• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

OK, so I bought the T20 Book........

Gruffty

SOC-14 1K
........only I haven't bought the d20 core rule book yet................

Thoughts & First Impressions

Nice cover, well bound, didn't expect such a big/thick book! Looks and feels like I got VFM. Well done QLI/RPGRealms!

Pleased with the ship design system (very nicely HG), not sure about the graphics round the edges of the pages (but then I am an old CT grognard) but that's not important right now.........

Need to take the time to read through the book and absorb the contents.

A big well done to all involved - a quality book.

Q 1: I know I need to buy the d20 core rules book - is there more than one publisher, is are WotC the only ones?

Q 2: Which d20 core rules book edition(s) are most sutable for T20?

Replies to the usual address on the back of envelopes containing used, unmarked cash in sterling only.

d20 Star Wars would be my choice, but I hear everything is being bought up like hotcakes since the last movie came out. I found out my Star Wars Starships book is worth $150! on eBay.

Woo hoo!

Dameon
(By the way, I own D&D 3.0 & 3.5, d20 Modern, and d20 Star Wars and have used all three - Star Wars would be best)

Well, in reality, if you've played D&D or D20 Modern before, you really don't need any core book. 99% of the rules you need are in the T20 book.

By the rules of the D20 licence you need to buy a WotC core book. I would also recommend either D20 Modern/Future or Star Wars over D&D.

If you really want to worry your players use the D20 Call of Cthulhu book for your core rules...
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
If you really want to worry your players use the D20 Call of Cthulhu book for your core rules...
file_23.gif
Speaking of which... Traveller canon says taking a look at jumpspace makes you go nuts, IIRC. The Cthulhu stories say the same about taking a look at the Elder Gods.

Conclusion:

:eek: The Elder Gods are living in jumpspace :eek:

BTW this does sounds like an interesting idea: Cthulhu Traveller
file_23.gif

Dave Nilson mentioned that one of the ideas that may have been developed in TNE was the existence of "supraspace intellects" interacting through jump space...

"The visibility... Infinite grey plains, and upon it, things crawled, each as vast as clusters. And one of them looked at me..."

Baron Whhhmmhh, Regina Asylum for Distressed Gentry.

If you can, buy D&D 3.0 - it should be available for less than D&D 3.5 and frankly it is more compatible with Traveller T20 as it was based on that version of the d20 rules.

IIRC you will need the players' handbook AND the dungeon masters guide. The DMG is worth it as the extra material about running a game is quite a good read, and it can always be recycled to friends and family.

The cheapest solution is to subscribe to the Moot and download a copy of the draft Traveller Players Handbook which has everything you need - albeit it in PDF format.

I have to disagree with Falkayn here. I'd suggest buying the 3.5 books. The core rules were revamped slightly, and I think it makes for a much smoother, better system. You'll have to tweak a couple of small things in the T20 book, most notably the two-weapon fighting rules and a couple of feats, but otherwise it should work without a hitch.

I would recommend buying the d20 Star Wars book with T20, 'cause that's what i did.

Also the excellent rules on the Force and Jedis'n'stuff could perhaps inspire you into creating some PSI-religious cult that threaten to take over the Universe and subsequently ... force you to publish it here so i can use (steal? ;) ) it.

Originally posted by Salar:
Or you could use the D20 3.5 SRD, available for free at http://www.d20srd.org/
The problem with the SRD is it does not contain the one key rule missing from the T20 book. The exact sequence of how a character goes up a level.

I'd suggest using the D&D3.0 PH & DMG, bought used. Good stuff in there.

But if you understand the level-up sequence, it's not really needed.

Originally posted by tjoneslo:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Salar:
Or you could use the D20 3.5 SRD, available for free at http://www.d20srd.org/
The problem with the SRD is it does not contain the one key rule missing from the T20 book. The exact sequence of how a character goes up a level. </font>[/QUOTE]Ah! Bugger! Seemed like a good idea at the time.

T20 has the xp chart.

The main thing missing from T20, IIRC, is the basic combat rules. T20 has the rules additions as they apply to T20, but not the basic stuff.

Originally posted by Gnusam Netor:
Also the excellent rules on the Force and Jedis'n'stuff could perhaps inspire you into creating some PSI-religious cult that threaten to take over the Universe and subsequently ...
That'll be the Sith, then..... ;)
Originally posted by Gnusam Netor:
force you to publish it here so i can use (steal? ;) ) it.
"These are not the rules you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along. Move along."

Back