple the ship. The PC, heedless of the danger enters the space, brings the system or systems under control so the ship and crew is victorious over the foe. The reason the hero could not re-enlist is because of politics. The person who should've fixed the problem is an officer and a high ranking noble. This officer froze or for some other reason couldn't carry out the job, the PC had to go since she/he showed up the hot shot officer/noble.

How is that for a reason to give out a SEH and then not be allowed to re-enlist.

One of my players rolled and got a Starburst for Extreme Heroism (SEH) in his first term in the Navy. His assignment was battle. My question is what kind of action would merit a SEH? Funny thing is that he was not allowed to reenlist. Dice can be fickle things.

As to the non re-enlist:
My example was from my second oldestPC (now being used on ISS URSULA site): His actions after the battle caused his coourtsmartail-but the award was in the "pipe", as it were.
The award is usually (IMTU) bestowed by the emperor, or the Archduke (in his name). He discovered a plot to betray the system to the Zhodani, and was among two to escape the action, although their small unit was wiped out, they held up the taking of the system long enough to protract a siege (Jewell system). He personally escaped off a hospital ship, and shot the Admiral responsible dead. He was in the stockade facing courtsmartial/ and a death sentence when word of the award came in...
Well, S-3 scouts seconded to the Navy in time of war, do not shoot admirals, and an SEH could be rescinded, except that the dead admiral was part of the deadwoood Santanocheev had installed-and when Norris came in and cleared house, there was this case sitting awaiting judgement.
My PC was not pardoned-He was drummed out of the Scouts/ name erased etc etal-but the award stood. he was hired out of the stockade by a certain Intelligence outfit we shall not name here, and went to work for them-at the opposite end of the Imperium (for his own safety as well from the dead admirals relatives).
"Officially, he was executed".
Thats how my GM handled it.

I see... So it has to be insanely brave and put the character in extreme danger in the service of the Imperium. I do like the idea of him stepping on somebody's toes and that being the reason why he couldn't re-enlist.

Thanks for the posts. I need to huddle with the player and we better come up with something good.

I see... So it has to be insanely brave and put the character in extreme danger in the service of the Imperium. I do like the idea of him stepping on somebody's toes and that being the reason why he couldn't re-enlist.

Thanks for the posts. I need to huddle with the player and we better come up with something good.

Good luck! I'm sure this beats the heck out of "shot up so bad he lived, but medically unfit for duty" syndrome.

Here's something to consider: the Starburst Curse. Whatever this person did to earn it, it's going to be awfully hard to live up to that. I mean, good golly, this was the character's first term? Within his first four years in service, he has been faced with an incredible challenge, and rose to meet it. For the rest of his career, when something happens, people are going to be looking to him. He's not even 22, yet, and people are going to be waiting for some heroics.

Also, commanding officers. They're going to have a hero in their unit. How do you manage with something like that? It's a lot of pressure, both on the CO and on the trooper.

So, winning the SEH, the character could easily find his career coming to an end pretty quickly.

Just my two credits on this.

Hello Slowflow,

I was looking for what I thought was a document listing the various awards that I downloaded to help answer your question on the SEH. What I downloaded was an alternate Traveller Medals and Decorations set. Here is the link Traveller Medals and Decorations.

Unfortunately there is no description to go along with the various awards. heavy sigh

"The Starburst Curse". I love that idea! I'm new to these boards but I have to say this is great stuff!

I have been in other boards (D&D comes to mind) and there is no comparison. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Another thing about not renlisting... if it was the last term, you can always say the character suffered a career ending injury of some sort (worked into the character history, maybe they lost a limb but recieved and artificial replacement, etc). Especially seeing as how many Medals of Honor were awarded posthumously or to recipients who were seriously injured.
(ie Former Nebraska governor and senator John Kerry won his in Vietnam during a SEAL mission, but lost his leg during the action).

I had a scout who won an SEH for jumping from a building onto an air raft and cut the throat of an assassin using a VRF Gauss gun to shoot nobles at a moot. It just so happened that the near by journalists filmed the whole thing and broadcast it to the world.

His excuse for this stupid action was that the assassin was shooting at his drinking buddies.

"The Starburst Curse". I love that idea! I'm new to these boards but I have to say this is great stuff!

Yup! One of my players was a victim of the "curse". After being decorated, and promoted he was subsequently mustered out. The character believes it was some anti-Vilani conspiracy.

If you look at the VC or the CMoH descriptions of recommendations, the most common reason for getting one using your body to cover a hand grenade and thus saving your squad.

IMTU anyone who has a medal, except purple heart, gets a +1 to +3 for re-enlistment. One character who got the SEH and then got dishonorable discharge made for an interesting character with a few chips on his shoulder. You can do the same for your player's PC. They get into battle and the PC gets the SEH commendation. During the same campaign (prior to getting the award), same PC head butts a chickenshit officer/superior who is about to make a bad decision. They saved the superior's bacon and their squad after the first bout of stupidity. They aren't about to let the idiot get away with it again.

The service quietly give them both an honorable discharge (enemy in waiting), or the cause of having the promising career ended is still lurking in the command ranks of the service. Plot hooks galore!!

tenntrav
file_22.gif

Have you ever seen the movie "Forrest Gump?"

In one sequence of the movie, Forrest carries, one by one, every member of his unit to safety after they are attacked and wounded. He does this under heavy small arms fire from the Viet Cong, and an aerial bombardment by U.S. airplanes.

That would earn a Starburst for Extreme Heroism.

A related question I've been chewing on...I have a character that I built just 'cause who earned the SEH in his seventh and last term. The part that I have been chewing on is that by that time he had been an O6 Admiral for at least his second term. I can certainly think of some possibilities, but am curious what other interesting ideas people might come up with for how an noble Imperial Navy Admiral would manage to earn an Starburst for Extreme Heroism?

I recommend you read the following, copied from http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm (US Army Medal of Honor history of citations)
They might suggest possibilities.

GREELY, ADOLPHUS W.
Rank and organization: Major General, U.S. Army, retired. Place and date: ----. Entered service at: Louisiana. Born: 27 March 1844, Newburyport, Mass. G.O. No.: 3, W.D., 1935. Act of Congress, 21 March 1935. Citation: For his life of splendid public service, begun on 27 March 1844, having enlisted as a private in the U.S. Army on 26 July 1861, and by successive promotions was commissioned as major general 10 February 1906, and retired by operation of law on his 64th birthday.

MADISON, JAMES JONAS
Rank and organization: Lieutenant Commander, U.S. Naval Reserve Force. Born: 20 May 1884, Jersey City, N.J. Appointed from: Mississippi. Citation: For exceptionally heroic service in a position of great responsibility as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Ticonderoga, when, on 4 October 1918, that vessel was attacked by an enemy submarine and was sunk after a prolonged and gallant resistance. The submarine opened fire at a range of 500 yards, the first shots taking effect on the bridge and forecastle, 1 of the 2 forward guns of the Ticonderoga being disabled by the second shot. The fire was returned and the fight continued for nearly 2 hours. Lt. Comdr. Madison was severely wounded early in the fight, but caused himself to be placed in a chair on the bridge and continued to direct the fire and to maneuver the ship. When the order was finally given to abandon the sinking ship, he became unconscious from loss of blood, but was lowered into a lifeboat and was saved, with 31 others, out of a total number of 236 on board.

EDWARDS, WALTER ATLEE
Rank and organization: Lieutenant Commander, U.S. Navy. Place and date: Sea of Marmora, Turkey, 16 December 1922. Born: 8 November 1886, Philadelphia, Pa. Accredited to: Pennsylvania. G.O. No.: 123, 4 February 1924. (Medal presented by President Coolidge at the White House on 2 February 1924.) Other Navy award: Navy Cross. Citation: For heroism in rescuing 482 men, women and children from the French military transport Vinh-Long, destroyed by fire in the Sea of Marmora, Turkey, on 16 December 1922. Lt. Comdr. Edwards, commanding the U.S.S. Bainbridge, placed his vessel alongside the bow of the transport and, in spite of several violent explosions which occurred on the burning vessel, maintained his ship in that position until all who were alive were taken on board. Of a total of 495 on board, 482 were rescued by his coolness, judgment and professional skill, which were combined with a degree of heroism that must reflect new glory on the U.S. Navy.

*BENNION, MERVYN SHARP
Rank and organization: Captain, U.S. Navy. Born: 5 May 1887, Vernon, Utah. Appointed from: Utah. Citation: For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage, and complete disregard of his own life, above and beyond the call of duty, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. As Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. West Virginia, after being mortally wounded, Capt. Bennion evidenced apparent concern only in fighting and saving his ship, and strongly protested against being carried from the bridge.

BULKELEY, JOHN DUNCAN
Rank and organization: Lieutenant Commander, Commander of Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3, U.S. Navy. Place and date: Philippine waters, 7 December 1941 to 10 April 1942. Entered service at: Texas. Born: 19 August 1911, New York, N.Y. Other awards: Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Legion of Merit. Citation: For extraordinary heroism, distinguished service, and conspicuous gallantry above and beyond the call of duty as commander of Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 3, in Philippine waters during the period 7 December 1941 to 10 April 1942. The remarkable achievement of Lt. Comdr. Bulkeley's command in damaging or destroying a notable number of Japanese enemy planes, surface combatant and merchant ships, and in dispersing landing parties and land-based enemy forces during the 4 months and 8 days of operation without benefit of repairs, overhaul, or maintenance facilities for his squadron, is believed to be without precedent in this type of warfare. His dynamic forcefulness and daring in offensive action, his brilliantly planned and skillfully executed attacks, supplemented by a unique resourcefulness and ingenuity, characterize him as an outstanding leader of men and a gallant and intrepid seaman. These qualities coupled with a complete disregard for his own personal safety reflect great credit upon him and the Naval Service .

Evening BrennanHawkwood,

Welcome to the CotI boards and the TU (Traveller Universe). Interesting situation and I'll take a swing with verbage on this one too.

Originally posted by BrennanHawkwood:
A related question I've been chewing on...I have a character that I built just 'cause who earned the SEH in his seventh and last term. The part that I have been chewing on is that by that time he had been an O6 Admiral for at least his second term. I can certainly think of some possibilities, but am curious what other interesting ideas people might come up with for how an noble Imperial Navy Admiral would manage to earn an Starburst for Extreme Heroism?
The Admiral, was the Task Force commander on a good will tour of a border region in -insert your favorite sector-. Dropping out of Jump space the task force encounters a -insert your favorite baf guys here- fleet raiding the system. The Admirals forces are slightly smaller in number or not quite a ship-to-ship match for the opposition. The Admirals flag ship is the most modern, which becomes the primary enemy target. During the ensuing battle the flag ship takes damage and the Admiral is seriously wounded. The Admiral remains at his post directing the battle to a successful and brilliant victory. Through the Admiral's tactical skill and other command abilities, none of the Imperial task force vessels are destroyed and the enemy force is either captured, destroyed, or forced to retreat.
Only after the last enemy vessel remaining in the system has surrendered does the Admiral final give into the wound or wounds and is taken to sick bay or his stateroom. The erst goes into the Admirals service record, the IN historical archives, and becomes the systems hero.

How about that for a story.

Man i wonder what kind of baggage an old character of mine would have then.

He was a two term marine created with the mercenary character generation.

year one: training
year two: comando training
year three through eight: Raids :D

every year in a raid (6) he got a purple heart and a SEH.
file_23.gif
in those eight years he could hardly get a promotion roll though.

ended up an E-3 Corporal :confused:

Hello Trader (CJ) Scott,

Okay here is my swing at a storyline and why the jarhead, er I mean marine never advanced past corporal.

Originally posted by Trader (CJ) Scott:
Man i wonder what kind of baggage an old character of mine would have then.

He was a two term marine created with the mercenary character generation.

year one: training
year two: comando training
year three through eight: Raids :D

every year in a raid (6) he got a purple heart and a SEH.
file_23.gif
in those eight years he could hardly get a promotion roll though.

ended up an E-3 Corporal :confused:
Corporal -insert name, is very good in the field. Any mission the Corporal goes on is accomplished with a low, if any, loss of marine lives, wounds are of course very common. The Corporal, unfortunately, had a slight problem in garrison/port. The Corproal has a tendency to get into fights with members of other military services, mainly Army, local forces, and Navy. To good at commando ops to bust out of the service, but the Corporals liberty antics caused to to be busted by to Corporal.

Back