• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Johnny Walker Irridium Label Distillery

Johnny Walker Iridium Label Distilllery Reserve Whiskey

The finest in Terran Scotch Whiskey - Available only from the distillery, as part of the deluxe VIP tour on Earth, or by appointment to the Imperial Household. Johhny Walker Irridium is aged for 100 years in the cask.

Base Price Cr 50,000 for 750 ml. During the Solomani Rim War the product was no longer available and prices on the spot market reached over MCR 1 per bottle.

[Remember friends don't let friends drink and astrogate.]

I Much Prefer the Gentelman Jack (Daniels) Black Lable "Bourbon" Whiskey.

The cost is not prohibative and the flavour much more agreable to my palate.
it is a fine product that is equally good by its self or as a base for exotic beverages (using soda, fruit or Rum!) :D

Well, I don't drink personally, but my father is always appreciative when I drop the following off for Christmas, Father's Day, or his birthday.

1) 114 Proof Old Grand Dad

2) Woodford Reserve

Peter Newman wrote:
Base Price Cr 50,000 for 750 ml.
I think it is too cheap.

A 60 year old bottle today costs about $15000. With a 3$ for a Cr. this means Cr 5,000.

My guess is that a 100 years old whisky would cost at least 10 times as much, that is Cr 50,000.
(If there would be anything left in the cask after 100 years.)

But since this is a genuine collectors item from Terra, the price would probably be 10 times higher. (Cr. 500,000)

To transport this to the Spinward Marches would probably add another magnitude in price... (MCr. 5)

Anyway, here are some whiskies that I recently tried:
http://berka.se/whisky-provning/

I also like Maker's Mark.

traveller_bourbon.jpg

"I think it is too cheap.

A 60 year old bottle today costs about $15000. With a 3$ for a Cr. this means Cr 5,000.

My guess is that a 100 years old whisky would cost at least 10 times as much, that is Cr 50,000.
(If there would be anything left in the cask after 100 years.)

But since this is a genuine collectors item from Terra, the price would probably be 10 times higher. (Cr. 500,000)

To transport this to the Spinward Marches would probably add another magnitude in price... (MCr. 5) - Berka"

I'd call the credit more like $3.50 US (2006), since it is close to the 1977 US dollar, but that's a small point.

The value of an older item depends on what the overall rate of return on investments and the expected inflation rate are. An old bottle of booze has to be worth much more, in todays economy, because the owner could always sell it earlier and invest their money. Given the apparent lower rates of return on investments in the OTU, and the apparent absence of inflation [Compare Milieu 0 prices to Milieu 1100 prices, they're about the same] older items have less of a premium. If storage and preservation techniques also improve with TL a much lower percentage of the product will spoil along the way, thus lowering the price premium for an older item. If you disagree, make it more or make it less than 100 years old.

Additional pricing assumptions are that a lower, possibly much lower, percentage of the population of the Imperium _cares_ about Whiskey than of the contemporary population. In the Imperium there are many, many, more choices in food and drink than there are now. A lower percentage of the population drinks Whiskey. Moreover too much of a preference for Terran products can be seen as a sign of political unreliability and a pro Solomani outlook. If all you eat and drink is Terran, because Terran stuff is 'the best', aren't you a Solomani sympathizer? Therefore I'm deliberately assuming that many of the Imperial Nobility (who have lots of money and set fashion trends), tend to shy away from expensive Terran luxuries, at least ones that the then Emperor does not use himself. If things are different in your Traveller Universe than you should raise the price.

Also, the product is a distillery reserve and sales are limited to one bottle per person per visit. It is intended to promote other, lesser, products where the real volume, and thus money, is. As such it might well be sold for less than a fair market price, as a form of advertising promotion.

But to be really honest the only reason I made it Cr 50,000 and not Cr 500,000 in the first place was that I figured that fewer characters have Cr 500,000 to blow on a bottle and that by making it Cr 50,000 it could actually be used in more campaigns, and thus would be more usefull, and a better post. By all means make it Cr 500,000 if you want.

However the Spinward Marches are less than 100 jumps away from Terra on a reasonabley high jump freighter. At Cr 1,000 a ton per jump thatt's Cr 200,000 for a whole displacement ton of cargo. If packed at say 75 bottles to a cubic meter (giving each bottle, which I'm assuming are high tech and nigh unbreakable, a space about 6" x 6" x 12") you could fit over 1,000 bottles to a displacement ton (not that you'd have 1,000 bottles of this). Therefore freight on one bottle is about Cr 200, which is insignificant. If it was really worth ten times as much on the rim than enough would be shipped in from places it goes for less that the price would reach a market equilibrium.

Also note that I'm not saying what form of Whiskkey is the best, that's off topic. I suspect other distilleries have similar ultra-ultra premium products. I just picked Johnny Walked because I thought 'Irridium Label' was a cool rift on their 'Blue Label' product.

Quite frankly once a good malt hits 25-35 years it's reached its peak. Some aficionados won't touch anything older than 25 years. My own prize specimen is a 37 year old cask strength Talisker (distilled in 1955, bottled in 1992, US 115 proof), a delicious, chocolatey, nutty hit.

Blends are a different matter. Many of the truly great blends are never even seen here in Jocko-Ghillieland. What makes a blend great is the art and skill of the blender. This has been suffering in recent years as great conglomerates that own the various brands no longer use a skilled blender but "throw in" whatever comes to hand. Johnny Walker Black Label is one that suffered in this way in the nineties though I believe has been restored to its former glory.

Back on topic, nothing wrong with a good blend and a premium blend has more value, better legs and more consistent flavour than a single malt. I agree with Peter, the price will be whatever the market bears and fashion dictates. The successful marketing of a premium product will also have a corollary effect on other products within the brand.

Me, I'm loading up on a ton of Chivas Consular to ship out to the joes, they love it.

Talisker, Lafroaig, and Oban are my faves. I could never understand how a people that made something as sublime as these malts went on to make Irn Bru!

Ravs

Iridium? If its not Jim Beam its not wiskey....iridium.....sounds like something out of a David Drake Hammers slammers book.

IRL - in 2004 "World of Whiskey" in the Heathrow Airport concourse had a bottle of something (IIRC it was a whiskey that had been casked in the 1930's and bottled about 65 or 70 years later) for the quite reasonable sum of

10000 pounds sterling - or about Cr5000.

Add in transportation and the vast increase in comparative rarity (The scotch drinking population it the 3rd Imperium has GOT to number in the billions!) and KCr50 seems quite reasonable! Of course, that would be for a single malt... JW's Blue label claims to be a blend of scotches 'including 60 year old' ones. As JW is predominantly a blender, I'd expect the Iridium to INCLUDE 100 year old scotch, blended with other, more mundane vintages.

Oh, and for the record, I did NOT buy the bottle, only drooled over the concept for a while...

Back