• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

New material

Which type of Traveller supplement would you like to see produced?

• A book with one to two dozen NPC's that includes history, goals, etc. and an adventure hook for each

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A book with several single use mercenary tickets that includes force composition, vehicle stats, and

• A book with some details about several worlds in a cluster including some NPC's and adventure hooks

• Other (please explain in thread).

• Total voters
I would love to see detailed deckplans and an adventure hook for a really larg ship. the larger the better.

R

Okay:

+ Some merc tickets with force compositions etc.

Please with decend money and an explanation how Mercs make ends meet without being secretly funded from the GrandAdmirals drug money as a rapid response force. And don't make them all TL15 grav equiped and coming in a single merc cruiser

+ A "cluster of worlds" in high detail

Preferably outside the Empire. Some equivalent to early 20th century Konstantinople would be funny.

+ Other:

I'd like to see some "fluff" books in the style of T20s Fighting Ships, Grand Fleet or Vehicles. Give me some more options for frighters and liners aside from the Typ A, R and M, in system installations(1) and what happens in the rest of a System(2). I don't need huge deckplans but I need some pictures for the players to visualise so I can "show" the universe.

Another think I would like to see is a "nobel" or "Megacorp Troubleshooter" campaign setting. Something different from the Trader/Scout/Merc concept

(1) I want to see the "Hannover class transfer/fueling station" or some bases that are NOT described as a "converted Typ Whatever used as fuel station/base" and such stuff

(2) Trade and outer system bases, some rough ideas what a planet has when it comes to sensors and defences. What does a Brubek's look like, some descriptions of various TL Ports all that stuff

Randy,

I voted for a single adventure.

We've got three active official settings now; GT, T20, and M:1248, and many people are running their own settings. What we need are materials people can drop into which ever setting they're using or campaign they're running.

The high level stuff is nice, but it's harder for the GM to fit into their setting. The more 'big picture' details like worlds, governments, and so on simply make it that way.

You can say the same about ships and deckplans. Which set of design rules will the featured ship use? How easily can that then be 'ported into a GM's campaign?

Nearly setting free adventures are another kettle of fish entirely. Written correctly, you can drop them in anyhwere with a minimum of effort. Just what the busy GM needs for a few sessions.

The old Gamelords' supplement Lee's Guide to Interstellar Adventure was a good example of this. Each adventure was 'set' within a range of UWP factors; i.e. size X to Y, atmo X to Y, etc. Each adventure also listed which worlds in the two published sectors of the time, Marches and Rim, the adventure would 'fit' into with minimal effort.

Pure adventures will also be easier to put together than the more "art" intensive world and ship books.

Have fun,
Bill

I agree with Bill. I voted for Single Use Adventure and series of adventures that make a larger campaign (I think I voted for both of them, but that doesn't make sense. I had both boxes ticked).

I like the idea of taking a single adventure, setting-free, and really just focusing on what makes the adventure special. You can drop it in any campaign or setting you care to, which gives you flexibility. The adventure "One Crowded Hour" released by Comstar/Avenger is a good example.

I'd also like to see a chain of adventures develop that fits into a larger meta-plot, but again setting free - however, this is far more difficult to do, since meta-plots sort of depends on the setting to a larger extent than a stand alone adventure, which doesn't have to.

Please do not make reference posts about any upcoming material or material already available. Thanks. Keep posts revelant to the topic, please.

A book with some details about several worlds in a cluster including some NPC's and adventure hooks or mini-adventure/ campaign set on those worlds.
What I would like to see the return of grand adventures in the flavour of Knightfall, The Traveller Adventure, Flaming Eye. Traveller seems to have lost its way. Gateway was good in parts.

Notwithstanding, it seems like we are just producing little one off adventures like was the case of the LBB, I want something conveys the wonder and the grandeur of the Traveller Universe be it OTU or something homegrown.

Localism, is fine, but the name of the game is to take us to the Stars and Strange Places, if I want to play countless Earthlike worlds, I could play Firefly. I need to feel something different.

Some of which was hinted at the adventures cited above but we need to go Above and Beyond those into the unchartered, even if it has been highlighted in the OTU through things like Gateway to Destiny. Give me something that I will treasure and take pleasure reading like a work of good fiction as well as a resource for future worlds of my imagination.

How about something like the "Grand tour" that the Travellers Digest did between Issue 1 and 26, detailing a part of the OTU with each. Maybe not on the grand scale and in one book but say the deeds of a free trader (The person, not the ship) in a resonably common sector of the empire.

Adventure 1: Fitting out

The characters got a ship. Now it is time to fit out, hire crew, register the craft and all the other things that need to be done. This is a "Introduce the 3I" scenario that shows us things like Highport/Downport, XT-Line, stiff Bwap Burocrat, smart female Aslan traders and there rather moron male guards etc. Also gives an intro into the trading system for a "use" standpoint (Solomaie Brokers, Virushie Stevedoers, Vilanie customs). Set this one on a TL12+, HighPop port

Adventure 2: Frontier trade

Set this one on a frontier world with a low-grade starport to show the differences. Introduce them to having to haggle and search for cargo on their own, maybe going outside the port. Introduce vehicle tech like G-Rafts and contrast with horse drawn carriages

Adventure 3: Passengers

Passenger handling and skills. Maybe something illegal. Introduce in-space custom inspections and captains duties. Show what a ship in space is like / acts like

And so on. Maybe make this a two volume (30-40 pages each) book/pdf. One with the scenarios and one with player handouts. The handouts are "What does X mean" stuff with some "Starship Operators" style grafics to give impressions.

This is a product aimed at "Introducing Traveller" and should be easily ported to any time/region except HT/TNE without problems.

(Jumps up and down)
Uncle Randy, now that I made a useful comment, may I answer hault-Denger ;)

Arthur, I will open a "What does GURPS give us" threat to answer your comment

Perhaps, then a Grand Tour for minor nobility that would take a journey of a minor noble to get confirmed at a Domain Capital. This would work well with either Gateway or Deneb where the worlds have been detailed the most.

I would personally prefer to see Deneb, as I would like to see PCs roped into the Warrant contraversy and revisiting things like Annic Nova in new ways.

Or maybe, I am getting too much nostalga in my old age when I see all these Ha$bro/Wizard$ products rebooting all their T$R old modules. Or I am thinking how we can accomplish this on the cheap. If money is not an object, then, hell yes, take away to Gateway or somewhere else.

How about a sector book? Maybe featuring an even split of Solomani, Hiver and independent worlds? Somewhere over there on the right of the map, like ... Spica, say ... ;)

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
Nearly setting free adventures are another kettle of fish entirely. Written correctly, you can drop them in anyhwere with a minimum of effort. Just what the busy GM needs for a few sessions.

The old Gamelords' supplement Lee's Guide to Interstellar Adventure was a good example of this. Each adventure was 'set' within a range of UWP factors; i.e. size X to Y, atmo X to Y, etc. Each adventure also listed which worlds in the two published sectors of the time, Marches and Rim, the adventure would 'fit' into with minimal effort.
I'm not denying that setting-free adventures can be useful, but to me they seem a bit hollow.

I like it when it makes a difference if you're on Regina or on Terra. I think it adds verisimilitude to an otherwise bland and unconvincing universe.

Mind you, I've nothing against setting-specific adventures that are crafted so that it's easy to file off the serial numbers and dump them elsewhere. I'm all in favor of that. But I just think that "The Lost Treasure of the Knights Regnant" sounds better than "The Lost Treasure of some old Templar-like organization". And the setting-specific references builds up the universe. Someone else can wirte another adventure where they show up or just alluded to, thus adding veri... oh, I've used that one already. Anyway, the same adventure with generic plot elements doesn't help build up the OTU.

Hans

I agree with Bill Cameron on this: I get far more use out of encounter books like Lee's Guide..., Wanted: Adventurers, 76 Patrons, and the BITS books like 101 Patrons and 101 Cargos than I do "setting-specific" adventures.

I almost never run complex "adventures" per se anyway - I just create situations for the player characters to encounter, and respond to what the players decide to do (or do not).

I steal from adventures. I never use them as-is, but I frequently steal elements, including NPCs for my use. Sometimes I just steal the name of an NPC and nothing else. Really throws off the players, if they still think they can read ahead in a published adventure. That said, I do want more adventures to steal from.

Since I play in my own GURPS:Space non-Traveller universe, I mostly look at the Traveller universe as an inspiring example of how deep a gaming universe can get after almost thirty years of work. Also as a source of theft-worthy ideas

World-building elements from things like First-In, Far Trader and Starports have served my purposes well as has Ground Forces.

I guess what I would most like to see would be GT:pocket Empires.

Back