• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mustering out and muticlassing

Here's the scenario. I've a character who failed a reenlistment as a merc after term 2. He enlisted as a traveller and developed 4 more terms.

Q1. Is there a muster out event when he ends the mercs career?
Q2. Is there a separate muster out when he ends his traveller career?
Q3. Does he first level as a traveller garner the starting and 1st level bonus feats as if he started as a traveller?

Anyone got any worked examples? :confused:

Originally posted by justindurkan:
Here's the scenario. I've a character who failed a reenlistment as a merc after term 2. He enlisted as a traveller and developed 4 more terms.

Q1. Is there a muster out event when he ends the mercs career?
Q2. Is there a separate muster out when he ends his traveller career?
Q3. Does he first level as a traveller garner the starting and 1st level bonus feats as if he started as a traveller?

Anyone got any worked examples? :confused:
As I understand it (hope I'm not all messed up):

when you muster out (begin playing the character) you roll 1 mustering out benefit/term served for everything. So that character of yours would have 2 rolls on the Merc table and 4 on the Traveller table...

Regarding the Feats. From what I gather, there is two things to keep track of: CHARACTER Level and CLASS Level.

Check up the Character level table (just before the class descriptions) and follow the progression of feats/ability increase. You only get a bonus feat for the Character 1st Level if you're Human.

THEN.

Follow up the Class level table as it is appropriate for the character. Multiclassing would get the character the Starting Feats AND the 1st Level Class bonus feat.

That explain why multiclassed characters are Feats-O-Mania Machine.

Note that the BAB/Save Bonuses of the different classes DON'T add up, you only pick the highest ones, so your multiclassed characters isn't a killing machines compared to a 6th level Marines, even if they're both 6th level Characters

Hope it helps, and surely hope I'm not AFU in my understanding

If I'm not very much mistaken, BAB/saves DO add from all the classes. (They do in d20, and I didn't see any rule contradicting that in the T20 book, so the rule holds.) Which is why most of the classes BAB doesn't go up til 2nd or 3rd level. So you have a Rogue2/Navy2 character, their BAB is +1 from Rog2 and +1 from Navy2, for a total of +2. Otherwise Sandman is correct. Now if this guy then picks up 2 levels of Mercenary, he'll have a BAB of 4, not bad for a generalist, but a career merc or marine will still eat him for lunch.

Borodin is right; the BAB and save bonus are indeed cumulative. Furthermore, the multiple attacks progression (2nd attack when BAB reaches +6, third at +11, fourth at +16) still applies to multiclassed characters.

Originally posted by Borodin:
If I'm not very much mistaken, BAB/saves DO add from all the classes. (They do in d20, and I didn't see any rule contradicting that in the T20 book, so the rule holds.) Which is why most of the classes BAB doesn't go up til 2nd or 3rd level.[snip snip]
I hope you're right
Since I don't own any Core Book, I had one for about a week before giving it back to the friend that lent it...

If you're right I'll have to go back and fiddle with my NPCs

Broodin is indeed 100% correct--BAB and saves add up. If you don't have a core rulebook (which you really should in order to understand the basic rules not enumerated in T20), you can access most of the rules through the d20 System SRD at www.wizards.com/d20. I'm also pretty sure that you roll on the mustering out table for each service you serve one or more terms in. So if you served 8 years as a Marine and 4 more as a merchant, you'd roll twice on the Marine table(s) and once on the merchant table(s). The text on page 126 seems to support this.

Originally posted by Kordeth:
Broodin is indeed 100% correct--BAB and saves add up. If you don't have a core rulebook (which you really should in order to understand the basic rules not enumerated in T20), you can access most of the rules through the d20 System SRD at www.wizards.com/d20. I'm also pretty sure that you roll on the mustering out table for each service you serve one or more terms in. So if you served 8 years as a Marine and 4 more as a merchant, you'd roll twice on the Marine table(s) and once on the merchant table(s). The text on page 126 seems to support this.
I've read D20 Modern... just don't own it and don't remember it by heart

As for the mustering out, you're correct. One roll per term, unless you were high ranking officer, where you get bonus rolls

Back