• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Liscensing Questions

I'm wondering about aspects of the Open Game Liscence, in CT the rules were designed to be used for a generic science fiction RPG. If somebody wanted to use the T20 rules for an unofficial setting and try to publish them, would this violate QuikLink Interactive's copyright? Would it also violate the liscence agreement between Far Future Enterprises and QuikLink Interactive?
I'm curious about the legalities of this because I can see it getting damned messy real quick.

DISCLAIMER: IANAL

It's up to QuikLink to clearly identify the OGC's they're willing to share in the T20 core rulebook, and since this is licensed product, the material must be reviewed by Far Future Enterprise to ensure that any trademarks are still protected, even when used as part of the OGC (what the OGL called them Product Identity or PI).

Once they do that and attach the Open Gaming License to the product, there is no turning back. Once it is Open it stays Open, and anyone can use it royalty-free (as long they too abide by the OGL and cite this source in the Copyright Notice section of the license).

------------------
Anyhoo... just some random thoughts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reginald:
DISCLAIMER: IANAL

It's up to QuikLink to clearly identify the OGC's they're willing to share in the T20 core rulebook, and since this is licensed product, the material must be reviewed by Far Future Enterprise to ensure that any trademarks are still protected, even when used as part of the OGC (what the OGL called them Product Identity or PI).

Once they do that and attach the Open Gaming License to the product, there is no turning back. Once it is Open it stays Open, and anyone can use it royalty-free (as long they too abide by the OGL and cite this source in the Copyright Notice section of the license).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
IANAL, Either

Even uglier, but esentially required by FFE: certtain sections are defined as closed content, but the results of the processes in said sections are specifically open content.

Pluus there is that nastyness in the late 70's between JG and TSR. "Generic means it can be used with more than one game system, even if it clearly targets only one" was the essential result. So, Could write a 3rd party module, seek neither liscence, and use traveller stats, so long as I avoided the trademarks, and if I mention how to use it with Space Opera, it's a generic module, and not a license issue.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

Again, IANAL.

You could ... but then the purpose of this product is to get recognition from those gamers who played D&D 3e and other d20-based products because of the trademark.

I mean anyone could buy any pair of generic basketball shoes (especially at Payless), but slap an Air Jordan trademarked logo and watch those sales come pouring in (not that Nike needed to but then they're a competitive lot).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Reginald (edited 26 November 2001).]

Marc and I will be working closely to define what is and is not OGL in T20. Basically this is likely much of what will be (off the top of my head), but again Marc has final approval:

Vehicle, World, and Ship Stat blocks
Combat
Skills
Feats
Classes

Hunter

Hunter.

A game designer friend told me that hit points MUST be level based to be concidered part of the OGL. What is your opinion/legal interpriation on this?

Darryl

------------------
SOLSEC makes Echelon look like a joke!

DISLAIMER: IANAL

Looking through the the d20 Guide, I find no context to support the claim your friend made. What I can tell you that "hit point" is most often associated with the current health system mechanics in Dungeons & Dragons.

But if you're using a different mechanics and you don't want to confuse d20 gamers, use a different term, like "wounds" or "life points."

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solar_shipping:
Hunter.

A game designer friend told me that hit points MUST be level based to be concidered part of the OGL. What is your opinion/legal interpriation on this?

Darryl
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's dead wrong. The d20 material or SRD is a different beast from the OGL. You can produce anything under the OGL, including a totally new game with new mechanics. The OGL just means that part or all of the work will be available for use by other parties under the OGL license agreement.

There are some stipulations to using the d20 License but requiring a specific use of hit points is not one of them. In T20 for example, we use Lifeblood and Stamina. Similar but different from the Wounds/Vitality system in d20 Star Wars.

Hunter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunter:
He's dead wrong. The d20 material or SRD is a different beast from the OGL. You can produce anything under the OGL, including a totally new game with new mechanics. The OGL just means that part or all of the work will be available for use by other parties under the OGL license agreement.

Hunter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply Hunter, I thought that was the case, but he has been active on one of the OGL message boards and there seems to be a flame war going about the issue.

Personally I am releaved, as I like the idea of killing a 20th level character with a shotgun......

------------------
SOLSEC makes Echelon look like a joke!

Not if you are playing that character who finally achieve 20th level, only to be gunned down by a rookie.
biggrin.gif

------------------

Back