• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Marc is selling an awful lot of art lately...

kafka47

SOC-14 5K
Marquis
Noticing that Marc (Onlooker1) on eBay is selling a lot of Traveller stuff especially artwork.

It is a wonder that he did not offer these for T20 or incorporate these into T5. Just as the original T20 had things from previous versions of Traveller.

Does anyone know why he is doing this? I still never got the reply to the email...although, thanks to Hunter who actually did obtain an answer.

Perhaps, the Greatest of the Old Ones wants to sail beyond the Rim and into the deep waters of the Western Sea. Or maybe Far Future is gearing up for something really big. The electronic reprints offer promise of bringing back a canon of sorts and allows newbies to see the glory that was. But, I am a traditionalist who likes paper...

He's selling the original artwork. Doesn't mean he didn't scan them first and save them to use later if he wants. ;)

Hunter

Hunter, pray tell, he did not happen to share some of this artwork with you. Some of the artwork is universal such as the bridge or starship renderings.

I'm sure all I would have to do is ask Marc. I've considered using some of the old stuff before and asked him about it. At the time he didn't have a problem with me doing it, I just ended up not.

Something I will keep in mind though on future work.

Hunter

He's been selling off stuff for the past six months or so...Could be he is just cleaning out the endless boxes of stuff...
All I know is that I got my print several moons ago - W.Kieth drawing of space combat...I got it in a custom frame right over my Desk... :D
The prices have gone up considerably recently (as more Trav people find the auctions?) The last ones I bid on was the March Harrier pics, but I think they went for $50 or so...

The things to watch out for are the Traveller Dice...
-MADDog

Originally posted by MADDog:

-MADDog
I got some a few months back.

I had a set I bought back in the late 1980s or early 1990s, but the sunburst and numerals wore off from use. I'm glad I was able to get some replacements, which I WILL NOT be using to game.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a couple of sets of Traveller dice...Hunter would you consider doing a small run some time...this is a cheapy, gimmicky thing that I like or like Paper Imperial Credits...for a small sum like $5.00, I could easily support these products.

I just wonder why Marc does not put together a Best of Traveller Art book. The artwork of D&D, Dragon, etc did sell very well in Canada and the last that I looked at eBay...I saw they were going for market prices or higher (>=$20.00).

Originally posted by MADDog:
He's been selling off stuff for the past six months or so...Could be he is just cleaning out the endless boxes of stuff...

-MADDog
I agree with the Mad Dog, on both counts. I imagine he's got boxes of stuff, and if there's a market, well he can finance his printing business while he cleans house.

And it would be nice to buy some sort of Traveller dice... maybe T-dice whose pips won't wear off?

Originally posted by robject:
And it would be nice to buy some sort of Traveller dice... maybe T-dice whose pips won't wear off?
Lou Zachii still had some of the originals last time I saw him. If you are going to one of the large US conventions this summer look to see if he is there.

from kafka47:
Perhaps, the Greatest of the Old Ones wants to sail beyond the Rim and into the deep waters of the Western Sea. Or maybe Far Future is gearing up for something really big.
A. Going beyond the Rim...
B. Gearing up for T5!
C. Could just be a late start on spring cleaning.
D. Other?

Who knows. Figuring out what the ancients are up to is alot like Kremlinology.

Millerology? Averyology? :D
file_22.gif

Hunter,

If you ever do a Classic Era (i.e. SM or SR set in ~1105) supplement, *please* recycle art. It would help with the nostalgia such a product is sure to evoke.

Originally posted by plop101:
from kafka47:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Perhaps, the Greatest of the Old Ones wants to sail beyond the Rim and into the deep waters of the Western Sea. Or maybe Far Future is gearing up for something really big.
A. Going beyond the Rim...
B. Gearing up for T5!
C. Could just be a late start on spring cleaning.
D. Other?

</font>[/QUOTE]I say C. Did you notice all the shoes he's selling on eBay, too?

Originally posted by plop101:
Who knows. Figuring out what the ancients are up to is alot like Kremlinology.

Millerology? Averyology? :D
file_22.gif
'In his house on the island of Albion, M'Jd* waits dreaming...'

Best not to speculate too much on the murmurings of the Ancients. ^_^

<Banaaradaaguu>
There is no Beree.
Ignore the three-lobed burning eye-
<Banaaradaaguu>

Casey

* some prehistoric being worshiped both by proto-Sumerians *and* several Chirper tribes

Rumor from my FLGS. I ordered the third book of the JTAS reprints and he got an email back saying it would be released in July. He also said something about retailers getting a deal or promo pack for selling Traveller at the same time (or I'm hallucinating from a very long day at work.) It would be interesting to see the rest of the reprints out.

Now if they could use a few of us masochists to reorganize the Classic series and get all the information in one place.

For What It's Worth,
Lord Iron Wolf

Originally posted by Lord Iron Wolf:
Rumor from my FLGS. I ordered the third book of the JTAS reprints and he got an email back saying it would be released in July.
From this news article: "The next Classic Traveller reprint will be JTAS 3, and will be out by the end of June."

Given allowance for stuff to happen, shipping times, distribution, July sounds right. Some sort of way to make Traveller more enticing to FLGS could be helpful. Finally, a reorganized CT folding all the newer skills and alien chargen into one book is what I wanted the still excellent Traveller Book to be. And no that's not quite the same thing as the MT boxed set.

Casey

Back