• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Musical inspiration for 2320

TWILIGHT

SOC-12
Following on from another, more literally/visual thread, what music would you play in the background of a 2320AD game?

Here's my suggestions (the ones I already use for 2300AD)

civilian core world

Blade Runner (all versions but especially the esper 2019 edition), The City , Antarctica & Albedo 0.39 by Vangelis ,anything by The Future Sound of London

Deep Space

Event Horizon by Michael Kamen & Orbital , El Greco by Vangelis

Pentapod Enclave

Oceanic by Vangelis (a must!)

The Kafer Front

Medal of Honour pc cd music wav files (really martial), 300 OST by Tyler Bates , Battlestar Galactica OST (new series) by Bear McCreary , Mythodea by Vangelis (I know! a bit too much Vangelis!),etc

Anyone got anymore?

I would highly recommend the Shadowrun CD. Perfect for 2320AD with cyberpunk and futuristic edge. I would also think of French Cafe music for space stations and well as hardcore techno for space bars. Given the overall gloom of the American Arm, maybe, something traditional like bluegrass (or the Firefly CD). Australian folk songs are a dime a dozen but Midnight Oil would make for some interesting outback in encounters in the Dark. For the Chinese Arm, I would use the Serenity soundtrack or something more classical...like Komo drummers from Japan.

The whole dang Event Horizon CD along with with selected Horror electronica (like what my good friend over at the The Unquiet Void has cooked up ) is just crying out for 2320AD alien encounters.

For your general outer space situations you can download (for free) some excellent spacey electronic background stuff by CCP:Jon Hallur from the Eve Online main website. There's about two albums worth there -all good (& did I mention free).

The Wipeout game soundtrack albums are very cyberpunk (more Future Sound of London there)

Tangerine Dream (especially Ricochet), is very Bladerunneresque

I would also recommend for inspiration the digital radio station 'Space station Soma' from Soma FM (these guys also do the excellent 'Secret Agent' station, more James Bond than 2320 but very cool)

for general EPIC space futurism I thoroughly recommend
'Moonraker OST' by John Barry (yes, believe it or not the James Bond movie). Flight into space is AWESOME... go on I dare ya!

The Babylon 5 soundtrack would probably go very well as a background music for climatic space battles...

Do not be prejudiced when I say: Downtempo Techno. Below stuff has nothing to do with the crap that normally goes under the "Techno" label--

Plastikman, Consumed (very quiet and menacing, this should have been the Alien soundtrack)

Porter Ricks, Biokinetics (for deep-sea Pentapod missions)

With you on the downtempo techno Rhialto (We'll be into that for our game on Sunday).

I'm also partial to the BSG soundtrack for action oriented stuff (worked great for my military campaign).

Twilight, as long as you're talking Vangelis, I'm surprised you didn't mention "The Conquest of Paradise" which has the correct vibe for a first scouting mission of a planet or the Kafer War.

Twilight, as long as you're talking Vangelis, I'm surprised you didn't mention "The Conquest of Paradise" which has the correct vibe for a first scouting mission of a planet or the Kafer War.
Yeah I know, but it's a very evocative piece for me and I've used it in my sea-borne RuneQuest camapign. I felt it was a little too bombastic in parts for space. Although it would be perfect for Space:1889! hmmm... (digs out 1889 collection)

I'm partial to "freedom" from the " spirit;stallion of the cimmarron" soundtrack for a spaceplane takeoff and launch

Plastikman, Consumed (very quiet and menacing, this should have been the Alien soundtrack)
Thanks for this Rhialto, I got this after your recommendation (out of curiosity & a moment of madness) & been playing it a hell of a lot, oh yes - it perfectly suits my 2320U.

"Veteran of the Psychic Wars" by Blue Oyster Cult and "Small Victory" by Faith No More for those outtings on the Kafer homeworld by the PCs....

Back