• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Running Combat in 2300ad, tips please.

excuse the cross post between this and the 2300ad mailing list. I'm not sure who is where, and I figure the more brains, the better.

I've started a campaign with the Kafer Dawn book. Seemed like the logical place to start.

the people I'm playing with, thankfully, are not ex marines, or complete miltary geeks, and I think I'm doing a decent job of simulating combat with dice and peices of paper and some hex map, but I'm curious what the other Referee's do to keep the tension up, and make things smooth and fast.

Tips with mapping.
NPC management.
and all the rest.

Thanks!

Greetings and salutations,

What type of campaign are you running? The Aurore Sourcebook will be of great help since it will describe the terrain and various natural life on Aurore (the droppers were my favorite surprise in my campaign). Where is your campaign taking place?

In combat, roll a d6 for the Kafers. This is how many turns pass before they become "smart". When the countdown ends, ha;t combat for a round or two. The Kafers are regrouping, then light the players up. It will help to take out a couple of NPCs this way and maybe hurt one of the players the second time around.

I used the rules published in an old Challenge magazine for running T2300 battles with Ogre rules. Worked very nicely to quickly give a backgound for the RPG session.

Marquis, I've got the Aurore Sourcebook, thanks.
I guess my biggest issue is being organized. I've tried the 3x5 card for each NPC trick, but it's always all over the place. I do alright, and the players always have fun (my first concern), but I'm always about improving.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Robert Prior:
I used the rules published in an old Challenge magazine for running T2300 battles with Ogre rules. Worked very nicely to quickly give a backgound for the RPG session.
Been years, do you still have those on hand?
I'd heard of these but never saw that issue of
Challenge.

Back