• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Planetary Catalog

BluWolf

SOC-12
The mechanics for generating systems and worlds are pretty solid and leave a lot of leeway for Refs to create some unique destinations. This is great but also sometimes a bit of a burden.

I would like everyone here to contribute to a list of planets with themes and possible hooks for mass consumption.

I'm not looking for a study in astrological geography or a debate on what is possible or not. Sometimes in this game its what barely skirts reality that is the most fun. We'll just start with the forgone conclusion that we are not ALL scientist and that there are stranger things under heaven and earth than all that rot.

I'll start;

Foundry;
World has a thin atmosphere and an incredibly high composition of high grade iron. Essentially it is a high iron density asteroid with a stable orbit and other characteristics of a planet.

Hook: a major mining conglomerate has set up a vast mining operation involving indentured servitude. No manufacuring so everything has to be brought in from off planet. Could have alloy manufacturing capabilites dirt side with a big space port.

Next....

I always liked to put something special on a planet --- generally if time permitted enough specialties to make it a memorable trip.

for example -- one one planet I had giant mushroom like plants (the 'bloom' stood 3m to 5m high) that would shoot spores into the air much like geysers. A local past-time was to take your amore there for picnics and enjoyment. The spores were very colorful and the content was mildy hallucinogenic. Local tradition had it that it was a love potion and that if you took you intended there you'd be in love forever.

Originally posted by Big Tim:
I always liked to put something special on a planet --- generally if time permitted enough specialties to make it a memorable trip.

for example -- one one planet I had giant mushroom like plants (the 'bloom' stood 3m to 5m high) that would shoot spores into the air much like geysers. A local past-time was to take your amore there for picnics and enjoyment. The spores were very colorful and the content was mildy hallucinogenic. Local tradition had it that it was a love potion and that if you took you intended there you'd be in love forever.
I could see someone can have a allergic reaction. A nasty twist to ruin a PC's shoreleave liasion. :( ;)
file_23.gif

Neat local color and idea!

heh.. I had one animal on a world that was a giant carnivorious flightless bird (the height of an elephant). It would swallow rocks to help crush teh bones it ate and these rockes would turn into a pearl like object. The locals (in this case the locals were sentine primates about tech 3 or 4) wore them as jewlery.

THat was interesting -- you had the players hunting these creaures to harvest what turned out to be very, very lucrative and fight the natives that were xenophobic and hated outsiders at the same time. THat was a cool little side-adventure....in fact, so cool I think I'll resurrect it into my T20 game.

Back