• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Kudos to Flynn

Shadowdancer

SOC-14 1K
I had the pleasure this weekend to attend Overload-a-Con gaming convention in Austin. A friend and I played in two T20 sessions run by our very own Flynn. What a blast we had!

In the first session, there were only three players. The adventure involved us being invited to go an a big game hunt on a lush, jungle-filled planet. There were lots of large, dinosaur-ish reptiles about. The hunt got cut a little short when on the first day, the ship's pilot and our host were both almost killed by a charging rhino-esque creature. The pilot -- a PC -- was gored and ripped in two. :eek:

But we all had a good time, and Flynn did a wonderfully consistant, and passably good, Sean Connery imitation for one of the NPC's voices. And his descriptions -- very evocative -- of the planet's socio-economic setting reminded me of the movie "White Mischief," for anyone who has seen it.

For the second session, we had the same three players plus two more. We got to go shopping for fun new toys in a lawless pirate haven, followed by a night of carousing. Then we had to go find a new jump governor for our far trader. To save time, we charted a fast interplanetary shuttle to go pick up the needed part at manufacturing and repair facility located elsewhere in the system. But of course, the place gets hit by Vargr corsairs while we're there, and we have to fight our way into the warehouse to get the part, and fight our way back out and off planet.

Our most severe casualty was our doctor -- naturally :rolleyes: -- whose vacc suit was punctured by a laser carbine blast, and he was unable to patch it. Two other characters attempted to help him, but for several rounds we all kept failing our rolls (I think the Syndite's hands were getting in everyone else's way). It was like the Three Stooges there for awhile; my character was Larry. We finally saved the Doc's life -- barely -- by getting him into an airlock. At least this time we weren't having to carry him in parts.
file_21.gif

If you ever have the opportunity, at GenCon or another convention where Flynn is running a T20 adventure, I would advise you to sign up. He runs a great game.

I was just thankful to finally -- after 19 years involvement with Traveller -- to get to be a player in a face-to-face setting. For our gaming group, I've always been the Ref. I've been a player for more than a year in a PBEM campaign, but this was my first experience as a player sitting around a table with other people. Great fun!

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:

[...]
The hunt got cut a little short when on the first day, the ship's pilot and our host were both almost killed by a charging rhino-esque creature. The pilot -- a PC -- was gored and ripped in two. :eek:
[...]
Our most severe casualty was our doctor -- naturally :rolleyes: -- whose vacc suit was punctured by a laser carbine blast, and he was unable to patch it.
[..]
What is it with Flynn and killing off (or at least trying to kill off) characters, preferably the doctor in his con games? Did you or Mark(?) play either the dead pilot from the first game or the doc from the second game? If so, that's not a good sign either: Flynn has it in for the players or Ref of our PBEM.

And for anyone thinking of joining Flynn at a con, yes, he is a good Referee. But, think twice about taking the doc! The only character to be injured or die in my con game with Flynn was the doc (played by me, of course).
:rolleyes:

Ron

Heheheh, thanks, guys! ;)

All targets were randomly chosen based on die rolls, or the amount of damage the character inflicted... at least in these cases. Yeah, these two scenarios were pretty high action, though I honestly expected the first scenario to become more high-action later on... but the herbivore did not Flee, and then decided to Attack, and after three rounds of moving up, was finally in range to gore someone. :(

My scenarios at GenCon are also somewhat action-based, though I will make efforts to lower the threat rating for the more discriminant player... this time, anyway. ;)

The person playing the Doc in the second scenario was a local, and not one of the PBEM members, so it's not that... just a bunch of sucky dierolls to try and patch the suit in a combat situation. :(

Glad I could provide a good time for you guys, and I'm looking forward to the next game I can involve you guys in.

Take care,
Flynn

PS, maybe I need to change the Medical Officer into a Virushi so that he can survive a bit better. Hmmmm.....

Hasta,
Flynn

While we're on the issue of praising - can I just say that I enjoy your posts Mr Flynn and I hope to read as good a post as before in the Far Future. Well done old boy!

Originally posted by Ron Vutpakdi:
Did you or Mark(?) play either the dead pilot from the first game or the doc from the second game?
Mark was the pilot. I told him not to stay in front of the charging beast. He thought he had backed up enough, but forgot about it's long horn, which gave it a reach attack.

"&#133the ship's pilot and our host were both almost killed by a charging rhino-esque creature. The pilot -- a PC -- was gored and ripped in two :eek: "

:confused: gored and ripped in two is "almost killed" in your game?

Originally posted by Flynn:
PS, maybe I need to change the Medical Officer into a Virushi so that he can survive a bit better.
Nahh. I don't think that would help since you probably would just feel obligated to give the bad guys something appropriate to compensate... like an FGMP. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I wouldn't trust a random person at a con to run a Virushi properly. More likely than not, you'd end up with a rampaging tank (though, that would justify the FGMP the bad guy just found his back pocket.
file_23.gif

Ron

Originally posted by Straybow:
gored and ripped in two is "almost killed" in your game?
file_21.gif

At first we were going to treat him as being dead. But we had some meds with us, including medical slow drug, so Flynn was generous and allowed us to attempt to save the pilot if we could get him to a hospital fast enough after administering the slow drug. He's going to need months of expensive rehabilitation and treatment, but it's amazing what medical technology can do in the Third Imperium. ("We can rebuild him. We have the technology.") ;)

If this had been a home campaign, I'm sure the pilot would have been dead. But since it was a convention scenario, and we were just playing for fun, we just went with it and had some laughs. Like when our guide told my character, "I'll carry (the patron, who was paying for it all), you bring the pilot." I said, "OK, but I'll have to make two trips." :D

Elliot, thank you very much for the compliment. It is greatly appreciated.

Straybow, my apologies. I think Paraquat covered it before I could actually get back to you... I allowed the medical slow to keep the character's upper body on the verge of death, and they brought both halves back for reattachment and such. The medical officer made an outstanding T/Medical check to save him, and then they dropped him into cold sleep before the slow drug wore off. Next stop, a high-tech world with a hospital and the ability to either clone body parts or manufacture cybernetic ones. ;)

Doing What I Can To Spread T20 At Cons,
Flynn

Must be the medication...

file_21.gif

Running games at Cons has been a pretty cool experience. I get to meet a lot of people, spread the word about a cool game system, and run more Traveller.

I highly recommend it,
Flynn

Originally posted by Flynn:
Running games at Cons has been a pretty cool experience. I get to meet a lot of people, spread the word about a cool game system, and run more Traveller.

I highly recommend it,
Flynn
-----------------------------------------
Even running unofficial games of T20 there, I can say "dittoes" to the above/ or in parliamentary terms, "I second the motion!" I got to meet folks here from CoTI that were merely icons and e-mails before.

Flynn's not wool gathering here folks! Ya'll come down and play! I'll catch ya in another year!

Back