• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Making Character Stats Understandable

Chuck Anumia

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
OK...you have a Character with strength 5. What does this really mean?

Strength
1=Able to lift 1 Kilo in one hand 5 times?
2=Able to lift 1 Kilo in one hand 10 times?
3=Able to lift 1 kilo in one hand 20 times?
4=Able to lift 2 kilo in one hand 5 times?
5=Able to lift 2 kilo in one hand 10 times?
6=Able to lift 2 kilo in one hand 15 times?
7=Able to lift 2 kilo in one hand 20 times?
8=Able to lift 3 kilo in one hand 5 times?
9=Able to lift 3 kilo in one hand 10 times?
10=Able to lift 4 kilo in one hand 5 times?
11=Able to lift 4 kilo in one hand 10 times?
12=Able to lift 5 kilo in one hand 5 times?

How about Endurance?

1=Able to walk/swimm 1/2 kilometer without taking a break?
2=Able to walk/swimm 1 kilometer without taking a break?

How about Intelligence?

1=Able to breath and eat without mechanical assistance?

I could use this chart for helping my players understand themselves and those they meet.

Thanks for your help in filling in the blanks. :D

Good Info but it does not give the numeric definitions I am looking for. I would like something like the chart I started. Something specific about what the characters can do with the stats they have.

Thanks very much. ;)

Here is another post of what I am looking for.
I would like other people to give me their take on this.
Thanks in advance for your help

Dexterity
1=Extremely Clumsy/ Drops things carried 9 out of 12 times.
2=Very Clumsy/ Drops things carried 7 out of 10 times.
3=Clumsy/ Drops things carried ½ of the time.
4=Unhandy/ Takes twice as long to complete projects, Drops tools while working on a project 3 times out of 10.
5=Below Average/, Takes one third longer to complete projects, drops tools 1 time in 10.
6=Average/ No penalty, may drop tools 3 times in 100.
7=Average/ No penalty, may drop tools 1 time in 100.
8=Average/ No penalty, May drop tools 3 times in 1000.
9=Above Average/ Able to perform projects in half normal time, catches dropped items 7 times in 10
A=Adroit / Able to perform projects in half normal time, catches dropped items 9 times in 10
B=Dexterous/ Able to perform projects in 1/3 normal time, catches dropped items 45 out of 50 times.
C=Very Dexterous/ Able to perform projects in 1/3 normal time, catches dropped items 65 out of 70 times.
D=Remarkable/ Able to perform projects in 1/5th normal time, catches dropped items 95 out of 100 times.
E=Extraordinary/ Able to perform projects in 1/5th normal time, catches dropped items 99 out of 100 times.
F=Superhuman/ Able to perform projects in 1/10th normal time, always catches dropped items.

Endurance
1=Very Poor Stamina/ Able to walk ½ kilometer with taking a break.
2=Poor Stamina/ Able to walk ¾ kilometer with taking a break.
3=Very Easily Fatigued/ Able to walk 1 kilometer with taking a break.
4=Easily fatigued/ Able to walk /swim ½ kilometer without taking a break.
5=Below Average/ Able to walk/swim 1 kilometer without taking a break.
6=Average/ No penalty, Able to walk /swim 2 kilometers without taking a break.
7=Average/ No penalty, Able to Run /swim 3 kilometers without taking a break.
8=Average/ No penalty, Able to Run /swim 5 kilometers without taking a break.
9=Above Average/ Able to Run /swim 7 kilometers without taking a break.
A=Above Average/ Able to Run /swim 10 kilometers without taking a break.
B=Great Stamina/ Able to Run /swim 12 kilometers without taking a break.
C=Very Great Stamina/ Able to Run /swim 15 kilometers without taking a break.
D=Remarkable Stamina/ Able to Run /swim 20 kilometers without taking a break.
E=Extraordinary Stamina/ Able to Run /swim 25 kilometers without taking a break.
F=Superhuman Stamina/ Able to Run /swim 30 kilometers without taking a break.

Intelligence
1=Very Low/ Able to solve simple puzzles (less than 10 pieces) in twice normal time.
2=Very Low/ Able to solve simple puzzles (less than 20 pieces) in twice normal time.
3=Very Low/ Able to solve simple puzzles (less than 50 pieces) in twice normal time.
4=Low/ Able to solve simple puzzles (less than 10 pieces) in normal amount of time.
5=Below Average/ Able to solve puzzles (less than 50 pieces) in normal amount of time.
6=Average/ Able to solve puzzles (less than 500 pieces) in normal amount of time.
7=Average/ Able to solve puzzles (less than 1,000 pieces) in normal amount of time.
8=Average/ Able to solve puzzles (less than 1,000 pieces) in ½ normal time.
9=Above Average/ Able to solve puzzles (less than 1,500 pieces) in ½ normal time.
A=Superior/ Able to solve puzzles (less than 2,000 pieces) in ½ normal time.
B=Gifted/ Able to solve puzzles (more than 2,500 pieces) in ½ normal time.
C=Very Gifted/ Able to solve puzzles (more than 2,500 pieces) in 1/3rd normal time.
D=Genius/ Able to solve puzzles (more than 5,000 pieces) in 1/5th normal time.
E=Extraordinary/ Able to solve puzzles (more than 10,000 pieces) in 1/5th normal time.
F=Superhuman/ Able to solve puzzles (more than 10,000 pieces) in 1/10th normal time.

Education
1=Illiterate/ Can recognize letters but not words.
2=Basic Reading/ Can read words less than 7 letters long.
3=Grade School/ Passed 6th Grade, Can read books and dictionaries but chooses not to.
4=Education Certificate/ Passed Middle School and GED (General Education Degree) Requirements.
5=High School/ Has High School Diploma, Can read at College level but chooses not to.
6=Associates Degree/ Has completed 2 years of College, Can continue but chooses not to.
7=Bachelors Degree/ Has completed 4 years of College, Can continue but chooses not to.
8=Masters Degree/ Has completed Masters Thesis, can continue but chooses not to.
9=Advanced work/ Has worked on a specialty area and written a paper that was published on it.
A=Doctorate/ Has completed Post Graduate Degree, published a paper or book on more than 1 topic.
B=Independent Research/ Has completed 2nd Masters Degree Program on a different subject than first.
C=Independent Research/ Has completed 3rd Masters Degree Program on a different subject than first.
D= Independent Research/ Has completed 2nd Doctorate Degree Program on a different subject than first.
E= Independent Research/ Has completed 3rd Doctorate Degree Program on a different subject than others.
F= Independent Research/ Has Written 3 books on 3 separate subjects he has Degrees in.

Social Standing
1=Homeless/ living under radar or where he is not seen, hermit.
2=Dregs of Society/ Living in Extreme poverty, cardboard condo, often going hungry.
3=Lower Low Class/ Living in poverty, Tenement condo, going hungry once a week.
4=Middle Low Class/ Living in poverty, Tenement condo, not going hungry, working poor.
5=Upper Low Class/ Living next to poverty Tenements, able to give food to hungry, working poor.
6=Lower Middle Class/ Living in Single Family dwelling, able to afford vacations and self retirement fund.
7=Middle Class/ Living in Single Family dwelling (1,200 Sq Ft.), able to afford nice vacations and retirement fund, able to provide some college education for children.
8=Upper Middle Class/ Living in nice Single Family dwelling (2,000 Sq Ft.), able to afford nice vacations and large retirement fund, able to provide College education for children.
9=Lower Upper Class/ Living in very nice Single Family dwelling (3,000+ Sq Ft.), able to afford nice vacations and large retirement fund, able to provide College education for children, 1 servant.
A=(Knight) Middle Upper Class/ Living in extremely nice Single Family dwelling (3,000+ Sq Ft), able to afford nice vacations and large retirement fund, able to provide Private College education for children, 2 servants.
B=(Baron) Upper Upper Class/ owns 2 extremely nice Single Family dwelling (4,000+ Sq Ft.), able to afford Very nice long vacations and large retirement fund and a fund for his children, able to provide Private College education for children, several servants.
C=(Marquis) Remarkable/ owns several extremely nice Single Family dwellings (4,000+ Sq Ft.), able to afford Very nice long vacations and large retirement fund for his children, able to provide Private College education for children, more than 5 servants.
D=(Count) Extraordinary/ owns several extremely nice Single Family dwellings (4,000+ Sq Ft.), able to afford Very nice long vacations and large retirement fund for his children, able to provide Private College education for children, more than 10 servants.
E=(Duke) Extreme/ owns several extremely nice Single Family dwellings (4,000+ Sq Ft.) on more than 1 world, able to afford Very nice long vacations and large retirement fund for his children, able to provide Private College education for children, more than 20 servants.
F=(Archduke) Very Extreme/ owns several extremely nice Single Family dwellings (4,000+ Sq Ft.) on more than 4 worlds, able to afford Very nice long vacations and large retirement fund for his children, able to provide Private College education for children, many dozens of servants.

;)

The Border Reiver appears to be upp FB7487. This is based on on the above charts. Intelligence is strangely low considering I am a Mensa member who regularly scores 160+ on IQ tests but I just hate jigsaw puzzles and cannot do them. Strenght is based on a recent Scottish Ambulance Service fitness test which involved carrying two 15 kg weights while stepping upon a 30cm block for five minutes (there was a lot more to this test this was just the heaviest weight carried). I bumped my education as I have 2 separate Bachelors degrees and never completed my masters..(the army reminded me that I owed them sevice for paying for my education) and my Social Standing is just boasting. Now to work out my skills. :rofl:

Sounds better to me. Although more and more people are attending further education the vast majority of this planet barely manage literacy let alone high school diploma equivalency. And without introducing politics into the equation some nations have a very strange notion as to what literacy is. One G8 nation determines that a member of its population is literate if it can write a single sentence including that persons name and read a short paragraph aloud.
Personally I feel that education values vary around the world, when a Bachelor's Degree in Beauty Therapy is available my degree in Clinical Physiology seems devalued.

Various scribblings from the T5 playtest draft:

Strength

Strength is the ability to apply physical force. Loads with Strength are calculated in kilograms.

1 x Str = Can be carried all day.
2 x Str = Can be carried until collapse. This is Double Burden.
3 x Str = Can be carried until collapse. This is Triple Burden.
5 x Str= Load which may be carried for under 7 (or End x) minutes no more than once per hour.
10 x Str = Load lifted (not carried) for under one minute.
15 x Str = Load dragged for under 7 (or End x) minutes.

Double Burden. When carrying a 2x load, reduce Strength, Dexterity, and Endurance by -1 until half an hour after the load is shed.

Triple Burden. When carrying a 3x load, reduce Strength, Dexterity, and Endurance by -2 each until half an hour after the load is shed.

Burden Modifiers. Some pieces of equipment (and some weapons) have burden modifiers.

Gravity Effects
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Size G Multiplier Comment
0 0.01 10.0 micro
1 0.12 8.0
2 0.25 4.0
3 0.37 2.7
4 0.50 2.0 half-G
5 0.62 1.6
6 0.75 1.3
7 0.87 1.1
8 1.00 1.0 standard
9 1.12 0.9
10 1.25 0.8
11 1.37 0.7
12 1.50 0.6</pre>[/QUOTE]A Str 6 person on a Size 3 world can carry a load (2.7 x 6) of 16 kg. Strength is defined in terms of 1G (which is standard for a size 8 world).

Endurance

Endurance is a measure of personal determination and physical stamina.

BASIC ENDURANCE
1 x End +9 = Number of waking hours until fatigue begins.
(1 x End +9) + End = Number of waking hours until collapse (Endurance becomes 0).

A character with End 7 typically starts feeling tired after 16 hours, and collapses from fatigue after 24 hours.

A low endurance person should consider naps during the day.

FATIGUE

A character is fatigued after 9 plus 1 x End waking hours. Once fatigued, -1 from End after each hour.
Collapse: If End reaches 0, character collapses and must sleep.

Rest. Undertaking no tasks (catnapping) in a 2 hour period halts loss of End and regains 1 point. One to 3 hours sleep returns End to one-half normal, but fatigue restarts immediately. Four to 7 hours sleep resets the fatigue clock to normal.

From Non-Human Characteristics:

Instinct

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE

A character with Instinct can still acquire the equivalent of some basic education and training in the course of life. When an Education value is
required, use Int/2 (round fractions up). Refer to the Education characteristic values for benchmarks concerning ability (literacy, basic facts, and such).

When Education is Required.

Tasks normally requiring Edu use Int/2 (half Intelligence; round fractions up) instead. All default skills resolve tasks using full characteristic (rather than half).

WHEN TO USE INSTINCT

Instinct is the natural or genetic ability to respond to situations. Instinct allows a character to respond to situations automatically without conscious thought. Instinctual reaction in intelligent beings includes the ability to react to technological or social challenges.

Reactions. When a character is first confronted with a task which requires Int or Edu, he (or she or it) may attempt to react instinctually. Roll Ins or less: if successful, the task is accomplished. If the Ins roll fails, the character may not roll using Ins again.

Instinctual Prohibitions: A character cannot roll a task if it cannot be successful. Some characters are moved to try in the hopes that they will have Spectacular Success even though an ordinary success is not possible (and this is not permitted).

Revised Strength Stats
Strength
1=Able to Carry 1 Kilo All Day without rest
2=Able to Carry 2 Kilos All Day without rest
3=Able to Carry 3 kilos All Day without rest
4=Able to Carry 4 kilos All Day without rest
5=Able to Carry 5 kilos All Day without rest
6=Able to Carry 6 kilos All Day without rest
7=Able to Carry 7 kilos All Day without rest
8=Able to Carry 8 kilos All Day without rest
9=Able to Carry 9 kilos All Day without rest
A=Able to Carry 10 kilos All Day without rest
B=Able to Carry 11 kilos All Day without rest
C=Able to Carry 12 kilos All Day without rest
D=Able to Carry 13 kilos All Day without rest
E=Able to Carry 14 kilos All Day without rest
F=Able to Carry 15 kilos All Day without rest

Perhaps more accurately,

Strength N = Able to carry N kilograms all day without penalties.

------------

To help the players figure out what the stats might mean, give them The Test (p38 of the T5 chargen playtest):

STRENGTH
Subject holds an 8-pound weight (a gallon jug of water weighs about 8 pounds) in one hand with the arm extended fully, and parallel to the floor.
Score on the Time Elapsed Table.

DEXTERITY

Tester holds a 12 inch ruler 2 - 3 inches above subjects thumb and forefinger. Drop the ruler three times: discard high and low readings. Dexterity is reading in inches minus 15.

ENDURANCE

Subject holds his or her breath. Score on the Time Elapsed Table.

TIME ELAPSED TABLE
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Time Elapsed Score
to 1 second 2
to 5 seconds 3
15 seconds 4
30 seconds 5
45 seconds 6
60 seconds 7
75 seconds 8
90 seconds 9
2 minutes 10
3 minutes 11
4 minutes 12
5 minutes 13
6 minutes 14
7 minutes 15</pre>[/QUOTE]Strength/Endurance Bonus: If the player takes the tests for Strength and Endurance simultaneously (holding breath while lifting the weight) allow a
+1 to both Strength and Endurance.

INTELLIGENCE

Intelligence includes sharpness and perceptivity (not necessarily knowing many facts; which is closer to Education).

Subject’s Intelligence level begins at 3, plus points from correct answers to the following questions (answers on page XX).

1. What is 2+2?
2. What is the title of this book?
3. What is the largest number you can make with three digits?
4. Complete the following series: O T T F F S S E?
Alternative: T F S S M T
Alternative: O B A F G K
5. What is your favorite game?
6. Who is your favorite Traveller game master?

SOCIAL STATUS

Indicate level of household income.
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Annual Household Income Score
Below $1,000 1
$1,000 to $5,000 2
$5,000 to $10,000 3
$10,000 to $15,000 4
$15,000 to $20,000 5
$20,000 to $30,000 6
$30,000 to $50,000 7
$50,000 to $75,000 8
$75,000 to $100,000 9
$100,000 to $500,000 10
$500,000 11</pre>[/QUOTE]Do you have any currently famous relative (in politics, TV/movies, in the news, etc.)? Yes +1

Have you ever been…
On television or in a movie? +1
Honored nationally +1
Do you play Traveller? Yes +1

EDUCATION

Note the highest level of education completed.
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Level Score
No Schooling 0
Preschool 1
Elementary School (Grade 6) 2
Junior High (Grade 8) 3
High School/GED certification 4
High School Graduate (Grade 12) 5
Some College 6
College Graduate 7
Master Degree 8
Ph.D. 10</pre>[/QUOTE]Graduated with Honors (HS) +1
Graduated with Honors (College) +2
Average pages read in a month (fiction, non-fiction, classic literature, magazine, etc.)
500-1,000 +1
1,000+ +2
Just (or mostly) comic books - 1
Just (or mostly) National Inquirer - 1

Do you/Have you read...
Newspaper everyday, or +1
Encyclopedia beginning to end +1
Traveller, any edition, start to end+1

PSIONICS

Tester flips a coin 15 times and records the number of correct guesses by the subject. Psi is number of correct guesses (0 to 15).

robject, I will have to bookmark this thread, just because of your post!
(Although, I agree with Border Reiver concerning degrees. In your post, I would apply a + modifier for each degree that was highly technical (+2 for a degree in jump physics), and a - modifier for English, Gender Studies, Basketweaving, etc.)
(Also, shouldn't that Dexterity reading be 15-inches? Otherwise you are going to get a lot of negative Dexterities!)

The 2d6 "curve" isn't very steep. A 12 is only the top 2.78%, which would barely be a qualifier for a pro athelete.

For the "perform projects" category small reductions in time are significant. Very few significant tasks can be hastened so much. Training is often more important than raw ability, so for high skill tasks use sqrt(reduced fraction). Dropping tools for Dex 9 and above is 30-Dex out of 10,000. Catching fumbled tools should be trickier.

9 = Above Average / perform projects in nine tenths normal time, catches dropped items 1 time in 10
A = Adroit / perform projects in eight tenths normal time, catches dropped items 2 times in 10
B = Dexterous/ perform projects in seven tenths normal time, catches dropped items 3 times in 10
C = Very Dexterous / perform projects in six tenths normal time, catches dropped items 4 times in 10
D = Remarkable / perform projects in half normal time, catches dropped items 5 times in 10
E = Extraordinary / perform projects in four tenths normal time, catches dropped items 6 times in 10
F = Superhuman / perform projects in three tenths normal time, catches dropped items 7 times in 10

Originally posted by robject:
Various scribblings from the T5 playtest draft:

Endurance

Endurance is a measure of personal determination and physical stamina.

BASIC ENDURANCE
1 x End +9 = Number of waking hours until fatigue begins.
(1 x End +9) + End = Number of waking hours until collapse (Endurance becomes 0).

A character with End 7 typically starts feeling tired after 16 hours, and collapses from fatigue after 24 hours.

A low endurance person should consider naps during the day.

FATIGUE

A character is fatigued after 9 plus 1 x End waking hours. Once fatigued, -1 from End after each hour.
Collapse: If End reaches 0, character collapses and must sleep.

Rest. Undertaking no tasks (catnapping) in a 2 hour period halts loss of End and regains 1 point. One to 3 hours sleep returns End to one-half normal, but fatigue restarts immediately. Four to 7 hours sleep resets the fatigue clock to normal.

not so sure about this. I once forgot to eat, drink or sleep for 36 hours while playing Civilisation. And I once took part in an art project where I stayed up for 60+ hours, which involved lots of running about and technical problem solving and performing, culminating in several beers down the pub (then falling asleep still fully dressed on my bed). And nothing stronger than coffee. And, btw, I'd put my END at 5 or 6, considering I'm still smoking and not been properly exercising.

Maybe in T20 that would be some kind of feat, say Night Owl. Not sure about CT et al.

Concerning Education, keep in mind that 7 is the avarage value possesed by aq 18-years old character; it should be high-school equivalent, not college equivalent. So college/BA would be 9, MA would be 10, Doctorate would be 11-12 and anything more would be post-doctorate equivalent.

I believe you are right. Lets try education this way then. I believe that people will be more educated sooner than they are now and this is reflected in the level 6 highschool education.

Education
1=Illiterate/ Can recognize letters but not words.

2=Basic Reading/ Can read words less than 7 letters long.

3=Grade School/ Passed 3rd Grade, Can read short books with small words.

4=Grade School/Passed 6th Grade,able to read books and dictionaries but chooses not to.

5=Education Certificate/ Passed Middle School and GED (General Education Degree) Requirements.

6=High School/ Has High School Diploma, Can read at College level but chooses not to.

7=Associates Degree/ Has completed 2 years of College, Can continue but chooses not to.

8=Bachelors Degree/ Has completed 4 years of College, Can continue but chooses not to.

9=Masters Degree/ Has completed Masters Thesis, can continue but chooses not to.

A=Advanced work/ Has worked on a specialty area and written a paper that was published on it.

B=Doctorate/ Has completed Post Graduate Degree, published a paper or book on more than 1 topic.

C=Independent Research/ Has completed 2nd Masters Degree Program on a different subject than first.

D= Independent Research/ Has completed 3rd Masters Degree Program on a different subject than first.

E= Independent Research/ Has completed 2nd Doctorate Degree Program on a different subject than first.

F= Independent Research/ Has completed 3rd Doctorate Degree Program on a different subject than others and written and published 3 books.

My suggestion for strength is that the strength number is the square root of what You can lift on straight arms over Your head. (I.e. strength 7 can lift 49 kg.)

My suggestion for intelligence is that the intelligence number is the IQ divided by 15. (I.e. intelligence 7 has an IQ of 105.)

For education, I don't agree. The "C" level should be something that is possible to achieve by an 18 year old person (when he is 18)! That is also something that should also be possible for 1 kid in 36. I think You should weigh in the reputation/quality of the school, and the school level should never be much more than high school. For further education there are colleges in book 4-7.

Back