• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

LASER HUMMER IN IRAQ

Beat me to it. I hear they are thiunkng about using it to protect convoys from IEDs, but since they're mostly buried or in cars...

I've been hearing rumors about these soliud-state laser for about five years. Nice to see they're not vaporwear.

This means the Airborn Laser either is or soon will be operational. Explains how we can be patient about North Korea.

I don't think you could use a zeus-type laser to protect from IEDs -- it can't detonate an explosive without (a) locating it, and (b) focusing energy on it for at least a moderate period. If you can accomplish those two things, the IED isn't much of a threat anyway.

Originally posted by Anthony:
I don't think you could use a zeus-type laser to protect from IEDs -- it can't detonate an explosive without (a) locating it, and (b) focusing energy on it for at least a moderate period. If you can accomplish those two things, the IED isn't much of a threat anyway.
The other problem is avoid hitting the gas tank on a plain old car (assuming the LASER penetrating the vehicle's body), and sending some innocent driver to kingdom come.

Movies notwithstanding, gas tanks do not blow up particularly easily.

However, a 10 kW Nd:YAG laser is certainly hazardous for lots of reasons (it would be prone to blinding people, not only directly, but though indirect scatter and reflections), though not obviously more dangerous than simply opening up with a machinegun.

Speaking on the subject of RL lasers... Does anyone know if the Neutilus system is still under development? It was a joint US/Israel project to create a truck-portable laser that could shoot down rockets and artillery shells, especially the cheap solid-fuel rockets that the Hizballah liked to use in the Lebanon war (and that the Hammas mimic these days). IIRC, it was also supposed to shoot down helicopters; a later version was designed that could shoot down planes.

MIlitary rumors persist of blinding lasers, more likely dazzlers used during Desert Storm. The last I heard the US version was called Saber. Did a google search and viola.

Saber

In all fairness though it appears that the Soviets deployed the first dazzlers, and may even have had the first man portable dazzlers.

The battlefield laser exists. One more step to the Laser Carbine.

Originally posted by Anthony:
Movies notwithstanding, gas tanks do not blow up particularly easily.

However, a 10 kW Nd:YAG laser is certainly hazardous for lots of reasons (it would be prone to blinding people, not only directly, but though indirect scatter and reflections), though not obviously more dangerous than simply opening up with a machinegun.
Quite true, but if I were a terrorist I'd probably rig the explosive near the gas tank for maximum effect. And I think most tanks on most cars are underneath the rear passenger seats (IIRC).

Originally posted by Bhoins:
MIlitary rumors persist of blinding lasers, more likely dazzlers used during Desert Storm.
Blinding lasers are fairly trivial to construct, but lasers specifically designed to blind are illegal. However, lasers with an incidental effect of blinding are legal (a vehicular laser rangefinder is bright enough to be a vision hazard).

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
Speaking on the subject of RL lasers... Does anyone know if the Neutilus system is still under development? It was a joint US/Israel project to create a truck-portable laser that could shoot down rockets and artillery shells, especially the cheap solid-fuel rockets that the Hizballah liked to use in the Lebanon war (and that the Hammas mimic these days). IIRC, it was also supposed to shoot down helicopters; a later version was designed that could shoot down planes.
American term for the project is the Mobile Tactical High-Energy Laser (MTHEL)
From a Northrup/Grumman press release:
"REDONDO BEACH, Calif., Aug. 26, 2004 -- The Tactical High Energy Laser, built by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) for the U.S. Army, shot down multiple mortar rounds Aug. 24, proving that laser weapons could be applied on the battlefield to protect against common threats.

"In tests representative of actual mortar threat scenarios, the THEL testbed destroyed both single mortar rounds and mortar rounds fired in a salvo at White Sands Missile Range, N.M."

And from their website,
"THEL, now renamed the MTHEL Test Bed, has shot down 28 operational, captured katyusha rockets, including salvo shootdowns and a highly successful surprise attack test.
In an unprecedented recent development, the MTHEL Test Bed shot down five our of five artillery shells in successive tests. Government officials who witnessed these tests have called this capability "revolutionary."
An MTHEL Concept and Technology Development effort has already begun. With the proper funding and support, MTHEL could produce its first shootdown in 2007
"

My understanding is that the test bed is a COIL (Chemical Oxygen Iodine Laser) in the 100 KW class about the size of a double-wide mbile home.

The 2007 prototype will fit in an APC. almost certainly using solid-state lasers

More like "Hammer's Slammers."

You may have heard about the USMC version of the F35 has a lift fan between the engine and the pilot. I have heard from several sources that the Air Force may put a 100 kw laser in this space.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
The 2007 prototype will fit in an APC. almost certainly using solid-state lasers
Fits an APC? impressive! We're really moving closer and closer to TL8!

So you say that the early compact (vehicle or even man portable) would be chemical ones? interesting. I know almost nothing about this kind of lasers, so where is the chemical stored? Would a TL8 laser carbine's backpack be actually a chemical tank?

A solid state laser is not a chemical laser -- it uses direct electrical power input. However, the current generation of high energy lasers are generally deuterium fluoride chemical lasers.

The challenge is fitting the laser itself, not the power supply. It only needs a 1 MW power source.

And they're not talking about fitting it into an APC, they're talking about fitting it into an HMMWV.

A chemical laser is essentially a rocket buring exortic chemicals where some of the energy is extracted in a laser beam at right angles to the nozzle.

It is large, hot, and dangerous but it has high power. It is used for demonstrations and tests, but it is not realy portable. The Airborne Laser took up an entire 747, half of which were tanks of chemicals. The THEL (testbed for the MTHEL) is about the size of a double-wide mobile home, say 10m x 20m x 4m high.

But "solid state" lasers (apparently banks of bright LEDs pumping a crystal) are 1/100 the size, more efficient, and don't have a hot, toxic, exhaust.

Back