• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

OTU Overview

opensent

SOC-12
Does anyone have a link or perhaps some text that provides a brief overview of the Offical Traveller Universe?

I'm starting a new game and I've got a couple of players who are not familiar with Traveller and I'd like for them to have something to read that gives a brief overview of the Imperium, Starships, X-Boats, etc.

Thanks!

Here's a handout I give to new players:
Traveller is set in the sectors controlled by the Imperium, a remote central government possessed of great industrial and technological might.
Due to the sheer distances and travel times involved it is unable to exert total control at all levels everywhere within its star-spanning realm. As a result, the Imperium allows a great deal of autonomy to its subject worlds beyond the central Core systems.

Here on the frontier, in a sector called The Spinward Marches, extensive home rule provisions allow planetary populations to choose their own forms of government, raise and maintain armed forces for local security, pass and enforce laws governing local conduct, and regulate commerce (within limits). The Imperium asks for respect for its overall policies, and for a united front against outside pressures.

Defence of the frontier is mostly supplied by local indigenous forces, stiffened by scattered Imperial Naval bases manned by small but extremely sophisticated forces.
Conflicting local interests are often settled by force of arms, with Imperial forces quietly looking the other way, unable to intervene in any but the most wide-spread disputes, which threaten the security or the economy of the area.

The Imperium also maintains the Imperial Interstellar Scout Service, equal in stature to the Imperial Navy and Army, whose duties include exploration of and beyond the Imperial frontier, on-going mapping and surveying of Imperial territory, and the maintenance of interstellar communications through its express boat network.
The IISS maintains bases and waystations on many worlds in order to facilitate its mission.

Moving within the safety of the Imperium are the merchantmen. Whether free trader or megacorporation bulk tranport, tramp liner or luxury cruiser, it is trade and commerce which is the life blood of the Imperium.
And here are a couple of useful background links:
http://www.mega-traveller.com/beowulf/libframe.htm

http://inexorabletash.members.winisp.net/maps/map.htm

http://traveller.downport.com/understanding_traveller.html

http://traveller.downport.com/images/history.pdf

Wikipedia does a good job of explaining it. It's a little bit long of a read (the article scrolls down at least 2 pages long).

Sorry, this website forbids me from posting "URLs that contain parenthesis". Which is stupid. So I cannot directly post a link of that article here. Hmmm.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile endeavour to ask if anyone has done a graphic novel/comic book approach to the history of OTU. We have some good artists here on the CofI, have you ever thought of doing an intro in graphic form...well, some parts like the Rebellion will be naturally more graphic than others (pun intended).

I cut some info out the wiki article, but I'm going to link the stuff Sigg provided as well. Thanks to all!!

Originally posted by kafka47:
I wonder if it would be worthwhile endeavour to ask if anyone has done a graphic novel/comic book approach to the history of OTU. We have some good artists here on the CofI, have you ever thought of doing an intro in graphic form...well, some parts like the Rebellion will be naturally more graphic than others (pun intended).
I think this is a really good idea. Great way to engage new players.

Originally posted by kafka47:
I wonder if it would be worthwhile endeavour to ask if anyone has done a graphic novel/comic book approach to the history of OTU.
This is something I've considered for a while, but the text would need to be boiled right down to simple bites of info filling in very broad strokes. It should be the kind of thing that might appear at the beginning of a movie or TV show (like Dune, Star Trek and Babylon 5). No more than say 6 to 10 pages. It shouldn't be too difficult. There's no reason to go on about the 1st and second Imperiums or mention any real detail about the alien races beyond their names and a picture of them.

This is what I have so far. Feel free to rip it to pieces. I've literally jotted down notes at this stage:

Millenia ago the Solomani spread out from their mother, Earth to colonise the stars.

It is the year 1120 and the Third Imperium of Mankind is ruled over by the illustrious Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi.

The Third Imperium is vast, encompassing eleven thousand worlds in an area over two thousand light years across. It is so vast, in fact, that many worlds are left pretty much to govern themselves, setting their own laws and managing their own economies. Worlds and indeed, entire regions of the Imperium are ruled by minor nobility, most of whom have a stake in the throne and play games of intrigue within the Imperial court.

There are many strange and wonderful forms of life, both amongst the Imperial Citizenry and beyond it's borders. Most prominent of these races are the the human Vilani, the telepathic Zhodani, the lupine Vargr, the feline Aslan, the vegan K'kree, the lizardlike Droyne and the bizarre Hivers.

Travel between the stars is accomplished using the 'Jump' drive. A form of engine that opens up a portal into a pocket universe, allowing starships to travel many light years in as little as a week. Communications in the Imperium are limited to the speeds of these ships.

The Imperium is a thriving place. A place of commerce and exploration. Of conflict and intrigue. Of deeds both lawful and illegal. Of astounding technology and ancient mysteries.

Must also mention or illustrate:

SCOUTS

AIR RAFTS

LASER WEAPONS

GRAV BELTS
Thoughts?

Crow

The Imperial Interstellar Scout Service is one of the bindings that holds the Imperium together. These hardy and intrepid sophonts keep tabs on the member worlds, carry routine correspondence, news, and imperial communiques, and protect and monitor non-spacefaring populations within the Imperium. The IISS used to do exploration, now they do maintenance and postal duty. They have always done some of the dirty work needed to keep the Imperium alive. With no ranks, honors, nor rewards, scouts work in anonymity and equality, out of duty and curiosity, for a modicum of pay, and a life of travel. Their ubiquitous utility spacecraft is the Scout/Courier, a diamond-wedge-shaped 1-8 person starship, often released to scouts who are no longer on active assignment.

Very nice introduction Crow, I would just visualize like the upward scrolling characters like we see at the beginning of the Star Wars films. Maybe, you and Andrew could collabourate for a movie...

I also kind of like the idea of the campfire story whereby an old timer could be telling a young girl (hey, we do have get more babes into the hobby)** who could then recount different episodes of Imperial history, like that sidebar in TNE.

**Or it could be Anime characters that seem fairly androgynous, to me at least.

Let's do it. One of my first freelance gigs was laying out comics and doing seperations. I have had a lifelong love for both media, comics and Traveller.

Warhammer 40k does it. What are you saying? With all these brits around here, 40k is better? Better than Traveller?

We need to do an overview page of all projects

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kafka47:
I wonder if it would be worthwhile endeavour to ask if anyone has done a graphic novel/comic book approach to the history of OTU.
This is something I've considered for a while, but the text would need to be boiled right down to simple bites of info filling in very broad strokes. It should be the kind of thing that might appear at the beginning of a movie or TV show (like Dune, Star Trek and Babylon 5).</font>[/QUOTE]Yep, or along the lines of the opening scene in the Serenity movie showing the colonists leaving Earth to settle the star system depicted in Firefly/Serenity and then speaking a few words about terraformation and about the Core Worlds forming the Alliance and the Outer Worlds resisting.

Originally posted by hirch duckfinder:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kafka47:
I think this is a really good idea. Great way to engage new players. </font>[/QUOTE]Any takers? (I'd ask my girlfriend but she's overloaded with studies - a B.A. in Animal Sciences [Zoology and Livestock-Agriculture] - and her inspiration, her "muse", is very unpredictable).

What scope should it be? Something like the aftermentioned Serenity opening scene or something more detailed (even going into the 1st Imperium and the Interstellar Wars)?

"It is the 57th Century. Humaniti has found out that not only is he not alone in the Universe, but that Eons ago, he was taken from the cradle of Earth and settled on many other worlds. Worlds where strange new cultures grew and clashed, millions of inhabitiants on thousands of worlds living and dying over the centuries...

Great Empires rose, and fell... the dispersal of humaniti had made control of interstellar trade paramount to control of the Universe. Now, as past transforms to history, the Great Empires of the Universe affect one another in ways that only time can tell...

Into this environment walks the Traveller. The Traveller sees the panorama of Universe for what it is. While the bulk of species make a living tied to this world or that, The Traveller's life is in constant motion. Space is the natural environment. The universe is beyond scale, and the Traveller wants to see it all... Twice! The Traveller makes the most of skills gained in the past, adapting to any situation, be it repairing a Jump Drive or triumphing in deadly combat. A good Traveller is ready for anything..."

I keep thinking of the intro to Lynch's Dune. The intro to Serenity is an excellent example too.

I think the first thing to do is brainstorm the key elements that players need to know going in.
Here is my first brainfart:

Strephon and the overall Imperial Feudal government system.
Sectors and Subsectors and local government autonomy including amber and red zones.
Jump Drives
Major Alien Races
Tech Levels and tech examples
The Frontier
Commerce and Conflict

Crow

I went on the premise of making it not too spcific about details and such, and not making it an Imperial Only or Zhodani Only Observation. I went for a universal approach. I know that "57th Century" may need to go.

It also works on the premise of the "Traveller" as Adventurer, without concrete definition of careers. It also kind of makes a social distinction between planetlubbers and "Ship People". If the Average PC party is any indicator, I would think a Lot of worlds may be at least wary of groupings of offworld wierdoes...

THe above on second reading may be too corny... but I wanted to convey scope. The Idea that anything is possible out there.

I liked the old intro to Battlestar as read by Patrick McNee. Good bit that.

To self edit further, The first sentence is really clumsy.

also the word "Universe" is used to much, even tho it rules as a word. ITs got a lot of power to it. Scale...

I dunno, I don't think you have to explain it at all. I mean, regarding the Serenity opening, as a device it was "ok", but it could also have been incorporated in the narrative.

For example, look at, say, the movie "Braveheart". It pretty well explains as much of the English Feudal system as it really necessary within the context of the movie. You don't need to be an English History major to understand it, and he the "Youth of Today" can figure it out with even knowing there IS an England.

There's no reason to explain every particular nuance, particularly of something as large as the Imperium, in the context of a single story.

For example, you could over hear a conversation in a bar between two guys discussing being boarded by Vargr pirates without having to know anything about Vargrs save that they're pirates.

One thing I think that is quite interesting was a quote by Jerry Bruckheimer, a mega blockbust movie producer who happens to be behind TV shows like CSI.

He was talking about how he likes television simply because you have more time to tell the story. In a movie you have 2, maybe 3 hours. In TV you have 13+ hrs to tell the story.

Serenity and Firefly are perfect examples of that. There really wasn't much of a reason to "explain" the Verse and Alliance all at once in Firefly, because you have all this time to do it (assuming that the show is, you know, actually broadcast in order -- and completely, but water under the bridge...).

With many modern shows being long running serials, I think the difference between a "movie" actor and a "TV" actor is starting to drift. Add in the essentially "R" rated flexibility that something like the Soprano's offer, and we're today getting very high quality broadcast content.

The hardest part is simply that 1hr time barrier to break the show up in to. It can mess with continuity a bit.

It has been 5760 years since the Romans nailed a jewish preacher to a tree, and changed Terra for millenia. Mankind has found that there are many worlds, and many of them are inhabited. As mankind left the cradle of Terra, they found that someone before had spread humankind across the known universe. But Mankind is not alone. 8 groups discovered the secrets to travelling the stars... The enigmatic and tradition-bound Droyne, The proud and fierce Aslan, the brash and chaotic Vargr, The manipulating Hivers, the militant vegetarian K'Kree, and three groups of humans: Zhodani, perfidous psionicists; The Vilani, calculating bureaucrats; and the Terrans, now called Solomani, the bringers of change.

The Third Imperium.... for 1100 years of the Nobility keeping the 11000 worlds from annihilating each other. One man, Strephon Alkhalikoi, sits on the Iridium throne, binding together the remenants of the Vilani and Terran Imperiums.

The Imperium is run by the nobility, scattered about, all in fealty to their Emperor, Strephon. Under their control, the various fleets of the Imperial Navy maintain the peace. The Imperial Marines, carried with the navy, provide the iron fist the Archdukes use to keep their underlings in line.

The Imperial Interstellar Scout Service keeps the official lines of communication open, providing electronic mail services, perfoming the census and internal mapping surveys, and keeping tabs upon the worlds in and near the Imperium.

The tasks of keeping the lines of trade and communication open are mighty, as the Jump Drive, which allows ships to punch into hyperspace, can only travel at best 6 parsecs per jump, and any jump takes a week, no matter how short. And every so often, a ship never comes out of jump, or exits far from the intended exit point. Try as they might, no known power in the universe has been able to send messages any faster than light speed except by sending a ship, nor to attain a controlled jump of more than 6 parsecs distance.

Local tensions often run high, and worlds are permitted local government of choice, merchant and self-defense fleets, so long as they meet their Imperial quotas for recruits, ships, fuel, and food. The Imperium has learned that hostilities will break out, and regulates them rather than prohibits them... including piracy and espionage.

Despite the hazards of thousands of subject governments, state permitted piracy and internal warfare, the vagaries of jump space, hardy souls take to the stars, some as merchants, some as tourists, some as mercenaries or pirates, and some as criminals... These are Travellers, and this game tells their stories.

Originally posted by Aramis:
It has been 5760 years since the Romans nailed a jewish preacher to a tree, and changed Terra for millenia.
It's even better than that. There is no direct evidence that there ever was a "Jewish preacher", or if there was, that he lived at the time he was supposed to have been nailed to a tree.

That goes to show how powerful belief actually is.

Just remember that in a TV show or a movie, the creator controls all characters; in an RPG, the players control some of the characters, so the players will need to know a little more about the universe before gamestart than TV/movie viewers need to know before watching a new series/movie.

Back