• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

laser ranges

Hello loconius,

I am not sure what you are asking in the following:
"since lasers are sensor range does taht mean they can shoot at anything detected at no penalty what so ever?!?"

My take on what is being asked is as follows:

Since lasers are used as sensors for range can a laser weapon system shoot at a target detected by a laser range finder without any penalties.

That depends on what is between the two combatants in question. In atmosphere there are penalities for natural weather and countermeasures. In space combat again natural materials or countermeasures (sandcasters), or maneuvering will have affects on hitting the target.

Hope that is a correct answer

what i meant was if there were any penalties to shooting something that is way out of the range of any other weapon in the entire galactic imperium. i can't find anything detrimental about firing at something super far off (though reality would state that the laser looses effectiveness, i can't find any rules for it). so would every weapons platform in existence have at least one laser to make it even capable of fighting a target that could pick it off from the edge of sensor range (and well beyond that of any weapon)

Evening again loconius,

Ah, okay that cleared up the original question, so here is another go at an answer. Referring to Chapter 12 Design sequences p 272 Available Turret Weapons Table:

Laser Range
Mining 15,000 km/Close
Beam 30,000 km/Short
Pulse 45,000 km/Short

"Range: The range at which this weapon may engage without penalty."

Chapter 8 Combat Starship/Spaceship Communications, Sensors, and Weapon Ranges p154:

"For each range band past a system's standard range it suffers a -2 penalty to any skill checks, attack rolls, etc., and any damage roll is reduced by 1 die."

Hope this one is more helpful

summarising above - Yes you can shoot at anything you can see - if you have a laser.

However if it is out of your "range" you will probably miss. There is no "max" range with a laser - vs a slug thrower ( eventually the bullet will hit the ground, no matter what angle you fire it at)

Originally posted by The Mink:
summarising above - Yes you can shoot at anything you can see - if you have a laser.

However if it is out of your "range" you will probably miss. There is no "max" range with a laser - vs a slug thrower ( eventually the bullet will hit the ground, no matter what angle you fire it at)
Morning Mink,

The tables on pp 272 through 275 all show maximum effective damage range. After this range damage drops and at some point the beam, regardless of energy weapon (laser, particle, fusion, plasma, or meson), will cause no damage. Now one can argue that the range at which damage drops off is maximum range. The analogy of the bullet is only partially correct on an orbital body with a gravity the bullets range is very limited, but a beam/energy weapons abitlity to cause damage is affected by several factors. In vacuum the slug/bullet has a much longer range and still has, in theroy anyway, enough energy to cause damage on impact.

Evening loconius,

I am wondering if my second post was closer to the answer you were looking for on laser ranges/penalities.

what about vehicle lasers?

Vehicle lasers have the same ranges as your sensors - see page 154 for the details of these.

Originally posted by LordRhys:
What about vehicle laser ranges?

:confused:
As the Mink indicated THB p 154 references the same data for ground/atmospheric craft as for space/starships when talking about energy/beam weapon systems.

Back