• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

More uses for Azhanti High Lightning

CarlP

SOC-11
Howdy! I wanted to open a discussion I've had on an idea I've been kicking around. I've got a copy of the Azhanti High Lightning deckplans and ... Well, okay. I *had* them. I'm not really sure where they are now.... Anyway, there are a lot of nice deckplans on there that could conceivably be used for other ships. As I recall, the plans would have e.g. a quarters deck, and the booklet said, "Decks 20-24 are quarters." My idea was to work out the tonnage of each of those decks, and use them to assemble another ship from them. I should think that it might be possible to do up quite a few designs. Quarters, hold, and drives, leaving out the weapons, for a liner, for example.

So, has anybody ever thought of doing something like this? Does anybody think this would be a worthy endeavor? Or am I just off in my own little pocket universe again?

Carl

Originally posted by CarlP:
Howdy! I wanted to open a discussion I've had on an idea I've been kicking around. I've got a copy of the Azhanti High Lightning deckplans and ... Well, okay. I *had* them. I'm not really sure where they are now.... Anyway, there are a lot of nice deckplans on there that could conceivably be used for other ships. As I recall, the plans would have e.g. a quarters deck, and the booklet said, "Decks 20-24 are quarters." My idea was to work out the tonnage of each of those decks, and use them to assemble another ship from them. I should think that it might be possible to do up quite a few designs. Quarters, hold, and drives, leaving out the weapons, for a liner, for example.

So, has anybody ever thought of doing something like this? Does anybody think this would be a worthy endeavor? Or am I just off in my own little pocket universe again?

Carl
AHL is just about my favorite thing from my CT days. I kept it when I got rid of just about every other game that I had (including some AD&D stuff that I wish I could E-Bay now).

There are three variants listed in Supplment 5 - Naval Cruiser, Scout Service, and Commercial. There's also the EMISSARY (ex-SPARKLING DISTRESS (FI-6379)), which was sold to Oberlindes Lines, which is a commerical ship that retained it's weaponry.

So, I would say there is some possibilities there.

Check the little red book that came with the game. Supplement 5 - Lightening Class Cruisers.

It seems that when the war ended their were numerous AHL in yards with battle damage and some being built. Some of the new ships got cancelled and some of the damaged ones were decommisioned. It seems that one of the shipyards (Ghassidda ?) was involved in a minor scandal as parts of these ships turned up elsewhere (either in other AHL) or AS OUTPOSTS.

So we can use them as outposts / space habitats etc all over the rim. There is an adventure in Challenge for Imperial Research Station Beta that was actually an AHL with the middle chopped out.

Also remember Adventure 1, they gutted a kinuir and used it as an orbital prison (same plot in andromeda recently). Why not do the same with bits of an AHL.

Cheers
Richard

Originally posted by RichardP:
Check the little red book that came with the game. Supplement 5 - Lightening Class Cruisers.

Man, you've got some GREAT ideas! I'd forgotton all about the prison thing from Adventure 1.

Almost sounds like a BITS supplement "101 Uses for a Used AHL"

hey - what a great idea, i havent thought of that in YEARS!!!!...gotta find my set now.....hhhmmmnn.....already several ideas....thanx
:cool:

I've used the AHL plans for buildings and other ships (with minor modifications) also. They're just a great set of plans to have around.

Ron

you guys really got me thinking....take 6 or 7 deck plans..lay them out on LARGE table...instant City!!!...instant STRIKER CAMPAIGN!!....instant Stalingrad of the future!!!!....use "extra" counters...or make your own!!!...great project!!!.....grav tanks.. jump infantry...drop troops....wow use All the plans to make a GIANT city....really got me goin...maybe to much coffe juice... :D
:cool:

I turned one into a research facility.

seems to me a big-mean-looking capitol ship is just the thing to keep nosey types away...(ofcourse It ATTRACK's PC's types like a magnet, which was the idea..)

the looks on the pc's faces when they came out of jump and found themselves stairing down that spinal mount in a 100t scout was priceless...

file_23.gif

It seems that when the war ended their were numerous AHL in yards with battle damage and some being built. Some of the new ships got cancelled and some of the damaged ones were decommisioned. It seems that one of the shipyards (Ghassidda ?) was involved in a minor scandal as parts of these ships turned up elsewhere (either in other AHL) or AS OUTPOSTS.

So we can use them as outposts / space habitats etc all over the rim. There is an adventure in Challenge for Imperial Research Station Beta that was actually an AHL with the middle chopped out.

Also remember Adventure 1, they gutted a kinuir and used it as an orbital prison (same plot in andromeda recently). Why not do the same with bits of an AHL.

Cheers
Richard
-------------------------------------------------
That booklet has all the names of her class as well.
The MT module Arrival vengeance stressed at least 4 were at the Imp Navy depot of Trin/SM. The Pc's hijack AV and take her out on thier mission.

4 ships of her class (a cruron) were known to be in Lucan's Inventory (mentioned in passing somewheres,IIRC). IMTU, these were the Vermillion, Brilliant, Azure, and Radiant Lightnings.( and later became vampire ships).

One can also (if in a regency/Domain of Deneb campaign) use these used as part of the Aslan-Imperial border patrol.

For the Reft sector, to set up the "calibration points", they could be used as huge fuel tenders to refuel/ restock these bases/ fuel dumps for the J-6 VJ-class cruisers. With the shortage of vessels the Domain had at the time of the Virus, they would have been reactivated, I feel sure to paramiliatry use and quarantine patrol work.

RichardP is correct about the hulls from the war. Many were sold off to TL-14 planetary navies, or used as orbital bases, else wheres, and their Jay drives removed for spares once installed insystem.

Oberlindes has their version, with all its weapons
on the caveat they do not operate her in the marches, but from her frontier, into Vanguard/ Trojan Reaches Sectors.

IISS has the ISSBard Refuge, as a Scout cruiser. Given the loyalties of the Final war, was most likely utilized by strephon's Faction (imho).

Originally posted by Ron Vutpakdi:
I've used the AHL plans for buildings and other ships (with minor modifications) also. They're just a great set of plans to have around.

Ron

Re the AHL,

The scouts had 5 old fleet intruder versions (with some of the bays swapped). 1 was lost to a zho plot, two more were used as long range explorers (may still be out their). Given the borders of the Imperium, the only free borders are via the Marches or possibly in the client states between the hive / 2000 worlds / 3I.

The other two ships were used as high speed couriers between Terra and the capital and were used to ship the emporers wine (from those elist vineyards on Terra - cant spell the name of the wine)

5 old AHLs were gutted into cargo ships and may still have been operating during the rebellion, but may have been co-opted and re-armed by faction fleets.

As for other uses of the deckplans. I used the power plant levels as Power 1, the imperial fusion reactor in Double Adventure 6: Horde / Chamax Plague. The spinal gun levels could be used for deep meson sites (coupled with a quaters level and a bridge). Use a bridge, some quarters and the flight deck area for a planetary defence fighter base.

Cheers
Richard

Originally posted by Ron Vutpakdi:

Ron
i've been looking around for any computerized versions (scanned in), or actual hardcopies of them and have had no luck...

does anyone have a copy of them i could get?

Re the AHL,

The other two ships were used as high speed couriers between Terra and the capital and were used to ship the emporers wine (from those elist vineyards on Terra - cant spell the name of the wine)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Tokaj, was the name of Strephon's Wine. IIRC, a shipment was stolen once upon a time..possible adventure there!

Originally posted by scantrontb:
i've been looking around for any computerized versions (scanned in), or actual hardcopies of them and have had no luck...

does anyone have a copy of them i could get?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I could scan them in for you, or xerox and mail to you. Which do you prefer?

heretically yours,

Liam,

The adventure with the stolen wine is actual in the azhanti high lightening rulebook (the otherone, not supplement 5). It has has the battle of Kahgastan 2 in the solomani rim war, a sneak attack by the zho on an imperial explorer, and the episode where vargr pirates try to steal the oberlindes ship "Emissary"

Cheers
Richard

Thanks richardP! I have the one with the 92+ names, their fates, & deck plans. Guess thats Supplemnt 5? Hmmm. A new gap in the collection!

Need Help with counters

In my youth, I failed to pick up AHL in the box. I've purchased purchased "The Golded Age - Classic Traveller On CD-ROM" from FFE, which includes a pdf version of the game.
When I print the physical components of the game, the counters are less than satisfactory, especially Zhodani and Vargr.
Is anyone able/willing to provide high definition scans of the counters. I only need samples of the unique silhouettes, I can read the number/letters well enough.

Tom

I would be inclined to resuse some of the deck plans as 'not being ship at all'. The hollowed out usable portion of a small asteroid or redefining some of those bay levels as 'really big industry/science/smelting' facilities, or vertical starport buildings/orbital facilities. They are very modular.

Redefine the spinal weapon as a very large transport tube or an energy feed to Big Science. This isn't hard.

And they are pretty.

Back