• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Problem reading TA5?

rambler

SOC-7
Is anyone else having a problem reading TA5? While the other Traveller's Aides show up as zip compressed folders, this appears (once I've downloaded it) as a zip of a file of type "PL" and my Win 'XP doesn't have a clue how to open it. I'm unable to read or process either the "screen" or "print" versions.

Is there something else I need? Have I missed something obvious?

Originally posted by rambler:
Is anyone else having a problem reading TA5? While the other Traveller's Aides show up as zip compressed folders, this appears (once I've downloaded it) as a zip of a file of type "PL" and my Win 'XP doesn't have a clue how to open it. I'm unable to read or process either the "screen" or "print" versions.

Tried renaming it .Zip? .pdf?

Load it up with wordpad and look up any intelligible text in the first page. pkzip means its a Zip etc...

Normally, there`s a readable signature in the files headers.

Originally posted by rambler:

Just rename the file .zip instead of .pl. It should work fine then. Sounds like your browser isn't reading the header information from the server properly.

Hunter

I've had the same problem - what you're getting is the script page (.pl). If you have the option tell the browser to open it in place. You may have to cycle through this a few times before you get the .zip or .pdf but it *does* work... eventually. Downloading the .pl file (with whatever extention) will get you a *very* small file.

Hunter - something is seriously wonky (yes 'wonky' is a technical term <g>) in the download section - this happened to me downloading both the gateway pdf (for which you have my thanks!) and TA5. Fortunately I recognised the .pl as the scripted page (perl?) file extension and told the browser to run the thing.

Not whining - just hoping to contribute data for a fix.

GL HTH

--Michael

Back