• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Q about T20

MikeJW

SOC-1
Back in the early-mid '80's I was a huge Star Frontiers fan. I never played Traveller but I'm thinking of getting T20. My question is, how much of T20 seems like SF? An odd question, but to me SF was about wide open campaigns because there was little background about the planets so GM imagination was unhindered. It also seemed to have serious characters that were also a little wacky. i mean any Dralasite was kind of odd or wacky but in a good way, even in a serious campaign. I guess I'm asking if I loved SF would I enjoy Traveller? Also, how deadly is combat. I like combat to have serious consequences. Is it like most D20 games where a high level person can get shot 10-15 times in a firefight and still survive or more "realistic'?

Hello Mikejw.
If you look in some of the other threads you will find star frontiers is mentioned as being set somewhere (cant remember where) just out side the Empire.
As to your other question combat is very deadly if you get shot once you could very likly be dead and there are no CLERICS to heal you or raise dead you.
Armour is good but not being hit is better.
Bye.

I never played SF (to young to even know about it) but what you are describing sounds alot like traveller. Although there is a preset universe and worlds are governed a certain way, you can make your own universe with charaters however you want.

Cmbt is very deadly just like Lionel Deffries said.

One word of advice: get a d20 core rulebook for a game put out by wizards of the coast in d20 format. without it you won't know how cmbt works or how to make characters as well as anything else im missing. D20 Modren rules are probly the best you should get. Just think of T20 as a supplement campiegn setting for a game that introduces new stuff.

Do get get any d20 book except the traveller one. you can get the srd from wizards site.
Combat is very deadly. IMC 7th level characters took out a purple worm cr12 in under 3 rounds and the only reason one pc survived is I forgot str bonus damage.
In a bar room brawl one pc nearly killed a npc with a critical.

You do need to know how to play a d20 game and the T20 isn't 100% complete (otherwise it'd be an OGL game). However if you've played a d20 game or have a friend with one of the d20 core books you're fine. The SRDs are missing some key information although they are useful.

As for T20, combat is *very* deadly especially for a d20 based rpg. The T20 THB itself is more of a toolkit with no setting in the book itself. There are several regions for Traveller and the T20 company is getting ready to print a big (and fairly wide open) setting book called Gateway. (see front page of this website) If you want serious but wacky aliens Traveller has them, the Hiver and Droyne especially.
Star Frontiers aliens for T20

Casey

where can i find a list of stars within 240 light-years squered?

im trying to make the Sol Subsector as accurate as posiable. and if a parsec is 3 light years and there are 80 parsecs to a subsector then i need 240 star names.

also cmbt is alot more dangerous in Starwars d20 than T20 because the weakest pistol does 3d4 damage.

Originally posted by slyen2:
also cmbt is alot more dangerous in Starwars d20 than T20 because the weakest pistol does 3d4 damage.
[EDIT]snip of link to Malenfant's site already posted[/EDIT]

Star Wars d20 has defense bonuses which T20 does not have and all damage is taken from Vitality (Stamina in T20) first. If there are no Vitality points left then it affects Wound Points (Lifeblood in T20). In T20 there is always a chance a hit will affect Lifeblood especially if little or no armor is being worn. IMO more deadly though I do like SW d20's fort check each time wound points are lost.

There is a wider range of technology and weapons in T20 while SW is mainly just blasters. A better comparison would be lasers or gauss weapons to blasters and even then they are different games. And fwiw a blaster cannon (SWd20) does 4d8 damage compared to a FGMP-15 (T20) at 9d20 or even a basic laser rifle at 3d10.

Regardless T20 is more deadly than say D&D.

Casey

Originally posted by slyen2:

Combat in T20 is quite deadly because, for the most part, a character's Lifeblood never changes much. So, an average fellow (Con 10) taking a single Auto-Pistol round with no armor, will take 1d10 points of damage off his 10 points of Lifeblood whether he is 1st level or 10th level. So, a 10% chance that a single hit will take him out, and a really good chance that two pistol hits will kill him.

I'm assuming that Star Wars D20 is like D&D D20 where a character's hit points go up as the character advances in age. So, that 3d4 damage pistol is going to be scary to a new character in Star Wars, but probably not particularly scary to an unarmored and unarmed 16th level character.

In T20, an auto-pistol is still scary to an unarmored and unarmed 16th level character.

Ron

Thanks for the replies. I've already got D&D 3.5 and D20 Modern so I'm covered on the missing charts. I'm glad to hear combat is something to be afraid of, wish more RPGs were like that. A pre-existing universe is okay as long as it's not as detailed and meta-plotted out as Forgotten Realms for AD&D. I've ordered the THB and the screen today since no one around here has them and I'll probably pick up the gateway book when it comes out. Anyone know the release date?

Originally posted by MikeJW:
I'll probably pick up the gateway book when it comes out. Anyone know the release date?
Printer tells me it should be shipping to our warehouse by Friday (May 6). We should have it in stock here early the next week.

Hunter

:cool:

Now I feel that traveller being 20+ years old is like forgotten realms many years and lots of info. its up to you if you want and how much of it to use.

wa11eye

Originally posted by hunter:
Printer tells me it should be shipping to our warehouse by Friday (May 6). We should have it in stock here early the next week.

Hunter
Woohoo! This is great news, Hunter! When will there be an official announcement about it on the main page of the website?

Thanks,
Flynn

Hunter,

Any word when Gateway to Destiny will hit the distributors? (especially those pesky Canadian ones)

Back