• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

proposal: discontinue canon in favor of legacy

flykiller

SOC-14 5K
traveller canon is a mess. CT has been superceded by succeeding incarnations, and even within CT there are changes and errors such as HG1 vs HG2 and Leviathan's jump torpedos. even when acknowledged, canon is more often honored in the breach than in the practice.

instead of referring to any canon, we should call it legacy. that would put all the old traveller work in a better perspective.

(putting dented brass horn up to ear)
Eh? Whats that, sonny? Your bread's got mold?

I agree, Some sort of initiative should be made to consolidate and unify things for this... It's a great game, and I get immense enjoyment out of it, but it seems to lack a certain unity to it...

omega.gif

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
(putting dented brass horn up to ear)
Eh? Whats that, sonny? Your bread's got mold?
*Now* I Understand why the dear Baron ends so many sentances with the word 'what?' ;)

What's the big deal? Since I use my own universe all I want is good rules. If that means they have to be revised on occasion, so be it. It's fun to read about the history that Traveller supports, but I don't use it. One drawback is aliens; having aliens in the main book is usually a waste for me since I don't want them.

Canon-smannon, give me good rules to play with.

Glen

I suspect that with the advent of T20 there is going to be a split between the "Traveller is the canon" group versus the "Traveller is the rules" group. Each group will be looking for a different sort of product from the game designers: the canon group will want history, and aliens and adventures designed for specific locales and times. The "traveller is the rules" group want generic aliens, generic adventures, and OPTIONS (light sabres, alternative psionics, and other variants that don't fit into canon but could be used in other TU's). Two very different sets of consumers with irreconcilable demands on the designers.

Hunter and MJD: have you guys considered this division of the target market in depth? Which direction are you going to go, or will you try to meet the needs of both markets?

Canon vs Legacy

Hmmm.

Nope, don't like it. Sorry [shrug]. 'Legacy' to me sounds to much like a first step towards a purge. I'll keep my TL9 Jump two one man Type S scoutships thankyou very much.

Each group will be looking for a different sort of product from the game designers: the canon group will want history, and aliens and adventures designed for specific locales and times. The "traveller is the rules" group want generic aliens, generic adventures, and OPTIONS (light sabres, alternative psionics, and other variants that don't fit into canon but could be used in other TU's).
"Its worse."

Once you have those two groups, you subdivide them by the different versions of Traveller out there. Add heretics, relativists, and other crazy type people. Somebody did a thing on the old old version of TML called "The clans of the TML". I come across it from time to time on the web and I laugh, because it could have just as well been titled "The clans of Traveller." Trying to organize things so that everyone will be happy with their little slice of the game is a little like asking for peace on Porozlo. Ain't gonna happen man.

Nice try though. Keep those thoughts coming.
GIVE ME YOUR BRAIN.
file_23.gif

Just remember folks, that all those "Lil black books" came FIRST!!!!!...and MANY companys THRIVED by ADDING to them....some good some bad, ALL the "johnny comes latlys" came AFTER because someone thought it could be done better, WELL THEY WERE WRONG!!!.....Thats why theres SO MUCH "classic" still in T20, and maybe T5....
STICK TO CONON!!!! it works!!!!

Matter of fact...."CLASSIC" runs thru them ALL!!

Originally posted by plop101:
[QB] Canon vs Legacy

Hmmm.

Nope, don't like it. Sorry [shrug]. 'Legacy' to me sounds to much like a first step towards a purge.
Excellent idea. I'm all for for a purge!
file_23.gif

Originally posted by plop101:
[QB] Canon vs Legacy

Hmmm.

Nope, don't like it. Sorry [shrug]. 'Legacy' to me sounds to much like a first step towards a purge.

Evil Doctor Ganymede responds:
"Excellent idea. I'm all for for a purge!"
You can take my LBB's away when you pry them from my cold dead hands. Since cancer hasn't killed me, I doubt any attempted purge will.

Keep trying guys. Let those ideas flow...

Dr. Ganymede,

Before going into my rant I wish to apologize up front if any of my comments offends anyone here. Second, the following verbage is my view on the subject.

Purging means, as far as I am concerned, destroying 25 years of Traveller. When Traveller was produced the designers based the game on the exisitng ideas, technologies, and projected advances of the time. 25-years of change has proven many of the original ideas to be short of the real world. The best thing that Marc Miller and the staff of GDW was to say here are some core rules, possible technologies, and a possible future use some, all, or none of them to create a TU. Further change what does not fit YTU.

The fans as well as the original Traveller design staffs have had a hand in creating the inconsistancies that have crept into the game. Someone did like the UWP of an established world and the changes managed to get incorporated. Ships massing millions of tons, by todays engineering knowledge can not exist as has been shown by one of our members. What advances does the future hold that might make multi-million ton starships possible? I don't know but they might be and since Traveller is based in a distant future that technology may have been created. Now there is talk of creating a small ship TU. Another item that has the potenial of creating even more inconsistancy.

Fix what can be fixed without making such major changes that Traveller dies the death of so many other Science Fiction RPGs.

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by plop101:
[QB] Canon vs Legacy

Hmmm.

Excellent idea. I'm all for for a purge!
file_23.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Now there is talk of creating a small ship TU. Another item that has the potenial of creating even more inconsistancy.
Well writ Thomas Rux and except for the above minor nit I'm with you. Same caveats as you for my words here ;)

It is my opinion that proper Canon is the Small Ship OTU (pre High Guard). I know I'm in the minority on this but that's the way I feel. I think it was the whole move to the Super Ship TU that created many of the inconsistancies.

That said I move with the times and adapt, and as you suggest I use IMTU stamps where I will. Part of that is accepting that IMTU Super Ship's exist but in few numbers since the resources are fewer. So most of the building is done by common shipyards producing Small Ships (up to 5,000T), a good portion of shipyards are devoted to Moderate Ships (up to 50,000T) and a rare few are capable of building the Super Ships (up to 5 million T). But hey that's just IMTU

I have to admit, I'm abjectly curious to see, when I get my GT:FT, if it seems likely the Imperium can support its alleged fleet sizes based on that trade model.

It would be easier, I'd imagine, to support fleets of smaller ships, as the last poster points out.

Since my players aren't likely to have a ship larger than 800 tons, I'm not likely to run them into anything in the 30,000 ton range (or 300,000 ton) unless it is as 'set dressing' that they are *not* meant to interact with. And that won't be all that often.

So, effectively, MTU *is* a small ship universe. The large ships exist, but since they are not relevant for day to day play, then that doesn't really matter.

Well, although I had my tongue in my cheek when I said a purge was a good idea, I do think a major consolidation of ideas would be nice - with a definite focus on things that actually made sense rather than 'blindly sticking to things that were published in CT'. I think there's too much of the latter going on in Traveller, for no other reason than because it was published first, and IMO that's what would kill the game ultimately.

Sticking to canon is all very well if it's internally consistent to start with... but in Traveller's case it isn't, and I think it generates more headaches than it solves.

The problem is complex, though EDG.

On the one hand, we have more sensible economic models (such as those in GT:FT), more detailed models of how the OTU works and how technology works (scattered), and such.

On the other hand, we have people who have built a long-running game universe on the existing material, and don't want it papered over.

So yes, reconcilliation may be nice. In the long run, it has benefits. But, when implemented, it may turn a number of folks off the resulting product.

Now, you say, no one has to take anything in canon as gospel IYTU. True, and yet too simple. Existing things build on existing things. Pull out one part, you might break others. And replacing them could be a lot of work. So repairing existent canon to conform to personal prejudice is very much an 'inertia overcoming' operation to undertake. Additionally, you know future OTU stuff will have to take it into account. So, you have to think "how badly do I want to change this"?

Or, am I so annoyed that some fundamental (IMO) thing has changed, I pack up. Or I never buy another new product and just stick with the old.

Frankly, I think this really does fit (from QLI/FFE's perspective) firmly in the Hobson's Choice category. They can't win, they can just pick which way they lose.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
On the other hand, we have people who have built a long-running game universe on the existing material, and don't want it papered over.
Yeah, but this is what I really don't understand... how does something someone wrote in a book make one's own game 'irrelevant' or 'papered over'? Some people hang on every word that MWM has ever said, as if his decree is so utterly inviolate that to go against it in the privacy of one's own home is some kind of utter heresy. It's crazy. Play the damn game however you want. Make the Droyne the ultimate overlords of Charted Space. Let slip the K'Kree Hordes and obliterate the Imperium. Like Hunter says, it's YOUR game.

(and while people may point out that I'm usually one of those who indicates what's 'canonical' on these boards, I only do that for discussion purposes. A person asks 'how does this work in Traveller', I assume they're talking about the OTU, and I try to explain how it works there, as best as I can decipher it from the inevitably conflicting/unclear sources in the books - but that's because we're talking about a shared universe. I wouldn't force them to play it that way though. But my own Traveller Universe bears no resemblance whatsoever to the official one, and in no way do I feel constrained by anything that any writer says in developing that universe.)

Or, am I so annoyed that some fundamental (IMO) thing has changed, I pack up. Or I never buy another new product and just stick with the old.
Which may be better in the long run. The old players stick with what they like, leaving the new players to go a-charging off into new territory without the baggage of previous canon. Take TNE, for example - it scrubbed a lot of the old canon and made a lot of it irrelevant and basically presented a new slate in which to play in terms of both the setting and the technology and presentation of the game. I loved that, myself - I thought it made the game fresher, more exciting and more interesting than it had ever been. But I think one of the biggest problems that beset the TNE line came from the people that didn't like it. While I was in some ways glad that a lot of the stubborn old CT grognards stormed off in a strop when TNE came out, I still wonder if the reason that TNE didn't do so well was in part because the bitter old grogs were badmouthing it in public (and they still do!) because of what it symbolised and what it did to their precious canon, rather than because of its actual quality (which IMO wasn't remotely bad at all). At that point, canon had turned into a terrible straitjacket, in that anything that contradicted it or went off in new directions was to be stomped on and ground into the dirt by the people who didn't want their pet universe to change at all. I guess that why we've been lumbered with 'historical' Traveller universes since then like GT and T4 and T20, but thankfully MJD is moving us forward into new directions with TNE:1248. (and hopefully, since there's sufficient warning about it, the anti-TNE mob won't complain about it!).

It's also why I find the CT reprints annoying to some extent because whereas before it could have been left in the past and everything else could move on, now we've got constant reminders of what would have otherwise been largely forgotten bits of old canon being thrown around because they're now easily available in the reprints.

Sorry if that sounded a bit ranty. I guess I need to vent about this every now and again :cool:

Well, let me take up the points in no particular order, with my own thoughts:

1. The reprints are good. I had missing items, I now have them. I have a few more missing, I should like to repair that defficiency. The fact they are selling (and selling out) should tell you that they are popular.

2. I disliked TNE, but not for the canon changes. I disliked the game for a variety of reasons, but mostly with the exception of the ship combat, I just didn't think it was an improvement. And I didn't really like the setting described.

3. I'm not sure Traveller isn't a lot more sustainable with the entire fanbase aboard, which is why backwards compatibility of ship designs, equipment, tasks, etc. is a good idea where feasible. You are quite willing to write off the grognards, but as one, I can say I have bought every version of Traveller (even if all since MT ahve been disappointing in varying degrees). I continue to be interested, but I'd lose interest if a mass re-write was done. Why? Because I already paid enough for what I've got. Add to it, sure I'll buy that. Write over it... you'll likely just annoy me. And I don't think QLI and FFE can afford to write off the CT and MT players as sources of potential revenue. This isn't Magic:The Bilking or AD&D 3.x.

4. The problem with canon: I don't understand why people can't see this. Let me put it this way: IMTU, I try to have a coherent model of commerce, military and political organization that may not quite be OTU, but is darn close to it with me filling in the blanks. When people then come along and fill in those blanks officially, what I've done now likely conflicts with it. I have a choice: keep it, modify it, or toss it out. Keep it, okay I have to change something which may have affected a lot of my game (say my economic model). Modify it? Might be a lot of work and I don't have a playtesting staff. So can I do better? Dunno. Toss it out? Well, I can do that. But I know other things in the product line will build on it, and I'll eventually start to notice the divergence more and more. Right now, I see discussions with really neat things I'd like to use, but now they have 'Feats' and other hard to translate stuff in them. I see news articles from TAS that I like, but they are GT universe and so don't (maybe) tie into my own. If I spec an unspec'd planetary system, and then someone writes over it officially, I have to decide what to do about that. I figure if I'm working in an area the game hasn't talked about and said it would not (foreven), or one that is already detailed (though decanonization hasn't helped that), and if I'm working with a set of existing assumptions (say how jumpspace works) that seem clear and consistent, if something new totally changes these, then I've got some nasty choices.

You are not *force* to do anything. But to use an AD&D Analogy: Started in 'The Known World' (before, I think, it was called that) in basic D&D. Then migrated to Greyhawk. Then to the Forgotten Realms. But later changes to the FR just blew all credulity within our group (as did Greyhawk Wars). So we felt kind of abandoned, that the spirit of the old had been washed out for no good purpose, and done so in a way that wasn't necessarily better, just different. And of course, meanwhile we went from D&D, to AD&D with PH and DMG, then add in the 2nd ed PH and DMG, then the black player's option books, then we started (briefly) looking at 3.0.

End result: We virtually never play AD&D of any flavour anymore, and it sits on a shelf. It changed itself so many times we stopped buying it. And this after contributing thousands (and I do mean that) of dollars.

If Traveller goes this way, probably the same will end up true. That's why I don't care if T5 never airs. I'm peeved they can't reprint MT, but oh well. CT reprints... GT.... T20. More than enough. But different enough (CT more generic, GT preserving what MT changed, and T20 compatible with lots of different products) to make them interesting in and of themselves. The problem with T5 I see is it doesn't offer me much, like T4 did, and it might do it just about as poorly as T4 did (we hope not). So I'm not sure it has value.

Now, give me some sourcebooks on historical periods, on geographic areas, on some of the remaining races, more alien critters, more starship deck plans and designs, bases, etc. - Those are all things I can probably integrate without ripping out the core rules or changing my world greatly - they fit within the existing framework.

1248 is even acceptable, as it promises to add to the timeline, not so much the rules. Now, I'm not happy with MT being possibly papered over, but Roger Sanger has a special place in the Eternal Pit reserved for him and I don't blame MJD or QLI or FFE for having to deal with this.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
1. The reprints are good. I had missing items, I now have them. I have a few more missing, I should like to repair that defficiency. The fact they are selling (and selling out) should tell you that they are popular.
To be fair, I don't really mind the reprints from the point of view of completing one's collection. I do think they can potentially be used as leverage to reopen old wounds though.

2. I disliked TNE, but not for the canon changes. I disliked the game for a variety of reasons, but mostly with the exception of the ship combat, I just didn't think it was an improvement. And I didn't really like the setting described.
That's fair enough. I'm not suggesting that everyone has to like it, but I do think that it's unfair to run it into the ground with the commonly made excuse of 'pah, it's not Traveller'. I suspect a lot of people who go so far as to brand TNE have never even looked at the game objectively.

3. I'm not sure Traveller isn't a lot more sustainable with the entire fanbase aboard, which is why backwards compatibility of ship designs, equipment, tasks, etc. is a good idea where feasible.
Why should Traveller solely aim to please its established fanbase? How would it ever attract new people then? And given how apparently picky part of the fanbase is, I don't think anything would ever satisfy them even if you went out of the way to make something that attempted to do so.

You are quite willing to write off the grognards, but as one, I can say I have bought every version of Traveller (even if all since MT ahve been disappointing in varying degrees).
So have I.... I guess I use the term 'grognard' to mean 'those really stubborn CT fans who don't like change'.

I continue to be interested, but I'd lose interest if a mass re-write was done. Why? Because I already paid enough for what I've got. Add to it, sure I'll buy that. Write over it... you'll likely just annoy me.
To be honest, Trav's had 6 different versions come out (CT, MT, TNE, T4, GT, T20), with possibly another coming out in the distant future (T5). I'm sure a lot of people who have followed Traveller through the years have already paid enough for what they've got. Publishers have got to be reaching the point of diminishing returns in catering to the long-term fans (or even already gone way past it).

4. The problem with canon: I don't understand why people can't see this. Let me put it this way: IMTU, I try to have a coherent model of commerce, military and political organization that may not quite be OTU, but is darn close to it with me filling in the blanks. When people then come along and fill in those blanks officially, what I've done now likely conflicts with it. I have a choice: keep it, modify it, or toss it out. Keep it, okay I have to change something which may have affected a lot of my game (say my economic model). Modify it? Might be a lot of work and I don't have a playtesting staff. So can I do better? Dunno. Toss it out? Well, I can do that. But I know other things in the product line will build on it, and I'll eventually start to notice the divergence more and more.
Let me put it this way - what would you do if they made a change in the OTU that really screwed up that model you made that you presumably spent a lot of time on? You could either throw a strop and storm out of Traveller forever, thus making a decision to cast aside all the time and effort you put into making the model in the first place, and doing nobody any favours at all. Or you could attempt to incorporate the change and come to some sort of comprimise. Or you could ignore the OTU change completely, and stay happy with the model that you constructed. Remember, nobody - least of all the writers of the game - is holding a gun to your head and saying 'thou shalt incorporate these changes into your own setting or else'.

So your game may diverge with the OTU after a while if you ignore the change. Who cares?! Let it. Surely what's important is that your own universe makes sense to you, and is consistent to you and your players. Chances are, the divergence will be so insignificant or irrelevant to actual play that you can shove it in the background and ignore it anyway. Changing a population digit on a UWP will not cause anyone's universe to collapse!

Right now, I see discussions with really neat things I'd like to use, but now they have 'Feats' and other hard to translate stuff in them.
'Feats' are a game mechanic from T20. They're system specific things that never even existed in Traveller before anyway. That sort of thing can't really be helped, short of changing rulesets.

I see news articles from TAS that I like, but they are GT universe and so don't (maybe) tie into my own.

If I spec an unspec'd planetary system, and then someone writes over it officially, I have to decide what to do about that.
Remember, nobody's forcing you to use these things in your universe anyway. You don't have to slavishly follow what is said in the books.

Years ago I wrote up my own version of the Reaver's Deep sector, with absolutely no regard for existing canon (because I didn't know any existed anyway). Now I know there's some Reaver's Deep canon out there... but I don't care, because What's official canon isn't relevant to MTU (and my traveller universe that I wrote those up for was a lot closer to CT than what I was using later on). Now, if you'd spent a few months writing up something like that and were happy with it, and then found that there was already canonical material, would you REALLY tear your hair out in anguish and wonder whether you should ditch your own material?

End result: We virtually never play AD&D of any flavour anymore, and it sits on a shelf. It changed itself so many times we stopped buying it. And this after contributing thousands (and I do mean that) of dollars.
So why didn't you just say 'oh, screw what they've written, we'll carry on playing what we like'? How do the changing 'official rules and settings' make anything that you've done any less valid or enjoyable?

I get the impression that you're choosing to anchor yourself to whatever the 'official line' is, and I'm not sure why. Don't forget what Traveller was originally - a toolkit with which to make your own sci-fi backgrounds. Heck, for the first few books of CT, there was no official background setting at all! One of the things that I will give credit to T20 for is that it goes back to those 'toolkit' roots. So why not take whatever you're comfortable with from the rules and the setting and put that into your own game, and ignore the rest?

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:

Why should Traveller solely aim to please its established fanbase? How would it ever attract new people then? And given how apparently picky part of the fanbase is, I don't think anything would ever satisfy them even if you went out of the way to make something that attempted to do so.
I don't recall saying that the old fan base should be the sole target. In fact, if you read what I wrote, I suggest that having the entire fanbase aboard (new and old) will lead to more fiscal viability of the enterprise. And yes, there will be those you can never please. However, that does not mean you should neglect making an attempt to please some of those you can.

So have I.... I guess I use the term 'grognard' to mean 'those really stubborn CT fans who don't like change'.
I thought it was just one of us who was a veteran of the old days, rather than married to them. For the record, I buy from BITS and QLI and support further progress for the game in whatever format.

To be honest, Trav's had 6 different versions come out (CT, MT, TNE, T4, GT, T20), with possibly another coming out in the distant future (T5). I'm sure a lot of people who have followed Traveller through the years have already paid enough for what they've got. Publishers have got to be reaching the point of diminishing returns in catering to the long-term fans (or even already gone way past it).
Yes and no. As long as the newer version is seen to do things better, it has some place. MT was CT plus tasks, to my mind, plus an advancement of the OTU setting. So it was good. TNE was an advancement of the setting, however I percieved it as a step back in some ways. Ship combat was better once you had BL, but not very compatible backwardly. So it wasn't perfect. CT was the first, and it was okay, though had too many niggly numbers (needed the task system). GT was good for what it did for the setting (Rebellion alternative that meshed up until 1115) and for what it offered in terms of connectivity to the larger GURPS pool of players and products. T20 had a D20 justification, so not so bad, and picked an inoffensive way to blend into the timeline. T4.... well, that blew chunks, IMO. Sadly, it was supposed to be updated CT, but it was...fugly in my opinion.

So, a new version (T5) has to bring to the table either an enhancement of the strengths of a prior version, the redress of some of the weaknesses, or integration with a new product line that offers new options. So far as I can see, it is T4 rehashed plus some ideas for doing things 'a new way' which actually I don't think is a good way to move forward when the old way, with some repairs, could be very very solid, tried and true. Plus if it is presented as poorly as T4, it will be a disaster.

So, there is a place for new versions, but not 'because we can' or 'because it is time to sell a new one' or 'because we churn through our fanbase every 18 months'. How about 'because it fixes the problems of the old one' or how about 'because it adds to the options' or how about 'because it enhances slightly some old things and presents them more clearly, concisely and with no errata'? These are all fine reasons.

Let me put it this way - what would you do if they made a change in the OTU that really screwed up that model you made that you presumably spent a lot of time on? You could either throw a strop and storm out of Traveller forever, thus making a decision to cast aside all the time and effort you put into making the model in the first place, and doing nobody any favours at all. Or you could attempt to incorporate the change and come to some sort of comprimise. Or you could ignore the OTU change completely, and stay happy with the model that you constructed. Remember, nobody - least of all the writers of the game - is holding a gun to your head and saying 'thou shalt incorporate these changes into your own setting or else'.
You will note I *said* as much. However, then every product I buy, I have to say 'does this depend on that OTU thing I didn't use' before I know if it will fit in. Do I want that? If I have to do that kind of work, why am I buying other people's stuff? I'm essentially going to rewrite it myself anyway if I do that. My point is, with some parts of the setting very stable (map, basic mechanics of things like economics, jump, etc), then you can have a lot of fun with history, politics, etc. and different time periods, races, etc. and add to the setting without 'breaking' what has already been done.

So your game may diverge with the OTU after a while if you ignore the change. Who cares?! Let it. Surely what's important is that your own universe makes sense to you, and is consistent to you and your players.
Do this enough times along the way and
1. OTU products then become problematic to use (hence why buy them?)
2. You may get caught in slips if you do use OTU products, as you discover later they had some dependency on something you didn't do or use

Chances are, the divergence will be so insignificant or irrelevant to actual play that you can shove it in the background and ignore it anyway.
One man's insignificant...

Some people would waive off the economics rules as 'not important to the gaming experience'. I find they underpin the whole logic of the universe. Others think that how jump works is a niggling detail. Some think this is absolutely critical. So insignificant is a lot in the eyes of the beholder.

Changing a population digit on a UWP will not cause anyone's universe to collapse!
No, but a campaign world built on a JG or PP product, then overwritten entirely by something else which is mentioned in the new OTU product will leave you thinking.... hmmm... without it, this breaks X Y and Z in the surrounding sectors now..... but with it, I may have to toss everything I did.... Tough choice to be put.

So, changing small things (your point) probably won't be earth shattering. But small or large is often, as I point out in counter, in the eyes of the observer.

'Feats' are a game mechanic from T20. They're system specific things that never even existed in Traveller before anyway. That sort of thing can't really be helped, short of changing rulesets.
Nor did I say otherwise. I just said it is hard to translate. I can translate (using the BITS Task System) most CT/MT/TNE/T4 stuff into one another. But T20 is.... a harder mate up. GT might also be tough. Unavoidable? Maybe. Something it would be nice to have some scholarly thought put into, for portability? Definitely.

Remember, nobody's forcing you to use these things in your universe anyway. You don't have to slavishly follow what is said in the books.
Why is it that everyone who doesn't care about canon harps on that I think it introduces issues to diverge from it a bit, but only a bit? <rhetorial query>

I heard this PoV from others, and you'll note my objections. I don't have to follow things slavishly, but changes have consequences, and the further I diverge, the less like 'Traveller' (at least the common universe) my game becomes. Is that bad? Maybe, if new players don't recognize my TU as a TU.... or if this means new products get tougher to use.

If you aren't in the TU, you probably don't buy the products to use at all, so you don't see this issue. If you are in the OTU and flex with it, you don't see it either. Only if you are in something near to a TU and have problems with some of the flexing does this show up.

Years ago I wrote up my own version of the Reaver's Deep sector, with absolutely no regard for existing canon (because I didn't know any existed anyway). Now I know there's some Reaver's Deep canon out there... but I don't care, because What's official canon isn't relevant to MTU
But if you *were* using an OTU, not a different one, and you had some of the stuff you thought was OTU overwritten, then the new stuff all ties neatly together, so your bit doesn't tie in. So you're left figuring out what to do. And this isn't really required, given the amount of uncovered material or different periods or whatever there is to do. Papering over, or major philosophical changes, aren't a good thing. Now, MT is a special case as DGP stuff is problematic. I hate that, but it is the way it is.

(and my traveller universe that I wrote those up for was a lot closer to CT than what I was using later on). Now, if you'd spent a few months writing up something like that and were happy with it, and then found that there was already canonical material, would you REALLY tear your hair out in anguish and wonder whether you should ditch your own material?
No, but every time I DL'd a new TAS bulletin, I'd have to give it the jaundiced eye and say "Does it apply in my world?". Every time I bought a new supplement, I'd have to check where it was set. If it was in RD, I'd have to say "hmmmm.... better get a look at it before I buy it to know what part of it might be useful, if any....".

If you're totally out of the OTU, you're liberated from this. If you're totally in the OTU, flex freely with it, then you've got no issue either. Only half way between do you have an issue. Sadly, I think there are a lot of us whose TU fits that category.

So why didn't you just say 'oh, screw what they've written, we'll carry on playing what we like'? How do the changing 'official rules and settings' make anything that you've done any less valid or enjoyable?
One of the reasons you *buy* a product, is to gain the benefit of someone else doing design and testing work on it. You can then integrate it, hopefully easily, into your work. When you discover that suddenly you're going to be doing all the work, because the new iteration is utterly unpalatable, suddenly that makes the ref's job much harder. That, and the player's being split on what they liked/hated about the new/old, and people feeling the world was being wrecked or abandoned, or the part of the world they developed being rewritten.... it just leaves a bad taste. Sure, you can ignore all that, but that may bring to an end all the useful stuff you *were* getting from the published products (and you know the new ones won't be of use).

From a business perspective, I think this was a poor decision on the part of the designers. IMO.

I get the impression that you're choosing to anchor yourself to whatever the 'official line' is, and I'm not sure why.
No, just to something consistent while trying to reap the benefits of new work with minimal consideration or extra work involved in rewriting the material.

Don't forget what Traveller was originally - a toolkit with which to make your own sci-fi backgrounds.
What it was or was not is besides the point to what it is. Further, it was never that to me. I started with Deluxe Trav in 1980 or 1981, but the OTU started to form pretty much around the Spinward Marches. It wasn't what it is today, but it was still recognizable as the OTU.

Heck, for the first few books of CT, there was no official background setting at all! One of the things that I will give credit to T20 for is that it goes back to those 'toolkit' roots. So why not take whatever you're comfortable with from the rules and the setting and put that into your own game, and ignore the rest?
Frankly, I'm not going to pay someone for supplements, expansions, etc. if they aren't of any use. And changing some core assumptions or rewriting bits of history helps to assure that.

I don't really care what they do - I can't control that. They'll make decisions as they see fit. I can only state my own likely reactions and those of my group. As consumers, we're likely to buy X and not buy Y and possibly become alienated by Z. Whether everyone understands or agrees is merely an interesting side topic. Arguments abound, but for a business, it is what I shell out cash for that determines their success.

Let me put it this way - what would you do if they made a change in the OTU that really screwed up that model you made that you presumably spent a lot of time on?
Writers do have something of a duty to the players *not* to make that kind of change.

If you've developed a history for a previously undescribed world, and then they publish something that contradicts you, well, tough, there's no way of avoiding that. OTOH, if you're using a previously published description of the world as your basis, and then they publish a new, contradictory description (or, say, they change the way jump drives work...), then you're entitled to be pissed off.

Back