• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Silly pseudo-newbie question...

Okay, here's the long and short of it. When I was in high school, I loved and played Traveller.

Now, some fiteen years later, I happened to notice the reprints of the old LBBs (compliments of FarFuture) in a gaming store.

So I got a sudden burst of nostalgia for Traveller. But lo and behold, I try and look up to see what's happened to it, and I find about a bazillion editions of it have been made over the last two decades, all divergent or altered timelines, or variant game systems.

So, what's the current version, and where on the net can I find it? I can safely discount the GURPS version, since I don't like that gaming system, but what should I be looking for? Is the old 2d6 system long gone, aside from the reprints?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SteveMND:
Okay, here's the long and short of it. When I was in high school, I loved and played Traveller.

Now, some fiteen years later, I happened to notice the reprints of the old LBBs (compliments of FarFuture) in a gaming store.

So I got a sudden burst of nostalgia for Traveller. But lo and behold, I try and look up to see what's happened to it, and I find about a bazillion editions of it have been made over the last two decades, all divergent or altered timelines, or variant game systems.

So, what's the current version, and where on the net can I find it? I can safely discount the GURPS version, since I don't like that gaming system, but what should I be looking for? Is the old 2d6 system long gone, aside from the reprints?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, welcome back!

I don't know if I'd say the old 2d6 system is long gone, the reprints have been selling well, and we plan to support it with a new Referee's screen and other material.

Since you don't like GURPs, I'll point to our own development of T20, Traveller for the d20 system. Marc is also working on T5 as his time permits, but no word on an expected possible arrival date (if any).

Hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter (edited 17 September 2001).]

"Since you don't like GURPs, I'll point to our own development of T20, Traveller for the d20 system. Marc is also working on T5 as his time permits, but no word on an expected possible arrival date (if any)."

Well, that's good for upcoming stuff, but what's the current stuff (and, more to the point, where can it be gotten from)? I guess if T5 is being worked on, T4 is the current version? Or is the 'current' version a "Traveller" spinoff version, like Megatraveller or Traveller: the new era?

Or is the 'current' version also an 'out of print' version, not currently supported?

[This message has been edited by SteveMND (edited 17 September 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SteveMND:
"Since you don't like GURPs, I'll point to our own development of T20, Traveller for the d20 system. Marc is also working on T5 as his time permits, but no word on an expected possible arrival date (if any)."

Well, that's good for upcoming stuff, but what's the current stuff (and, more to the point, where can it be gotten from)?

Or is the 'current' version also an 'out of print' version, not currently supported?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other than GURPS and the reprints there is nothing currently in print. T20 is expected to ship in November.

Hunter

I personally don't like the Gurps system, but I still buy all the Gurps Traveller supplements. They are very good for setting and background.
Plus most old versions can be found on EBay quite regularly.
Just cause it's old and out of print doesn't mean you can't use it. Remember Traveller is what you make it.
I personally use the Megatraveller system by perference, but that is just me.

Back