• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

It's not Traveller? OK, Why not??

M

Malenfant

Split from the TBR thread:

Originally posted by Jeffr0:
I'm not sure how far you can change Book 3 and it still be Traveller. Maybe just a couple of small changes to eliminate small worlds with too much atmo or Insidious worlds with not enough Tech or too much pop.

The distribution of the Book 3 rules defines the feel of the Traveller "Galactic Empire", for better or for worse.
There's many people who claim that changing the world distribution or how systems are generated etc would make the game "not Traveller".

I'd like to see some proof of this.

For example: Changing systems like Regina so that they orbit a single star (not a close binary with a white dwarf that should have fried any planets nearby when it was a red giant), or with gas giants in stable orbits, and so on absolutely does NOT make it "not Traveller". You can have the same people on Regina, the same history of the system, the same importance of the system etc. Nothing changes for the purposes of actual game play or setting.

Another example: If you had rarer habitable worlds, would it really make much of a difference to the setting? Most of the major worlds in the OTU are habitable anyway. Anything else doesn't need to be - those adventures that you have on the backwater vaguely habitable worlds can still be done on backwater uninhabitable worlds, in domes or underground caverns or whatever. The setting may change a bit, but the adventures and history etc can largely stay the same.

Another example: If you got rid of all the aliens, would Traveller really change much in practice? Not really, I think. You have enough variants of Humaniti running around as it is - most of the history of the Imperium just depends on the Vilani, Solomani and Zhodani being around. Given that most of the aliens are humans in funny suits, you can easily ditch the suits. Vargr don't need to be uplifted dogs, they can just be a specific species of humaniti (or just a bunch of people with their own unique social code, like Reavers in Firefly). Aslan could just be a race of noble warrior humans with a different social code. Hivers could be a more advanced race of human who like tinkering with other races. KKree and Droyne are more problematic, but then there's nothing really distinctive about the Droyne anyway, and the K'Kree could just be replaced with any ultra-xenophobic human race anyway. Heck, just replace Droyne with devolved humans anyway, seeded across space by a long-gone Precursor race. Or if you're being really wacky you could say that the "droyne" were a race of humans who existed on Earth before our current civilisations but who headed off into space (call em Atlanteans, I dunno
).

Either way, would making all the aliens human change anything in practice? I don't really think it would. So long as they acted the same as the existing races, the history of the setting would just be identical. Minor details would be different but you could still run exactly the same games as before.

another example: Would making the setting more realistic change the history? By which I don't mean changing how jump drive works or anything, I mean having a yellow sunlike star instead of a blue supergiant around this planet, or making the economics work properly in general or whatever. I don't think it would affect anything at all - you still have your empire in space, the psionics suppressions still happen, frontier wars happen exactly the same way...

So how exactly does making these changes suddenly make the game "Not Traveller" if those changes would have very little effect on the setting in practical terms? Is this just down to some peoples' impression that Traveller is just the rules (which never made sense to me in the first place, given that the setting is what's remained constant over the last 30 years, whereas the rules have changed frequently).

Thats very true, Travellers history and background is not connected in any way to the games (what ever version) rules system.
Changes to even major parts like as Mal said the aliens still has no effects to the setting.
You can plug Traveller into any system of your choice and its still Traveller no more no less.
This is for me one of the major bug-bears to the whole "do we need a new Traveller rule-set" issue because do we need one ?

:)

Yes, you could make these changes, and individually they wouldn't make much difference, but when combined I think they would make the OTU a different place. In fact, there would no longer be *an* OTU, but *two*, which defeats the object of having an official universe. Traveller is too fragmented as it is; I don't think it would survive a change like this.

I'm not seeing how there'd be two OTUs...?

Admittedly that was an extreme example though, my point was really that changes could be made 'under the hood' to the setting so to speak that wouldn't actually change anything practical about the game in terms of what you'd do in it or the history of the setting itself... yet some people would still say "oh no, that's not Traveller anymore". I just don't see how that claim would be justified.

I mean, let's say you have fewer habitable worlds. That would mean that the population concentrates more on the habitable ones. But instead of saying "oh, now they have to do 17 jumps to get to that backwater world that they could have done in one jump", instead you just put the backwater on one of the habitable planets. Now instead of spending months in jump, you have your adventure in a small town in the boonies on one of the habitable worlds - so the longer jumps don't become a problem anymore.

Either way you still have the same adventure as you would have had before, it's just in a different spot.

But the rules are no substitute for the imagination, if you don't like the results of the tables then just change it, after all there is no such thing as a table that can reliably and consistently give you realistic results, there's just to many variables in the universe at large, against what we currently know to be true or may specualte to be true. 3 or 4 pages of tables cant give you that variety.

LOL! Excellent, Jeffr0!

I am one of those lucky people who would revel in the mental image of planets orbiting binary stars rather than wondering whether it is in fact possible (because I would have no idea). It may be true that Traveller can be run along more scientifically accurate principles, but for me the idea of what Traveller 'is' was set down 25 years ago when I was in college, so revisions which change that mental image would make Traveller a different game for me.

Ravs

Originally posted by Commander Drax:
But the rules are no substitute for the imagination, if you don't like the results of the tables then just change it, after all there is no such thing as a table that can reliably and consistently give you realistic results, there's just to many variables in the universe at large, against what we currently know to be true or may specualte to be true. 3 or 4 pages of tables cant give you that variety.
There is certainly such thing as a set of tables that can give you much better and more realistic results than what was assumed 30 years ago. Maybe that set of tables itself will be out of date in 30 years but it's definitely better than what we've got right now

Originally posted by ravs:
[QB]I am one of those lucky people who would revel in the mental image of planets orbiting binary stars rather than wondering whether it is in fact possible (because I would have no idea).
Oh it's perfectly possible, don't worry about that.

It may be true that Traveller can be run along more scientifically accurate principles, but for me the idea of what Traveller 'is' was set down 25 years ago when I was in college, so revisions which change that mental image would make Traveller a different game for me.
But why? That's why I'm asking here - you're surely not saying that (for example) it will break the game if your planet orbits a single star instead of a binary.

Say you have a scout ship incoming with your PCs on it to land on a habitable planet orbiting a high mass binary red giant system (very unrealistic), with all the plot baggage associated with it.

Great. Now replace the binary red giant with a single sun-like star. Or even a double one, for all I care (with planet moved to a habitable orbit accordingly) So what changes with respect to plot, etc? Well, the 100D limit is now suddenly smaller... that's it though really. And most people don't care much about in-system transit time (and if they do, a good GM will give you have as much time as is required to complete the scene anyway and that's it).

So the only real difference is that the ship may arrive on the planet a bit sooner, and now everything's lit up with yellow instead of red light, otherwise the PCs disembark on the starport, and do their stuff exactly as before. Yet because of this sort of change, suddenly this isn't Traveller anymore??

For me there are few things that make Traveller unique:

The absence of FTL comms

Add "Lichtspruch" capacity to ships or even planets and the underlying fabric changes. Instant or near-instant communications unravels the whole need for nobility and local self government, allows quick reports of enemy attacks and fleet movements or prior warnings in case of a renegade Admiral from the Marches

The J-Drive and minimum size

While I do like universes where a Rampart-Sized fighter can go FTL I still won't integrate Stutterwarp or Kalups Linearkonverter into the OTU. Again the "1 Week and nothing can touch you" defines the universe, making advanced recon of targets hazy and the simple recall of a fleet in motion impossibel

The size

The sheer size of the 3I with it's multi-month message delays is important to a lot of the history of the 3I as well as to it's governmental system.

The Aliens

Maybe this is from the G:AR books that form the background for my view on Vagr, Aslan et all. But to me they are more than "rubber suit" humans. I could do away with the Ancients and make Vagr into a canine race. But without them the universe is different. This would be like the switch from the TOS to the Enterprise Vulcans. I prefer the latter(1) but they are different(2)

Used and dirty

This is not the "all white" TNE Federation of Seasons 1-3. This is Babylon 5, the CoDominion and a healthy dose of Domenic Flandry or Ryder Hook. It is a used, dirty and living universe. Change that and you loose what keeps most adventurers in the "game" in universe

On the other hand a lot of things are optional:

Sublight Engines

While I prefer the reactionless, 6-10g max Thrusters I can do with TNE's HepLar and I can do with higher performance figures. Won't change much IMHO

Planetary systems

IMTU humans settle three types of planets: Habitabel ones, those with extremly rare minerals and strategically important ones. No one settles a desolate, unimportant backwater "just because"

Ship sizes

I am a BSU fan but I can live with small ships only. Again, it won't change Traveller

(1) I HATE elves and like to see them getting kicked. TOS Vulkans are IMHO space elves.
(2) And some are a "fair size prettier" just like TNE doctors.

Would any of the following make Traveller into Traveller-Not, whether considered in whole or in part?

1) No Aslan or Vargr. Instead, an uplifted canine-feline hybrid (or precursor species) with intense curiosity and an unpredictable temper, which takes over the respective niches of the Aslan and Vargr.

2) "Stargates" as per the movie and series' of the same name, maximum one per subsector. They are usually located on marginal worlds, or in marginal environments on populated worlds.

3) A region of space that is at least one sector in volume, in which no culture has had any recorded contact with the Imperium or its neighbors. Technology is similar to, but not always the same as, normal Imperial standards.

4) A slight modification of the world generation procedure that provides a POP DM based on the the "867" environment of Terra, so that greater human populations occur on worlds closest to Terra's environment, and progressively less population on worlds that are progressively less like Terra.

5) A system-generation method that does allow for tide-locked marginal worlds orbiting brown dwarf stars, but that does not allow them to be the dominant star system form.

6) A rule that allows for a branch of the Psionics Institute to be found on a POP-8 world on a 2D roll of 12+.

Thank you.

I don't understand the bee in Mal's bonnet.

First In includes revised system generation rules. It includes options for making things turn out more like Book 3. It includes guidelines for GM's that want to take Traveller canon on various systems and make them more scientifically consistent.

What else do you want?

The things you care about only affect the broadest elements of the setting while the PC's are in-system. It can effectively be ignored in most cases.

I challenge you to create a detailed Traveller subsector with a corresponding set of Adventure Seeds, Amber Zones, Short Adventures, and an Adventure where the stellar characteristics of the systems are actually relevant to the game sessions.

It hasn't been done and it won't be done. This is maximum effort for minmal returns-- par for the course in post-CT Traveller supplements....

(edited for spelling)

I know First In went a lot of the way toward fixing these issues. But (a) a lot of CT fans start hissing and spitting at the mention of GURPS Traveller ;) , and (b) it doesn't actually change the OTU.

You're right, this is all background stuff, but the point is that if it doesn't harm anything to change them so they're sensible or realistic then you don't have much to lose by doing it anyway. If you have people who are willing to make the changes then can you really complain that they've been made if they won't change how your play?

And the "bee in my bonnet" here specifically is this: If these changes were hypothetically to be made, then you'd get people complaining that it suddenly isn't Traveller when in fact nothing practical has changed in game terms to change it from what it was before.

The purpose of this thread isn't to debate whether realism is better or worth doing - it's to debate whether actually making this sort of change would really make the game "not Traveller". If it doesn't change any practical aspect of the setting to do it, then why is it suddenly not Traveller?

Originally posted by Maladominus:
I do. It's called tilting at windmills./QB]
Actually, it's called "trying to have an intelligent discussion with people about something". :rolleyes:

If you don't care for or about the topic at hand, then don't waste everyone's time by posting on the thread.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
If you have people who are willing to make the changes then can you really complain that they've been made if...
You're misguided if you think anyone but Marc W Miller can make official changes. He owns the rights to Traveller, and only he has the authority to license it out to someone else or to "revise" the game in any significant way. And if your goal is to influence the direction and design decisions for the not-yet-released T5, then why is this outside of the T5 forums? Debating with someone like Jeffr0 won't do you any good to alter the development decisions that Mr. Miller will be making for T5 or any future Traveller variant.

Your best bet would be to email or get in touch with Marc Miller himself. But since you are famous for taking potshots at him and publicly demonizing Marc Miller at every opportunity in the past, I am quite certain that you consider him below you. Therefore, the possibility that there could be an information exchange (or dialogue) between you and Mister Miller is a moot point.

If all you want to do is to put forth your own (unofficial) House Rules of a more realistic CT.... uhhh, then who is stopping you? I can name several people on these forums that are already doing this, already putting forth proposals and house rule systems to enhance improve and "correct" Classic Traveller. Supplement Four, as one example, has been dishing out tons of excellent "house rules" material which makes this 30-year old tired dog "Classic Traveller" a lot more plausible and more balanced. He's put out effort to clean up the loopholes and cover the potholes of our beloved old game. And yet, I don't seem to recall Supplement Four picking fights and starting a bunch of terse dead-horse arguments with anyone about his ideas to make CT better. Do you?

Originally posted by Jeffr0:
My, we're touchy today...
No, I just have little tolerance for trolls who don't contribute anything useful to a discussion.

This is a discussion board - let's get back to discussing the subject at hand, shall we? Like I said, if the topic bores you or doesn't interest you then you don't need to post here.

Originally posted by Maladominus:
You're misguided if you think anyone but Marc W Miller can make official changes. He owns the rights to Traveller, and only he has the authority to license it out to someone else or to "revise" the game in any significant way.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion in this thread.

And if your goal is to influence the direction and design decisions for the not-yet-released T5, then why is this outside of the T5 forums?
...and again, this has nothing to do with this thread. I'm asking a specific question about what makes something "not Traveller", not "taking potshots at T5". I've not even mentioned it here.

Debating with someone like Jeffr0 won't do you any good to alter the development decisions that Mr. Miller will be making for T5 or any future Traveller variant.
What, so all discussion is worthless unless it's with someone in control? That's ridiculous. We might as well not talk about anything on these boards then.

If all you want to do is to put forth your own (unofficial) House Rules of a more realistic CT.... uhhh, then who is stopping you?
Nothing. I have a website full of my ideas and house rules for making a more realistic TU. It's in the link in my sig, if you'd bothered to look.

Now that you've finished ranting, can we get back to the question I raised please? I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand that they can just go elsewhere and post about something else that interests them if a particular topic bores them. Do you spend your time butting into verbal conversations and yelling at the parties involved to stop talking about it, or asking why they're talking about it? I'd hope not.

Back