• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Spring cleaning questions

Blue Ghost

SOC-14 5K
Knight
I've been cleaning out the garage as of late, and came across a sackfull of empty brass shell casings that belonged to my father (he used to hunt). I'm wondering if these are worth anything, or if I can just go ahead and throw them out.

There're also some old unspent rounds (about a dozen or so). How do I get rid of these? Will the police department take them?

Yes the cops will take them if you father's friends won't. The brass can be given to reloaders, a few used as sewer pipes on model train tables, etc. Or just tossed.

Thanks Jasper. I guess hucking them in the trash is a bad idear. What's a "reloader," and how would I find one?

I'm thinking I'm just going to toss the empty casings, but if they're of some use to someone, then I'm all for recycleing the stuff.

Gun Shops can help you dispose of them all.
"Reloaders" are people who will reuse the brass casings by reloading them with powder, a bullet and a new cap.

Depending on the size of the casings they also make excellent "fired" or similar markers for games. Stick one or a few on a penny or a washer and add flock/paint if wanted.

I have also seen some folks use shell casings to make their own spaceships. They make good back ends for 50-ton cutters or the like. I have also seen shell casings used to modify old Vanguard Stardate:3000 miniatures (Terran Fleet).

Just a thought if you are into the miniatures aspect of the Traveller game.

What bothers me is that there are a couple of really large rounds. Nothing that would fit any commercially available rifle. I can only assume dad got them when he was in the Army. I hope I don't get in trouble when I turn them over :(

What bothers me is that there are a couple of really large rounds. Nothing that would fit any commercially available rifle. I can only assume dad got them when he was in the Army.
how large? what does the stamp on the bottom say? are the rounds intact, or are they just the brass?

Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
I hope I don't get in trouble when I turn them over :(
I'd doubt it. I've even seen a few stories of people finding unfired heavy ordnance in their garage or basement while cleaning and don't recall charges or fines mentioned and these required police or military bomb disposal units to respond on site. If what you have are spent rounds (primer fired, powder burned) there should be no problems at all. Heck I've even seen such casings for sale at flee markets, garage sales and surplus outlets here in Canada.

Just another note. If you're not absolutely positive the primer has been fired treat the casing with care, especially the large rounds. Even the primer can be dangerous. I'm not saying your dad would have had such unfired or misfired casings, but just to be careful. Safely disposing of them by turning them over to the police is the best. Tossing them in the trash or keeping them is probably not such a good idea.

No, they're fully intact unspent shells of various large caliburs. As a kid I didn't think anything of them, then I came across them again and I went ashen white. I emailed the local police department so I could speak to the chief about them, but I don't know what's going to happen.

Geeze, this is all I need right now :(

Thanks for the advice all. I hope the local PD doesn't decide it's having a bad day when they come to dispose of this stuff.

*Edit* note; there's just one of each. It's not like dad had belts of the stuff... :rolleyes:

Hey, for what it's worth I think the local PD and fire department should commend you for correcting a possible hazard. I shudder to think what could have happened in the case of a "simple" garage fire.

edit: Of course a bbq propane tank or near empty tin gas can for the lawn mower would be worse and there's a lot more of us have that than a few small or large caliber rounds sitting in the garage or shed, just to put some perspective on it.

I've seen similar collections, the safe ones have had the primer and powder removed and filled with fine sand for the heft, but there's no easy way to tell if that's the case here.

Thanks Far-trader. I'll just have to wait and see what the outcome is. I really wish dad had had more sense than this :(

Pictures?

Back