• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Psionic Strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

During character creation today I found a possible error in the Psionics chapter concerning generating Psionic Strength.

On the THB page 186 it states that a Psi Potential is found by rolling 3d6 and reducing it by 1 per 4 years over 18. This would give the following advancement:

18....3d6
22....3d6-1
26....3d6-2
30....3d6-3
+4....3d6-(last+1)
90....3d6-18

The actual table is as follows:

18....3d6
22....3d6-1
26....3d6-2
30....2d6-3
34....2d6-4
<continues>
50....1d6-8
54....1d6-9
<continues>
66....3d6-12
+4....3d6-(last+1)

I assume the table is incorrect and the text correct, so it would always be 3d6 minus a number. Is this the case?

Shane

The correct answer to the question is, the table is in error, the text is correct. All of the dice rolls in the table should be 3d6 and the given modifier.

Original boneheaded and wrong reply
In this case, use the table.
[edited by Hunter 11/01/02 to correct my answer]

Hunter

Originally posted by Shane Mclean:
Great, thanks Hunter!

Y'know, I always feel guilty asking about Errata, 'cause I feel like i'm being nasty pointing it out... :)

Shane
Nah, don't feel bad. Unfortunately in a book this big, and after working on it so long things get missed. Without folks reporting the Errata to us, we can't get it noted and post an answer as quickly as we might otherwise.

Trust me, I cringe with each report but I also knew it was going to happen. You try hard as you might and it still happens. Its one of those things we as the designers/publishers have to learn to live with.

So thanks for the report and keep em coming when you find em!

Hunter

Originally posted by Shane Mclean:
The actual table is as follows:

18....3d6
22....3d6-1
26....3d6-2
30....2d6-3
34....2d6-4
<continues>
50....1d6-8
54....1d6-9
<continues>
66....3d6-12
+4....3d6-(last+1)

I assume the table is incorrect and the text correct, so it would always be 3d6 minus a number. Is this the case?

Shane[/QB]
(note that I don't have the book yet, still waiting for it to reach the UK shops, so all I have to go by is this table!)

That table looks awfully strange to me. It implies that when someone is in their 50s, they have absolutely no psi potential (1D6-8 or 9 is always less than zero), but when they're in their 60s the can have psi potential (because 3D6-12 can be greater than zero). Is that intentional? There may well be a perfectly good explanation for this in the book, but as I said, I don't have it yet

This one has got me confused Hunter. I'm curious as to why the table, with multiple numbers of dice and ever-increasing modifiers, is used instead of the linear-decrease of the 3d6 minus text. It makes no sense, and I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

Shane

DOH! BRAIN CRAMP

Yes the table is wrong the text is correct. All of the dice rolls on the table should be 3d6.

I will edit my original reply so as to avoid confusion

Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back