• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Phants (name pending)

Well got an idea after watching elephants on a nature show. Their trunks are just so useful the way that they can be used. Coupled with other manipulative digits I coudl see how a elephant type of animal coudl eventually becoem sentient. Anyways after a number os sketches trying out different concepts I decided on this one. The twin trunks wer originally used to help put food in teh mouth it has a posture more like a sloth in that it can go upright for short periods of time so it can use its front feet as hands to lesser extent. But a lto of the maipulation i sin the twin trunks. (not tentacles) Anyways here is a rough sketch of it.
phant.jpg

a little different but still 'phants:
the aliens in Footfall they had a prehesile trunk that split, but no opposible thumb.
They where quadrapedal, there guns where really intesting, good culture too, they would have made good trav aliens.

Spank yeah thanks for that. This is a work in progress and want to get some of my thoughts straightened out on it. I noticed I need to put an ear on is somewhere. Trying to get where I can make a fully realized 3D model of it. I am thinking of using sort of a sloth type of stature it can rise and walk short distances on 2 legs but pretty much a quadraped. I will take a look at some more animal pics.

If that's the thought you might make their toes less human so as to clarify that they aren't meant to be the primary manipulators.

66.jpg

Right now I am thinkign of keepign the resonable size stull very large. Maybe 7 feet tall when on their hind legs and pretty massive maybe 800 pounds or so.

Basically they are small elephantine creatures with two trunks. Do they come from a high gravity world? Is that why they are built like an elephant? I think a large or a Huge Alien would be interesting, because then they would have to build spaceships and weapons scaled to their size. Fantasy world are populated by giants and tiny intelligent creatures, I don't see why a science fiction setting has to have all man-sized intelligent aliens. Imagine the challenge of trying to build a space station to accomodate all types of creatures of varying sizes.

Remember the first movie "Alien"? When the spacemen were rumaging through that alien spacecraft, they came across the skeletons of some rather large intelligent aliens that apparently flew the spacecraft, they looked something like those elephantine ones judging from the skeletal structure, yet they never made an appearance in any subsequent alien films, it was just those acid spitting, egg implating alien monsters and humans plus the Aliens Vs Predator movie which I never saw. Very rare are those giant intelligent aliens that aren't monsters.

I don't see why a science fiction setting has to have all man-sized intelligent aliens. Imagine the challenge of trying to build a space station to accomodate all types of creatures of varying sizes.
Virushi anyone? ;)

Arthur C. Clarke's "Profiles of the Future" talks about this sort of thing. Making some sort of animal that is autonomous enough to perform varied tasks, and be smart enough to run light errands and even take messages.

That drawing is cool!

Their name, in their (dominant) native language, could be "pha'aianats," which humans shortened to "phants."

Back