• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Looking for a game: Chicago, IL

I'm down by Kankakee, but no one around here plays Traveller. D&D and Star Wars is all. It's been years since I've gotten to play. Games Plus is a game store out in Des Plaines that might have someone that plays Traveller. I know they have a really good auction once or twice a year if you are looking to pick something up.

Dameon

I would be open for a one shot adventure or a monthly thing. Once the holidays are over we should get something put together. In January weekends and evenings (except Thursday) will work most times.

As for books 1-3 is typically all I use. Sometimes 8 for robots but my TU is a homebrew Proto-Traveller kind of place.

I am in DuPage County north of you on I-355 and make the occasional trip to Bloomington/Normal to go to ISU.

Good lord just one Traveller player in all of the mighty Metropolis of Kankakee?

If you can scare up even one or two others willing to give it a try we can attempt to make some converts. :cool:

I'll play, except I have a transportation problem... I keep Googling for the high-speed maglev rail network from Dallas to Chicago, but it doesn't show up! I don't understand why this world doesn't have a high-speed maglev; it seems like most TL8 worlds do...

You forget, we're still only a TL 6-7 culture. Not only are we conservative about building and replacing, but we don't even have a cure for the disease of sniffling and coughing! (Those are social diseases, folks.)

Dangit! I keep forgetting. Ach. Shouldn't've let the gummamint stop our supercollider program...

Robject, I have a solution.

TL-7 is not a problem. Starsem might be willing to sell you a Soyuz booster. You have a space center close by don’t you? Just splash down in Lake Michigan and we will pick you up! The return trip will take some doing but I think we can work something out.

Maglev, pish I would settle for some secondhand TL-7 TGV units around here. Chicago has a HUGE railroad infrastructure set up but it is aging and built to serve the city. Don’t get me wrong Metra is huge and actually runs on time (unlike Amtrak) but it only serves the city and burbs.

I'm in Champaign, so if you guys set up something on a weekend or during the week within an hours drive (Bloomington-Normal or Kankakee), I'd be up for it. No need for Maglev, I've got a TL7 ground car handy.

Oooooo the plot thickens like Vilani beer.
Kankakee is within striking distance.
Will referee or play. CT is system/setting of choice but will engage in heresy if necessary. What are the best days and times?

Well, I am leaving for AZ until after the holidays. After that I am somewhat open, but I don't have all the details on my schedual for next semester worked out. Weekends are better for me than weeknights.

I'd be happy to GM or play as well, and I'm all for CT/CT plus. I have my own CTR, which I was working on a couple of years ago to get all of the CT rules harmonized in place, but that needs some updating based on the discussions going on in the forums here lately (I really like some of the stuff that has come out of those debates.)

I played more The Traveller Book than anything. Subtle differences, but close enough. Actually, I'm in Wilmington (a little northwest of Kankakee) - mostly cornfields. I'm up for a sunday. Trying to do anything else with my schedule probably wouldn't work.

Booster, eh? Makes me a Darwin Award entrant, doesn't it? Count me in!

Yeah, we're getting a spaceport soon, in Pecos county (I think that's where the Amazon.com guy wants to build it). That's only 6 hours away... (I might be better off driving to Michigan in the first place...).

If we had better teleconferencing tools, I'd internet in...

Sunday sounds good. Homebrew rules have never been a problem. Who would like to ref?
[edit] Wilmington is easy to get to right off I55

So Wilmington is sort of between Bloomington and Chicago? It's a suburb, isn't it?

Mmmm, Wilmington is only 865 miles from McKinney, Texas. A decent maglev would take less than 2 hours to travel that distance. Sigh!

By robject
Mmmm, Wilmington is only 865 miles from McKinney, Texas. A decent maglev would take less than 2 hours to travel that distance. Sigh!
Sorry bout the Maglev. :(
I dream one day be able to hold an international Traveller convention in Bloomington. Over the summer we would rent out the Bone Center at ISU and place the tens of thousands of participants in the dorms and at local hotels. The Lincoln Union Maglev Station could bring in some with the new Bloomington/Normal International Airport as an access point for the rest.

I see a giant FFW game with one commander per-ship over the university computer system.

Marc would come to sign autographs and all version of Traveller would be welcome even T4.
We could have seminars on FFS and a High Guard tournament. :cool:

Got to turn up the O2. I am starting to hallucinate.

Originally posted by robject:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ranger:
Well, I am leaving for AZ until after the holidays.
AZ? Phoenix? Tucson? Sedona? Buckeye? </font>[/QUOTE]Tucson, Green Valley actually. My parents are doing the retired to the sun belt thing.

Originally posted by Kurega Gikur:
Sunday sounds good. Homebrew rules have never been a problem. Who would like to ref?
[edit] Wilmington is easy to get to right off I55
I'll ref. I actually enjoy GM more than playing. I even have some stuff done up for the Jewell Cluster, and it would be great to actually use it!

Sounds good. Characters referee generated or randomly?
Making them randomly is fun but as a ref. you never know what you are going to get.
Pre-generated may feel a bit artificial but they often fit the story better.
I hear Wilmington is quite pretty this time of year.
Sir Dameon sounds like a good in between point
All we need is for robject to get a Learjet and we are set
:D

Back