• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Price-this probably has been covered..........

Hey all, I have been reading some post about T20 that complain about the price. Well, I went to a local used book store and got a copy of the DND3 PHB while I was there they had a copy of the Fading suns D20 book so I got it to see what it was like. I have played Fading suns before and had the main rule book. The D20 book which normally sells for $25.00, was very diappointing and I think this is a problem with alot of the D20 books from other companies is that they are cheaper than WOTC but they just dont have the material in them to even get started. The Fading sun book had alot of missing material. The reason I bring this up is because T20 is going to be a complete game and that is why I will pay the price to bring my D20 lovin' group into the traveller universe, my favorite place to play.

I too like the idea that the First T20 book is so big. I always feel like I'm being ripped off when you have to buy 2 or 3 books just to keep the cost per book down.

Why? because there is a "fixed cost overhead" when creating a book. So while a $45 book might get broken in to two seperate book, those books could easily end up costing $30 each ($60 total).

Originally posted by Commonman:

The reason I bring this up is because T20 is going to be a complete game and that is why I will pay the price to bring my D20 lovin' group into the traveller universe, my favorite place to play.
Um, to be a devil's advocate...

I sincerely doubt The Traveller's Handbook is going to be the only product QuikLink will publish for the T20 line. So technically, it may not be a complete game. It may have what you NEED to play the T20 game, but it's not complete nor comprehensive.

Originally posted by Reginald:
I sincerely doubt The Traveller's Handbook is going to be the only product QuikLink will publish for the T20 line. So technically, it may not be a complete game. It may have what you NEED to play the T20 game, but it's not complete nor comprehensive.
I believe the idea is that TTH will contain all the rules but almost none of the setting, while future books will be almost entirely setting-oriented with minimal/no rules content (and most of THAT I'm assuming will be stuff like new gear, Prestige Classes, and/or racial templates -- i.e. added chrome rather than added substance). If you aren't interested in following the 'official' Gateway 1000 setting you should be able to run a d20 SF campaign using only the material provided in TTH. They're not going to force you to buy one book for Space Combat, another for World Building, yet another for Trade & Commerce, and so on -- it's all covered in TTH. At least that's my understanding; I may very well be wrong (I'm not a playtester and haven't actually seen the book yet).

Back