• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules of War

SOmething that was not brought up earlier... two things in fact.

On the note of taking care of POWs because you would assume that the other side would be as hospitable (as stated of the opinon of the thread creator) you are wrong.

During WW2 we(the US) treated our POWs well as did the Germans, French, and Commonwealth. However the Japanese did not. May I remind you of the Bataan Deathmarch? Of the Code of Bushido stating something along the lines of those who surrender have no honor and can be merclessly killed as seen fit?

Now Moving on to the statement about the Solimoni's not wiping Earth out as that would be like the French wiping out Paris. I also beg to differ on this as it has happened before. I don't know the exact date... but Winter in Russia, Nepolean, Moscow burning by the Czar's command... someone get out the marshmellows!

Personally as for the exact rules of war that the Imperium has, I think Mister Bill Cameron hit it on the spot. Tribunnels I would not think would exist at large and if they do see little use. The Nuremburg Trials were still going on 3 years after V-E Day and any Tribunel really would be as well.

IMTU, the following will get an intervention if the imperium notices:
Use of Chem, Nukes, Bio.
Use of FAE or saturation bombardment upon civil population centers.
Establishing a puppet government that bypasses/deposes the local imperial noble.
Open support of Imperial Treason.

The usurpation of a noble's fief will almost always trigger a full blow intervention.

Homeporting privateers/pirates will seldom generate interventions, as the Imperium claims that there is no "Pirate Problem"

Greetings and salutations,

Here's a disturbing thought. Given the power that the Imperial Nobles have, it would seem that they would hold more tribunals than the 3I proper. Granted the nobles are the leadership of the 3I; however, during the course of their own personal conflicts with other nobles and/or the inhabitants of their fiefdoms, I think they would declare tribunals out of spite, "Look upon me and marvel at my power", and/or serious war crimes, especially if the conflict did not require the 3I to intervene. Then again, these tribunals would most likely resemble elaborate productions in such a disguise to make the noble look like the just hero, the enemy the nefarious villains of the story, and the people that were liberated become the damsels in distress.

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
"If a side takes POWs, then they are responsible for maintaining their well-being (food, clothing, medical, exercise) during the course of the war. Doing so will add additional strains on logistics"

I'm not sure that's significant here. We're talking about interstellar states with 1000s of worlds. In any case, they can just stick POWs in low berths until the war's over.
Good thinking. I like that idea! Freeze the POWs for the duration of the war. Great idea for an adventure seed. /swipe

Originally posted by SlyenS:
On the note of taking care of POWs because you would assume that the other side would be as hospitable (as stated of the opinon of the thread creator) you are wrong.
Actually, despite the Japanese treatment, that is one of the reasons for signing/following the Geneva Convention.

I would think a lot of tribunals (which existed long before Nuremberg) would be based on the idea of vengeance. It's amazing what you could come up with (even under the Imperial rules) for holding a tribunal if you're the victor.

IMTU, I kept the Fifth FW as is, but added an almost simultaneous Civil War in the Solomani Confederaton. I made it a war between the Confederacy and the Solomani Megacorps. As of 1100 (my pick for an ATU time) These "Corporate Wars" have been over for 9 years (It ended in 5612) It went from small Merc on merc skirmishes to Total, Unrestriced War. Nukes, Germs, the whole bit.

It came out with the Confederacy on top, and the Megacorps obliterated. A sort of "Cultural Purge" happened, removing all vestiges of Megacorps, and the SC became the totalitarian beast it is in the game.

During/After that, The SC moved on to purge ALL non human races from Solomani Space. The lucky ones fled when they could see the writing on the wall.

Currently, The SC is now removing the Mercs, either driving them out, or destroying them.

This makes for many displaced individuals heading out Rimward, and for a hotbed of adventure nuggets.

Fritz88
Peer of the Realm
CID # 4547

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 03:43 PMMay 02, 2006 03:43 PM Profile for Fritz88 Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
quote:Originally posted by SlyenS:
On the note of taking care of POWs because you would assume that the other side would be as hospitable (as stated of the opinon of the thread creator) you are wrong.Actually, despite the Japanese treatment, that is one of the reasons for signing/following the Geneva Convention.

I would think a lot of tribunals (which existed long before Nuremberg) would be based on the idea of vengeance. It's amazing what you could come up with (even under the Imperial rules) for holding a tribunal if you're the victor.

--------------------
1836! Come and take it!
IMTU tc++ ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au pi+ he+ t5(LBB0020)+ and tp++ (that's Proto-Traveller!)
Sociability: 2531 | From: Virginia | Became a Citizen: Ja
A dirty little secret to the customs of war is that each side's prisoners are hostages for the other sides good treatment of it's own. This is not mentioned but has long been assumed, and there have been rare instances of retalitory executions and the like.

Back