• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

SPACE OPERA or HARD SCI-FI?

Solo

SOC-12
I always regarded Traveller as being Space Opera as opposed to Hard Sci-Fi despite attempts by the designers to make the ship/planetary systems "realistic".

i.e. more like the Exordium book series or Hamiltion's Neutron Alchemist series than Clarke's 2001 stuff or Stephen Baxters works.

Comments?

Sherm.

Traveller tries to straddle both worlds.

It is Hard enough to pass for some real science, namely, in things like world creation, animal encounters, the physics in starship construction, etc.

But, it becomes soapy when it details that every system has some sort of inhabited world without the Tech to terraform (ok ...maybe the Ancients did it), FTL, a perfect feudal future. And a grand narrative that essentially places good (however you define it) against bad (again however you define it).

CT gave us plenty of room to choose between Hard SF and Space Opera. Other versions of Traveller, I have drifted toward more Space Opera. Afterall, Traveller is a brother of Star Wars and the New Realism that griped the world of literary SF never really impacted upon the cinegraphic (although, I do have my hopes for Enterprise...) So Traveller got pinned with making more and more compromises that would win over younger gamers, which having seen Star Wars or some clone wanted to play the same way. But, the legacy of CT remained which was a choice. I hope, in whatever incarnation we see Traveller we will always have that choice.

For me personally, I would favor a more Hard SF approach. Just because I think the grit of adventures can be found there. To reduce entire worlds to monocultures and subject players to mono-campaign seems criminal for the preminent SF game on the market. These compromises with Space Opera will attract younger gamers but increasingly shun some of the older set who wish to see a narrative based on reality. Of course, we never will get a pure Hard SF or pure Space Opera game. Because like all forms of popular culture there must the impurity principle unless Marc or Hunter possess a crystal ball and are able to chart humanity's future development.

Well my Traveller universe tends to be more Hard Sci-Fi.
Most systems are habited, but only about a third have naturally occuring habitable planets.
The Imperium is far from perfect with corruption just like any other form of government.
In system space travel is more realistic and so is the general science.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Solo:
I always regarded Traveller as being Space Opera as opposed to Hard Sci-Fi despite attempts by the designers to make the ship/planetary systems "realistic".

i.e. more like the Exordium book series or Hamiltion's Neutron Alchemist series than Clarke's 2001 stuff or Stephen Baxters works.

Comments?

Sherm.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me, what you outline is the differance between near-future and far-future SF. Hard SF can be either, it's about a basic level respect for the scientific method and our current understanding of the universe. Space Opera on the other hand is less grounded in reality, more epic in scope and freely ignores the current views of science where necessary for narrative purposes. Science Fantasy blatantly contradicts science (eg Colin Greenland's Harms Way, Ian McDonald's Desolation Road). There is a very clear discussion of the thre in the Intro to the 2300AD Director's Guide...

I have always found Traveller as a Rule Set is best suited to Hard SF (well, CT, MT and T4, can't comment on TNE or T20) and the OTU covers the range from far-future hard SF to "restrained" Space Opera (i.e. reasonably plausible science etc). To me, Traveller has always felt like CJ Cherryh's Alliance:Union:Compact books, or harry Harrison's Death World Trilogy...

TRAVELLER as a rules set is reasonably hard science with a liberal dash of space opera to make life a little more free wheeling and easy for characters (things like psionics, medical slow drug, and artifical gravity). The OTU, however, is very space opera, with things like the Ancients who just so happened to seed humans throughout this section of the galaxy so that they're everywhere. Then they create the (really lame IMHO) Vargr so that characters can interact with an easily understandable alien race and then kindly destroy themselves in a war so that humanity can take its "rightful" place as overlords of the galaxy. Add to this a monolithic imperium that dominates all of known space and the "Spinward Main" (over 200 star systems in a row which all just happen to lie exactly one parsec away from each other) and you can see that TRAVELLER embraces space opera and makes no appoligies for it.

-I know this is a Traveller site (and this is not a Promo)-
...But has anyone looked at the forthcoming game from SJG, TransHuman Space? That looks pretty Hard SF to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Solo:
has anyone looked at the forthcoming game from SJG, TransHuman Space? That looks pretty Hard SF to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's also a good example of well-done cover art, frankly.

-FCS

Space Opera or Hard Sci-fi?

Well, it's not Lensman nor Star Wars...

BUT, In my mind, at least, it is Hard Space Opera... Epic storylines, grand setting issues, chandelier-swinging swashbucklers-in-space, with realistic physics.

Characters die. Often in non-heroic ways, but it really is more star wars than 2001...

I dislike certain rulesets for various reasons.
CT was not enouguh to define a universe. Not quite CORPS' "Tabula Rasa", but still a fairly generic set of rules.
CT+ (Bks 4-8, supps 1-13): still realistic in tone, but allowing for grand swashbuckling.
MT: my personal favorite. But it was Errattq Cenrtal...
wink.gif
And didn't make the one reality rule I would argue was most essential: Armor for vehicles took no space.
TNE: Too many "reality rules" that didn't simulate reality. The combat system was smooth, but very unrealistic. (under stock rules, even with the double damage on crit, you can't kill an NPC with a .22acp in one shot... you will not be able to cross the 20 point threshold; NPC's die at 21 points of damage, and even with x4 (x2 head, x2 crit), 1d6-1 maxes at 20.
T4: Too many botches, and nearly as badly edited as MT, plus Chris Foss art, a lack of real love of the system, and FF&S carrying forward its failures tech-wise and adding more, plus the printing error making the formulae hard to work...
GT: First, it is GURPS. Second, it makes numerous small changes and assertions of hotly debated points. Third, it is a wholly incompatable set of mechanics for many things. (most annoying is the GURPS $... it's GURPS consistant, but it is NOT 1:1 for the imperial Cr... and moreover, there isn't even a good straight-line comparison.)

T20: Not out yet; in playtest. Playable, but somewhat more limited than other editions. waiting and hoping to help make it the best traveller available.

Each set of rules has very different combat results (MT and CT are the closest to each other in results; CT and T4 second.) Each rule set had different ship design parameters, too, which also changes the setting. (Heck, CT had TWO, and so did T4).

I feel the nature of CT was clearly a cinematic setting. MT was more realistic (except for the aforementioned armor issue); it did, however, make for just as swashbuckling a setting due to non-mechanical considerations, and the mechanics were easily adaptable for more cinematic feel. TNE went too far; beyond cinematic in personal combat (almost to the chambara level); very realistic space combat mechanics, with space-opera ranges... I could see Lensman-TNE. (in fact, I've nearly done just that before.) T4 has a cinematic feel, to, but much more "Die Hard" than "Enter the Dragon".

but all are cinematic to some degree.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

"Characters die. Often in non-heroic ways..."

i thought it was:

Characters die. Often in CHARACTER CREATION...

I think 'hard space opera' is a good definition of Traveller. The core of the game is the 2d6 tables that generate Universal System & Character Profiles - no other game has ever matched the USP's elegance. I'm currently running a deliberately 'Space Opera' campaign game that uses slightly-modified TNE rules for characters and personal combat, Classic Traveller rules for starship travel, and my own rules for starship combat. I don't use the Imperium setting at all. The joy of Traveller is its ability to model any SF universe, without too much tweaking.

-Simon

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlightCommanderSolitude:
It's also a good example of well-done cover art, frankly.

-FCS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I recommended the artist (shiley? I think) over in the T20 discussion board to do the cover for the new T20 Traveller and alot of people over there thought he was too Dark Fantasy! I agree with you, great artist.

Sherm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
TNE: Too many "reality rules" that didn't simulate reality. The combat system was smooth, but very unrealistic. (under stock rules, even with the double damage on crit, you can't kill an NPC with a .22acp in one shot... you will not be able to cross the 20 point threshold; NPC's die at 21 points of damage, and even with x4 (x2 head, x2 crit), 1d6-1 maxes at 20.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, no, in my copy of TNE NPCs die at 41 damage, but there's an instant death rule for head & chest hits: roll d20, unless it exceeds damage NPCs die instantly (PCs take x2 damage), except on a 20. So a 1d6 wpn headshot is doubled to 2d6, avg 7, giving a 35% chance instant kill. In practice few weapons do under 3d6 damage (snub pistol with HEAP round, say), giving instant death chance of nearly 95%!

Hard space opera is what I aim for in my Traveller campaign. I used to call it feet-on-the-ground space opera, but hard space opera is a much better term. I try to avoid technobabble/super-science as much as possible, but I do allow things like the jumpdrive (of course), limited gravitics and very limited psionics.

Hard Space Opera is probably my goal as well.I want the sounds of the boom as well as the Bridge swinging back and forth. I draw my line at workstations going up in a storm of sparks... ;'o

Willian

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William:
Hard Space Opera is probably my goal as well.I want the sounds of the boom as well as the Bridge swinging back and forth. I draw my line at workstations going up in a storm of sparks... ;'o

Willian
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do so like showers of sparks from meson hits....

... turret mounted meson guns were one nice feature of TNE.

------------------
-aramis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simontmn:
Actually, no, in my copy of TNE NPCs die at 41 damage, but there's an instant death rule for head & chest hits: roll d20, unless it exceeds damage NPCs die instantly (PCs take x2 damage), except on a 20. So a 1d6 wpn headshot is doubled to 2d6, avg 7, giving a 35% chance instant kill. In practice few weapons do under 3d6 damage (snub pistol with HEAP round, say), giving instant death chance of nearly 95%!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I stand corrected on the "20 vs 40" issue. However, the roll is against the "Damage Value", not the rolled damage. Damage value is defined on TNE Mk1 Md1 p 285 as:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
The damage value of the weapon is listed in the weapon charts and is the number of d6 rolled. Some weapons have a damage value of -1. In this case, roll 1d6 and subtract 1.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Therefore, a .22 (damage value of -1, potential damage points of 0-5) is incapable of being a quick kill, and those 3d6 rifles are a 15% chance.

Now, to make damage a threat, we used d10's, not d6's (and -1 we rolled 1d6 straight up). We did use the quick kill rule as listed; it seldom had any impact. In fact, one PC chose to use a .22 specifically to avoid killing NPC's.

intentionally misreading the quick kill rule to "Damage points taken" is as broken, since most long-arm weapons now will kill outright about half the time.

And the ammount of damage a PC can take is hideous.

JFR, a quickfix we used was single-damage-track, STR+CON * 2, double damage on head hit, and apply quick kill rule to everybody. Wound thresholds were scratch: <1/2 con, light: 1/2 con; severe: Con; Critical: Con+ or quick-kill check succeeded.

I oppose havig two differing standards for how damage is applied when the sole target distinction is PC vs NPC. (I don't mind MT's two standards, as one is EVERYONE during combat, and the other is "Long term damage" andd is supposed to be "everyone".)

------------------
-aramis

Originally posted by aramis:
Therefore, a .22 (damage value of -1, potential damage points of 0-5) is incapable of being a quick kill, and those 3d6 rifles are a 15% chance.

I see that it's ambiguous - "damage value is the number of dice rolled.." I interpreted that as "the total on the number of damage dice rolled" rather than "a sum equal to the number of d6s rolled"... and you're probably right. However, nowhere do I see it saying that 1d6-1 counts as '0' for quick kill purposes: especially unlikely when a crit headshot to NPC does 4d6-4 damage with that .22 round. The 3d6 rifle is a 3x4= 12x5%=60% chance for a quick kill, if it critical-hits an NPC's head, even on your analysis.

Now, to make damage a threat, we used d10's, not d6's (and -1 we rolled 1d6 straight up). We did use the quick kill rule as listed; it seldom had any impact. In fact, one PC chose to use a .22 specifically to avoid killing NPC's.

Realistically speaking, a headshot from a .22 to the head usually _won't_ cause instant death, the velocity is too low to smash the skull properly, so fair enough. No one ever uses less than 3d6 dmg weapons in my TNE games, anyway.

intentionally misreading the quick kill rule to "Damage points taken" is as broken, since most long-arm weapons now will kill outright about half the time.

Which seems about right to me! A high-velocity rifle round to the head usually does mean instant death in real life. Also it cleans out the NPCs faster.

If you mean that they can be easily killed by head hits (that penetrate armour), yes, why not? If you're referring to the great difficulty in killing PCs in TNE rules, well, that's why I use them for my heroic space opera game!

JFR, a quickfix we used was single-damage-track, STR+CON * 2, double damage on head hit, and apply quick kill rule to everybody. Wound thresholds were scratch: <1/2 con, light: 1/2 con; severe: Con; Critical: Con+ or quick-kill check succeeded.

I use similar - damage 1-10 on NPC is Scratch, 11-20 LW, 21-40 SW, 41+ critical or dead, depending on circumstances.

I oppose havig two differing standards for how damage is applied when the sole target distinction is PC vs NPC. (I don't mind MT's two standards, as one is EVERYONE during combat, and the other is "Long term damage" andd is supposed to be "everyone".)

Well, normally I'd agree with you, but I wanted to run an heroic action game without using D&D rules, so for that purpose the PC/NPC split works fine. If I introduce any superheroic NPCs I'll use the PC rules for them, too.

Well, normally I'd agree with you, but I wanted to run an heroic action game without using D&D rules, so for that purpose the PC/NPC split works fine. If I introduce any superheroic NPCs I'll use the PC rules for them, too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game is called 'Captain Power & the Battle for the Galaxy' - there are just 2 PCs, the eponymous Fleet Captain Power and Commander Dek, who leads the Marines detachment on Power's heavy cruiser AU Cyclosis 04, pride of the Auran Space Navy. Think 'Flash Gordon' or 'Buck Rogers' - these are larger-than-life rootin'-tootin' space superheroes, not your usual Traveller starport bums. The games involve large space battles and ground actions with dozens of NPCs blazing away at the PCs with everything from 5mm rifles to plasma rifles - indeed, last session Commander Dek survived a near miss from a TL 13 grav tank fusion cannon! After discarding the space combat rules, TNE actually works really well for this.

[This message has been edited by simontmn (edited 20 December 2001).]

Attempts Hard Science, but ends up Space Opera.

I use both, edging towards Space Opera in my games. Not quite Lensman Space Opera, but close to Star Wars in some ways.

Originally posted by aramis:

I see that it's ambiguous - "damage value is the number of dice rolled.." I interpreted that as "the total on the number of damage dice rolled" rather than "a sum equal to the number of d6s rolled"... and you're probably right. However, nowhere do I see it saying that 1d6-1 counts as '0' for quick kill purposes: especially unlikely when a crit headshot to NPC does 4d6-4 damage with that .22 round. The 3d6 rifle is a 3x4= 12x5%=60% chance for a quick kill, if it critical-hits an NPC's head, even on your analysis.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't say the DV is doubled. it says the damage is doubled. The DV is listed on the tables. It wasn't ambiguous to me or my players.

Realistically speaking, a headshot from a .22 to the head usually _won't_ cause instant death, the velocity is too low to smash the skull properly, so fair enough. No one ever uses less than 3d6 dmg weapons in my TNE games, anyway.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Most head hits with .22 LR weapons are eye shots, anyway. The .22 is not a bone breaker. And, on an eye shot, or a close range hit to the back of the head (Execution style), the .22 is quite effective, as it doesn't come out the other side, and sheds nearly all its energy inside the head.

but the quick kill also applies to chest shots, too. And as a chest shot issue, the DV is dice listed for weapon approach is too anemic, but the DV is damage done is way too much.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>intentionally misreading the quick kill rule to "Damage points taken" is as broken, since most long-arm weapons now will kill outright about half the time.

Which seems about right to me! A high-velocity rifle round to the head usually does mean instant death in real life. Also it cleans out the NPCs faster.

If you mean that they can be easily killed by head hits (that penetrate armour), yes, why not? If you're referring to the great difficulty in killing PCs in TNE rules, well, that's why I use them for my heroic space opera game!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no. IO mean that a PC will typically take 3-5 times the ammount of damage (total) that an NPC can before dropping. Simply due to separate locations.

I use similar - damage 1-10 on NPC is Scratch, 11-20 LW, 21-40 SW, 41+ critical or dead, depending on circumstances.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are better ways, IMO, than the TNE method. Like CORPS, where you can take Toughness, or EABA (soon to be released) with "Larger than Life" as an advantage. It was not a "travellerism", but a T2Kism, and one my players and I didn't like. (Nor did we like that A PC survived a bite from a 40Ton Flying Puncer that had just successfully bitten the Air-Raft in half. Why, Hit locations. One arm, both legs gone. The air raft has one damage point pool.)

TNE was the most mechanically different traveller edition before GT. NOTHING about it was compatible outside the UPP system. And even there, you had to regress worlds. And it was a poor attempt to maintain continuity while completely eliminating the thing which most said traveller to me: the Third Imperium, and the rest of the award winning setting.

------------------
-aramis

Back