• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

nonstarship design concepts

Pwyll

SOC-12
nonstarship design concepts
from mining platforms to SDBs is what i'm thinking here.
i'm very interested in exploring some concepts.

The lighter/jumptender system in GURPS Traveller (they call it LASH- lighter aboard ship) is an interesting varient on the non-starship design concept IMHO because it allows you to construct all sorts of non-starships in the 400-800t range and still move them from system to system relatively easily using the several kton civilian Tender.
You could almost envisage a Babylon5 type universe where the jumpgates for smallships are actually jump Tenders, or perhaps the Dune universe with jump capable Guild ships and all other ships being non- starships.
Anyway, non-starship concepts? Assault landing craft/troop transport, merchant/container ship, colony base ship, SDB/monitor, fuel shuttle, ore carrier, smallcraft docking and repair facility, research ship, communications/sensor station, traffic control, search and rescue ship/station.

Habitat (LBB2)
"Space Hotel"
800 ton
Jump-0
28 months to construct
Streamlined
TL 9
MCr 237.2
Crew: 1 pilot, 1 engineer, 18 stewards, 1 medic, 1 gunner
Drives: mdrive-D, pplant-D. 1g manuever
Bridge: model/1 computer, 1 triple turret (b,m,s), 3 hardpoints
Fuel: 30 tons (3 months endurance)
166 staterooms
144 high passage, 30 ton lounge, ship's boat
28 tons cargo

cargo would mainly be for fresh food brought in by boat. the lounge has entertainment and comfort features of much higher technology than level 9. holo projectors are used to create a pleasant environment. supported by one or two chartered boats.

Nice designs, and both transportable by a LASH Tender.
One little nit-pick, shouldn't the hotel have 15 stewards and an extra medic?

Oh, and some more ideas; manufacturing/factory station, hospital ship, customs station, antimatter production vessel, refueling station...

plagued by typoes
One little nit-pick, shouldn't the hotel have 15 stewards and an extra medic?
it does in fact need stewards, my line of text was mostly incorrect.
medics are not required on non-starships
thanks

and thanks for the input, i'll be designing some of those.

Sorry, I can't add a ship yet. I may have an idea, though, but don't count on it (I may forget or flake out). But I do like yer space motel!

i just can't get enough of this 800 ton hull ;)

===============================
Paramilitary Fighter Base (LBB2)
800 ton, Unstreamlined, 28 months to construct, TL 9
MCr 926.6 (full price with vehicles)
Crew: (66) 2 command, 3 admin, 1 pilot, 1 engineer, 40 fighter pilots, 1 medic, 8 gunners, 10 vehicle maintenance crew
Bridge: model/1 computer, 8 triple turret (b,p,s)
Fuel: 130 tons (13 months endurance)
Vehicles: 40 fighters, 1 cutter, 1 additional module
34 staterooms (double occupancy except command crew)
5 tons cargo

allows 10 fighters on patrol at all times

Have a world worth defending but perhaps not decades to develop infrastructure. Perhaps a new hot spot near an enemy border, a new colony, or maybe ground based missile defense just isn't a normal option.

Order a few Zues or Hercules Spinal Mount Defense Platforms, the pre-fabricated Hades DMG or Kragen DSMG.

Orbital Defense:
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Zues_DP.html
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Hercules_DP.html
Planetary Defense:
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Hades_DMG.html
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Kragen_DSMG.html

Don't have a highport for the vessels bring them home with our Atlas Starport Hvy GravLift Tug or
Dwarf Starport GravLift Tug.
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Atlas_GL.html
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Dwarf_GL.html

At Savage Ship Designs, Inc. we're Meeting the Demands of a Growing Imperium.

heya Savage

glad to see more ships in this thread

large ships weren't getting any attention until now.

about those orbital targets - er, bases. have you considered what a few pounds of grapeshot (or some such small, difficult-to-detect pellets) travelling at .01c or so might do to something that has no way to evade?

Mining Platform (mostly LBB2)
800 tons, Streamlined
28 months to construct, TL 9
MCr 435.738 (full price)
Crew: (85 total) 1 manager, 2 admin, 1 pilot, 1 engineer, 1 medic, 8 gunners, 10 mass driver crew, 60 ore processing technicians, 1 boat pilot/driver
Bridge: model/1 computer, 8 single turrets (pulse)
Fuel: 130 tons, 13 months endurance (fuel refinery)
Life Support: 43 staterooms, double occupancy (manager gets a full stateroom)
Payload: 11 cargo, 400 ton ore processing bay (265 MCr), 25 ton mass driver, 1 prospectors buggy

notes:

the ship is streamlined to allow planet-side operation (tho the mass driver would not be used within a significant atmosphere).

the mass driver may deliver one ton parcels of processed ore to nearly any location within the system. it is not useful in ship-to-ship combat.

under ideal conditions, the mass driver could output up to 360 tons of processed ore in six hours. average output around 200 tons in the same period.

demolition crews and ship's lasers are used to make ore available for processing.

support vessels:

rock-cutter, 15.9 MCr
slow boat (2g)
8 small craft staterooms
pulse laser
2.9 tons cargo space
4 pilots, 4 gunners

long range prospector, 15.7 MCr
slow boat (2g)
4 small craft staterooms
pulse laser
10.9 tons cargo space
4 prospectors (1 is a also pilot)

rock tug, 16.2 MCr
ships boat (6g)
4 small craft staterooms
5.5 tons grappling gear
0.2 tons cargo
4 pilots

Pwyll,

That thought has occured to me. It is my intent to come out with several versions of the defense platform (as I do with everything) and I'll probably upgrade my atlas DPs (meson) to gravitics capable, at the least.

The concept is that you have a new base system,
maybe you deploy missile sites but no time for DMGs (or the world cannot support them).So your carrier(s) drops off 14 DPs (or more) instead of
leaving part of the expensive jump fleet there.

Presently, ship design really needs an FFS for the application of Gravitics or alternative propulsion. I'm thinking of using the vehicle design segment of THB to augment these platforms
but this would probably leave canon wouldn't it.

It is also silly that a "sector capital class A" starport does not have the resources to land capital ships. Hence, the development of the Tugs.

And last but far from least, mobile starports (on my game site but of course this is jump capable and outside the bounds of the thread).
An enemy using scorchedEarth can stop an invader cold through supply line complications. It is not a front line vessel but can augment the actions of several fleets. My Battlestation version leaves canon with the introduction of a multi-spinal mount carriage for vessels over a million tons. This addresses a canon question: do we really need to have a moon (or heavenly body) with DMGs to have multiple meson gun platforms in space. The answer should be "no". At a certain tonnage the plannetary body is not impacted by spinal mounts, I'd say 1/ million tons to closely mimic canon.

Next the design of orbital cities.

Savage

A quick review of the Hercules shows that an M1, extra life boat and 2 extra double stateroom can be added with a reduction in cargo and 100t of additional space.

Savage

Check out the following web site to see info on a 1Mton portable starport.

http://www.winterpass.com/Starport.htm

The format is T20. Design was aided by the fantastic Excel spreadsheet form Falkayn.com.

I have noticed only two problem while making these vessels.
1 - the 100 dton Repulsor Bay should be USP 9 atTL15

2 - While the rules allow you to combine turrets into batteries the spreadsheet does not

Have to like that! A Traveller on my own wavelength.

But at 1MT it'd be better as that highport I was thinking of...she's modular which helps. The Navy cannot fit too many Tigress dreadnaughts in her. Hence, I went with a 10MT station for colonization and navy fleet support.

http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Columbus_Mobile_Starport.html

I have a home rule, "pick a fight" version.
http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/Titan_HBS-HR.html

This is way off the non-starship concept...

Savage

Design was aided by the fantastic Excel spreadsheet form Falkayn.com.
3. It also reports the extra EP for black globes at units (tonnage) not EP.

But I use it as well. Very good.

Savage

Originally posted by Shadow Bear:
Check out the following web site to see info on a 1Mton portable starport.

http://www.winterpass.com/Starport.htm

The format is T20. Design was aided by the fantastic Excel spreadsheet form Falkayn.com.

I have noticed only two problem while making these vessels.
1 - the 100 dton Repulsor Bay should be USP 9 atTL15

2 - While the rules allow you to combine turrets into batteries the spreadsheet does not
Cool starport, a bit much to take in a few minutes glance, I'll have to peruse more later.

Glad you liked the spreadsheet! It's nice to see others using it.

Thanks for bringing up those problems. The first would be a mistake, the second is more due to lack of time to re-wrap my brain around the design rules and the spreadsheet code to see an easy way of doing it. (and I thought mixed turrets was hard!)

[EDIT: BTW, I like the way you think BIG. Your starship designs remind me of some of my larger ones, especially the 1,000,000 dton Jump-3 Ferry.]

Originally posted by Savage:
3. It also reports the extra EP for black globes at units (tonnage) not EP.

But I use it as well. Very good.

Savage
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll add these to my bugs list for the next version.

Falkayn
Thanks for taking the time to put together such good spreadsheets. If your taking suggestions with bug fixes. Here are a few;
1. a line for secondary bridge/CIC.
2. A couple "open" lines for designer's options (For example, adding an entertainment center to a
passenger liner, refinery equip to a belter ship,
or class rooms to a training vessel).
3. on the report cells; cost and mass of stores, USP of sensors...

Just a couple things I found useful,
Savage

Back