• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Scout Service info

jackleg

SOC-12
I am planning to run an adventure that I need to get some additional info on the Scout service. I have a reprint of the original in one of my T-Journals. The GURPS book is out of print and not on sale at eBay. I don't have a computer for download or to run a cd of the info.

Question, who has the best site regarding the Scouts? Canon or close to it as possible.

Thanks.

Greetings and salutations,

There are two books that I can think of (since I have them). LBB6: Scouts and GURPS: Ground Forces has a little bit of information.

Originally posted by Merxiless:
What kind of info are you looking for? Character generation? History? Operations? Or just genaral knowledge?
Mainly operations and general knowledge.

Originally posted by Marquis Deadlock:
Greetings and salutations,

There are two books that I can think of (since I have them). LBB6: Scouts and GURPS: Ground Forces has a little bit of information.
I cannot find the first one, and I maybe able to look at the second one at my flgs. Thanks.

Posted by Jackleg:
I cannot find the first one, and I maybe able to look at the second one at my flgs. Thanks.
No prob. LBB6: Scouts can be obtained if you buy/borrow the Traveller Reprints 0-8.

Originally posted by Marquis Deadlock:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />
Posted by Jackleg:
No prob. LBB6: Scouts can be obtained if you buy/borrow the Traveller Reprints 0-8. </font>[/QUOTE]Forgot about the reprints, I will have to check at the flgs. But it is a small store and I don't remember them having it, though I do know one in Newport News, VA that definitely carry them. Are there any good websites with the information also that you could reccommend?

Jackleg,

Can't think of any websites dedicated to the IISS, at least none that reprint the canon info (and violate Marc's copyrights). But I'll try and give a quick synopsis.

The IISS has two major parts: the Field and the Bureaucracy. The Field is the tradional home of the LBB1 field scouts. It has three main offices:
Survey - Survey branch creates and maintains maps & navigation data, as well as demographic data if memory serves.
Communications - These Scouts man the X-boat network and the couriers.
Exploration - Self-explanatory. Has a somewhat diminished role in the CT-era Imperium, but also includes the Contact & Liasion branch which deals with newly-discovered and developing cultures.

The Bureaucracy has two or three branches if I recall correctly. Unlike the Field, the Bureaucracy actually has ranks and distinguishes between the "enlisted" and "commissioned". The branches I can remember are:
Operations - Responsible for mainainting bases, including security. I believe the Detached Duty office which administers all those scout/couriers floating around is part of the Operations branch.
Technical Services - If Q from the James Bond movies worked for the IISS, this is where he'd be.

That's the high-level view. I'll double-check LBB 6 when I get home - I keep thinking there is at least one more branch in the Bureaucracy.

- John, who almost always rolls a Scout

GURPS: First In has lots of Scout info. IIRC, it is out of print, but you might be able to find a copy somewhere.

Edit: Out of curiosity I just checked eBay and, :eek: -- they have a copy of First In, and the person selling it is asking $199.99! Is it that hard to find a copy of it? Is it that rare?

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
GURPS: First In has lots of Scout info. IIRC, it is out of print, but you might be able to find a copy somewhere.

Edit: Out of curiosity I just checked eBay and, :eek: -- they have a copy of First In...
MINE MINE MINE... er...

and the person selling it is asking $199.99! Is it that hard to find a copy of it? Is it that rare?
:eek:

Never mind. I can't fathom some people. The ones who ask such crazy prices nor the ones who pay it. Reminds me of the prices the Atlas of the Imperium goes for. I guess at least this book is good
file_22.gif

OK, just had to see it
At least the guy has it listed with a "Best Offer" button so that allows a chance of getting it for less, something reasonable perhaps. Might be worth a shot, I might even but my budget is busted...

I found my copy of 'Best of JTAS #2' that has the earliest write up of the ISS. I will use that until I can get to that other flgs. Thanks.

Jackleg,

I'm pretty sure S-3 falls under the Operations Branch of the Scouts. There's a mention of "security forces" in LBB6, but the earliest incarnation of S-3 in it's current form comes from an issue of Traveller's Digest if I'm not mistaken. GT:First In gives the most detailed coverage.

S-3 is the Scout Service's "special forces". They recover field scouts who fall into hostile hands, enforce interdictions, provide security for scout missions, and basically provide muscle when the Scouts need it. They're very highly trained and well-equipped. They don't pack quite the level of BLAM! that a similar Army or Marine unit would because one of their signature characteristics is the precise, surgical application of force.

So, you wouldn't usually find S-3 scouts taking down a pirate base, for example... unless the pirates were located in a system with an indigenous low-tech, pre-contact culture under IISS interdiction.

- John

I have used Noble Knight before, and he has always done well by me.

Also, if you don't want to use a reseller, you can always get them straight from the source at Far Future.

[Edit:]
Oh, and to be clear, the GURPS book to look for is First In, not Ground Forces. First In, assuming you can get it for a "real" price, is very much worth the effort.

Back