• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Ship Piece

Not sure if here is best for this.

One issue that has come up for me in ship design is the limits on life support on T20 ships. Not that their is one but that you can't add to it easily.

So Ive put together a life support unit
Weighing in at 0.5dtons
Costs 50kCr
It provides enough life support on the ship for 5 human sized organisms - air, food, fresher etc. without providing a specific slot.

This allows for sensible hotbedding in the cabins and staterooms as described - filling staterooms to capacity. Loading up large numbers of people on an emergency basis in the cargo hold, carrying live cargoes etc. Also useful for troops ships that can rip out the bunks wwhen not carying troops to allow a more modular design.

Now is that too many people for the size of the unit (2 and a half tons to support 2 10 man squads) or too few?

Tim

As long as the understanding is this is the life support unit only, and does not have any additional space for people. This looks fine.

Oh, yes definitely Life Support only.

This is the 'cram the Marines in the back of the Hercules-equivalent' sort of idea.

Tim

doesnt the THB have a have a small table saying how much 1 ton worth of life support and luxery life support costs for 1 person and 20 people for one 1? I'll have to double check. Their is a 10% price break if you get bulk life support supplies If I remember correctly.

Originally posted by Zephyrus:
doesnt the THB have a have a small table saying how much 1 ton worth of life support and luxery life support costs for 1 person and 20 people for one 1? I'll have to double check. Their is a 10% price break if you get bulk life support supplies If I remember correctly.
Yep, "Basic Operational Costs" p. 348

I also added a mtu line of:

1 ton of LowBerth Support supplies will last 20 low berths 1 year. Cr43,200 (10% discount included)

In case I need to fit out a Timer club or long range colonization trip.

The only small problem (canon wise) I have with defining a continuing cost for lowberths is it destroys the whole lost and adrift for decades idea. At least that was how I was interperting the T20 listing referenced. Maybe they mean something else. The old way was once they freeze you there was no further need to worry for months or years as long as you had power and no damage to the system. This was the gravimetric freezing model of lowberths, as opposed to the earlier TL chill berths (iirc) which did require some maintenance, and were responsible for the infamous CT mortality rates of popsicles and the ever popular lowberth lottery.

Note though that this is just for extra duration of already installed lifesupport equipment. A hold full of said supplies are not going to give you air to breath and food to eat. Your total life support is still limited to the number of installed fixtures (staterooms, cabins, small craft couches) and the crafts operational duration (p. 242 "Environmental Controls"). Hmm, that might be a good mark of comparison. Figure a small craft couch (0.5dT and Mcr 0.025) is mostly access and actual chair for volume but mostly life support for cost?

Back