• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Star Syst. Developement: Common Star Size puzzling

sandman

SOC-13
I have a question regarding the Star System Developement, mainly Step 3, Star Size.

It's mainly regarding stars descriptions:

Red Dwarf: The most common of all stars is the Red Dwarf star, which make up approximately 80% of the stars in our galaxy
Main Sequence: A main sequence star, also known as a Dwarf star, are the most commonly found stars in the universe [snip snip]
Are Red Dwarf included in the Main Sequence?

If so, why differentiate between the two?

A red dwarf is a special type of main sequence star, much smaller and dimmer than other main-sequence stars. It is worth distinguishing because the habitable zone is inside Roches limit (translation: there is noplace to live, it is all cold and dark.)

Kind of like listing both "economy car" and "Yugo"

A red dwarf is a special type of main sequence star, much smaller and dimmer than other main-sequence stars. It is worth distinguishing because the habitable zone is inside Roches limit (translation: there is noplace to live, it is all cold and dark.)

Kind of like listing both "economy car" and "Yugo"
Thanks for the info

I`m still reading up on universe/world design and there`s something else that`s bugging me.

Where to place the "main world". Do you normally choose, or is there a rule of thumb system for its orbit?

I only saw bits about putting it outside the habitable zone if it`s this or that kind of athmosphere.

The main world is usually the most habitable one, and the system is designed to have at most one (in a few rare cases two) orbits in the habitable zone. So, yes you pick the orbit for the world, but generally there's only one choice.

Originally posted by tjoneslo:
The main world is usually the most habitable one, and the system is designed to have at most one (in a few rare cases two) orbits in the habitable zone. So, yes you pick the orbit for the world, but generally there's only one choice.
HA, now it's much more clearer!

I didn't try to do a world generation yet, and there was not example.

Thanks for taking time to explain ;)

red dwarf problems

i discovered that red dwarfs are not good for worlds with life or homeworlds, without a lot of help. i decided to switch the rolls for red dwarfs with main sequence worlds.

i discovered that red dwarfs are not good for worlds with life or homeworlds, without a lot of help. i decided to switch the rolls for red dwarfs with main sequence worlds.

In real life, there are about 99 red dwarfs (type K or M) to every other star (O, B, A, F, G). The brighter and bluer a star type, the rarer it is.
(btw, this thread died nine years ago. Is this a record for thread necromancy? If so, it should be marked somewhere :)))

...(btw, this thread died nine years ago. Is this a record for thread necromancy? If so, it should be marked somewhere :)))

It could be, but then if we do immortalize it someone will just hunt down an even older one to beat the record.

Thread Necromancy: OK in moderation.

So it needs to be reasonably and honestly replied to and not simply messing about with the long sleeping musings of Citizens :)

habitable zone/star size

i've been looking at the habitable zones for the different star sizes & spectral classes. i haven't checked out their viability at this time, but with a whole d20 to work with, there is some leeway for more than one orbit in the hz. (yes, i have too much time on my hands)
i guess for the purposes of placing the mainworld, i could limit the number of hz's, so that i dont have a star with 8 planets in the hz (largest zone i found so far, still a work in progress).
if it is interesting enough, i'll post what i find about giant stars and their hz's, unless every one already knows the answers.

i've been looking at the habitable zones for the different star sizes & spectral classes. i haven't checked out their viability at this time, but with a whole d20 to work with, there is some leeway for more than one orbit in the hz. (yes, i have too much time on my hands)
i guess for the purposes of placing the mainworld, i could limit the number of hz's, so that i dont have a star with 8 planets in the hz (largest zone i found so far, still a work in progress).
if it is interesting enough, i'll post what i find about giant stars and their hz's, unless every one already knows the answers.

Giant stars have HZ's far away from them. But then, with giant stars you have the problems of impending supernovae and photoevaporation...

habitable zone update

well, i figured out that for most star spectral classes, the modifiers of -1 to +6 seem to be the range for the habitable zone, as far as the world climate tables are concerned. i also decided that the 2 closest orbital zones to the star shouldnt be habitable for any reason, so the bigger, cooler spectral classes, k and m I believe, are outside the -1 to +6 modifier zone, so just the first zone after the first 2 are habitable. the technical reasons for not having an inhabited planet around a star is a bit technical for my tastes, but could make for a good adventure of some sort.
also i think that any star should only have 1, or at most 2, hz within the zones available by the die rolls, and if 2, they should be neighbor zones. stars with only 1 hz dont get a 2nd hz.
time to look for another thread to post in...

Back